Sign in to follow this  
m00se

[TC15] Project Cockpit

The plane is nearly ready, so time to tell about the full plan. I would like to make a sort of "cockpit" from where you can control a small plane. You'll be able to tilt the plane left/right and forward/backwards, and the ailerons and elevators should act accordingly. 

Working on the part that will be between the lifting mechanism and the plane. When the plane tilts forwards or backwards the elevators move accordingly as you can see in the next picture. The same will be done to the ailerons for tilting sideways. The propeller will also be rotating.

32375490148_abb1b7814a_b.jpg

Also made a first attempt for the lifting mechanism. There are three axles inside: forward/backwards tilting, sideways tilting, and one for the propeller.

45334914905_1b007f551e_b.jpg

Not sure if this will be the best way to do it. Have to use a lot of gears:

32375553568_66bcaf9375_b.jpg

Smal update, hopefully I'll have a productive weekend.

Plane attached to the boom:

46357941532_9d88811269_b.jpg

First attempt to get the up/down movement connected from the steering unit to the plane:

45685519334_d6f190fdd3_b.jpg

3 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Built from the 42055 again, I see? :laugh:

Absolutely. Bought some other sets already, but I haven't mixed the pieces yet. Still amusing myself a lot with the pieces of this one.

Two short video's showing elevators and ailerons with respective movement of the plane:

Edited by m00se

The movement seems to be very fluent, which is good. I like where this is going, though it certainly needs some clean-up (i.e it looks kinda messy right now). Well done!

5 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

The movement seems to be very fluent, which is good. I like where this is going, though it certainly needs some clean-up (i.e it looks kinda messy right now). Well done!

I agree on the messiness, and with connecting a last axle for the propeller it actually got even worse:

45805464134_dfda6873c6_b.jpg

Function will come before looks, but if I do have time left I'll try to clean it up a bit. 

Next up is the actual cockpit part which will be a steering wheel or joystick (don't know yet what will be the most fun.

On 12/30/2018 at 11:13 PM, Aventador2004 said:

I think you mean Aileron and Elevator. Flaps are always on the main wing.

You're right, fixed it.

On the steering wheel I want a mechanism where you have to pinch to make the propeller rotate, like in an old fashion flashlight. The problem is that with this the direction constantly switches, something you wouldn't want on a propeller. So, I looked for a mechanism that always generates output in the same direction. I found this by Sariel:

1.png

The problem with the above mechanism is that is doesn't work well if if it's not positioned flat as it depends a bit on gravity. 

So, eventually it became this using two differentials:

Yellow is input, red is output. Would probably look a bit better using actual differentials, but mine are currently in use in other models.

It does work great, but I'm not sure yet if I will implement it in my steering wheel. If it gets too bulky I'll leave it out and just use a motor for the propeller. That however would take a bit of the fun away. 

Here you can see the double differential system attached to the model:

46711278611_e0640a74d3_b.jpg

It works, but it adds a lot of friction and complexity while it is actually only there so whatever direction you turn the input axle, the propeller of the plane will always turn in the same direction. So eventually I decided not to use it, and focus on the more important functions. In the next picture you see how the steering wheel will be connected to the boom. Tilting this part will tilt the plane forward/backward, while the steering wheel itself will be connected to the turntable. An axle runs through the turntable to power the propeller.

31769786867_cc162fae39_b.jpg

It's mostly the steering wheel now that needs to be done, and maybe some visual improvements.

Ready! (unless somebody has some suggestions for improvement)

32927652838_4247aee9c2_b.jpg

Here you can see then steering wheel which has following functions:

- Move up/down -> Plane moves up or down

- Tilt forwards/backwards -> Plane tilts + elevators move accordingly

- Turn -> Plane tilts sideways + ailerons move accordingly

- Small wheel on the right side of the steering wheel -> turn propeller

46078482204_351d542f53_b.jpg

32927652698_90af63fb2c_b.jpg

46078482164_83695b66fd_b.jpg

Video of the plane in action coming soon.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:16 AM, m00se said:

- Move up/down -> Plane moves up or down

- Tilt forwards/backwards -> Plane tilts + elevators move accordingly

- Turn -> Plane tilts sideways + ailerons move accordingly

This is so cool ! When all movements are done simultaneously, it will look really natural.

Looking forward to the video.

cant wait to see this in action! its almost a shame the plane is so small compared to the controls, but this is still great to have 'realistic' flight controls by hand :thumbup:

16 hours ago, iLego said:

This is so cool ! When all movements are done simultaneously, it will look really natural.

It does, it is however also rather difficult!

Next weekend I'll make the video.

Very cool build! All controls are working nicely, some real intricate linkages and gear tranflsfers going on there. It looks rather difficult to make a nice 'flight' sequence in a single video take, kudo's for that!