Sign in to follow this  
greg3

WW1 Light Track Laying Train WDLR [MOC]

Hi,

Following on from my recent railway MOCs, Simplex 20hp locomotive and P Class Ration Wagon, here's the latest addition to my WW1 WDLR (War Department Light Railway) collection... a small engineering train carrying some track.

31417601118_b0c3078d5f_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

It's based on this photo from 1916 I found online...

45292466411_f173c1ba5f_c.jpga6b52cda3624337af82080b0ea3adf71 by g.nat, on Flickr

As in the photo, the track is being hauled by a Simplex 20hp petrol tractor.. 

45292079671_26a5805837_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The load sits on what I think are pivoting wheelsets - the only reference I can find to them is this sketch (again found online) 

44570021334_2763580a87_z.jpgmilb10 by g.nat, on Flickr

Here you can see my LEGO version with the pivoting, load-carrying girder that allowed it to negotiate bends. (I'll probably add some chains/ropes to secure the load better!)

30352981547_4105ee4396_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

The actual track used for the WDLR was transported and fitted in prefabricated sections (60cm gauge) so this narrow track from 4DBrix is pretty close to reality (although the sleepers are a bit wide) so I'll probably be ordering a bit more of it!!.  

45242373142_7b71141ac5_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Final view... fortunately for my engineering troops, armoured locos are on the way!! (watch this space!)

45292079231_c99181c59a_c.jpgUntitled by g.nat, on Flickr

Anyway, thanks for looking - comments are always welcome!! 

Edited by greg3

It looks good! the MOC itself is really nice,and the minifigures really add something. I'm not sure about the plates on the ground.... maybe some more detail there? A few rocks and plants could go a long way. 

Anyways, keep it up! 

1 hour ago, meepinater said:

It looks good! the MOC itself is really nice,and the minifigures really add something. I'm not sure about the plates on the ground.... maybe some more detail there? A few rocks and plants could go a long way. 

Anyways, keep it up! 

Thanks for the comments... the ground is very much a WIP (I just wanted something to put the track on) as I haven't decided on where I want my section of railway to be set... I'd quite like to recreate photos of trains crossing captured sections of No Man's Land but that'll require a lot of landscaping (shell holes, dugouts etc)!! Alternatively, many lines ran through ruined villages or just normal countryside/farmland so there's plenty of options but for now I'm concentrating on the trains themselves.

I forgot to mention that the figures are from Brickmania.

What an unusual inspiration.  I really like the execution, you've captured the essence of the subject, without question!   Great job!

I'm really enjoying your models. You've really taken care to find out about your prototypes and to portray them accurately, so I salute your efforts. With the Centenary of the Armistice just around the corner, it's a fitting tribute to a vital, but largely forgotten, side of the war effort.

Another awesome WWI trench railway MOC!  You definitely captured that photo in bricks as well as how the Decauville system used by the allies during WWI was made up of pre-fabbed track sections that were carted to the front for laying track quickly & easily.  Interesting note is that the Decauville prefab  track in 600mm was originally developed as an inexpensive way to lay mining & industrial railways that was adapted for trench warfare logistics when the war settled down into a stalemate on the Western Front.  There are actually still a number of civilian Decauville system railroads in existence today, including many Hacienda trains in Mexico & at least one tourist train in Portugal.

I also recently got some 4dBrix narrow-gauge straight track sections, and I'm equally pleased with them (I also showed them to Cale during today's PennLUG meeting, and he seemed reasonably impressed with them as well).

Once finished I think instead of the plate behind the build if you printed off the historical pictures and glued to some cardstock that would make an impressive little display!