Sign in to follow this  
monaghanman

Washing in Dishwasher

Hi, 

I've a huge 30 yr old collection & have had complete success washing old models in the dishwasher. Came out like new (bar the faded whites). Wondering if power function motors would come out in working order. Would be a big task removing all pf elements. Has anyone tried a motor / leads / empty battery box in the dish washer? Any advice??

Thanks

They contain the metallic and electric parts that will have an oxide cover that will break them. I would be advised to remove the PF parts from the models, disassemble them and apply some Loctite-like electric parts cleaner.

The faster you did that the more chance to save them and revive.

If you have intention to never use PF parts do whatever you want, otherwise no liquids should be in contact.

Another advise is not to use dishwasher. Major concern is the hygiene - you never know what LEGO models contain and programs used for cleaning are not hot enough to kill the bacteria. Another concern is the cleanliness - I did not to test it, but keeping in mind the way dishwasher performs it doesn't look to clean the parts well. I'm using washing machine instead.

Option a) disassemble, put all parts in a pillow-case and put in the washing machine on 30 degrees, then have the pleasure of rebuilding..

Option b) disassemble, put all parts in a pillow-case and put in the washing machine, then have the pleasure of MOC-ing like the fury with all those parts!!! Poor things sat on a shelf, unused, gathering dust... after all, lego's not an ornament, it's for building with!!!

(other opinions are available..:classic:)

Dishwasher uses high pressure water jets.  Chances are good that water will be forced into your power function motors and electronics.  It can lead to short circuits and corrosion.

When I think my models are to dirty, I take them apart and was the parts by hand in water with some dishwashing liquid.

The motor, battery boxes and other electronic or metal parts I just use a wet dish cloth, otherwise they get damaged (as mention before).

This way I get the uppertunity the build the model again. It keeps me building without having to buy new boxes :wink:

Generally, don't wash electrical parts.  It lets the magic smoke out :wink:

(There are exceptions, but eh).

Edited by andythenorth

Just to double check... is the question actually 'can i put electrical parts through a dishwasher..' ?!

And don't warm your bath with a 2 bar electric fire either!!

this is the craziest question I've seen for a while

Putting toy motors, that are obviously NOT watertight in a dishwasher, and expecting them to survive???

Do you want corrosion?  because that's how you'll get corrosion (and dead motors)

This is the only Lego motor I'd trust through a dishwasher:

48064c01.png

Seriously... don't be lazy... pull the models apart, and get the motors/electrical parts out, and then wash them.

Not that I'm advocating it, but to answer my own question, yes, a motor can survive a dishwasher. Tried one about a month ago, still working 100%. 

As corrosion is a process that takes time, that wouldn't be the issue if dried out fully and quickly. Ide be more concerned about the heat causing warping of any Lego element. Think I saw somewhere you need to keep it at or below 40 degrees Celsius.

Edited by allanp