Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

6 minutes ago, Atrius Kain said:

Lego making sets based on War of Rohirrim is not crazy though, if they ever do retail playsets again it's with that release. I think they even got the license back for it.

Not crazy, just entirely unlikely.

It's an anime prequel movie based in Peter Jacksons version of Middle Earth focusing on war between Men.

I mean, c'mon. Do you actually believe they got the license back for that?

3 minutes ago, Atrius Kain said:

They usually bring licenses back when new media releases so that's why I thought so. The Amazon series is not made by WB and I can see War of Rohirrim as an excuse to make sets.

They do bring back licenses when new media releases, but this decision was obviously more influenced by the Amazon series, even if it's not made by WB.

LEGO even mentions it on the website.

That doesn't mean I'm expecting sets based on the show. It's like when Fantastic Beasts released and they just used the opportunity of Harry Potter being back on everyone's minds to bring back the theme as well. I mean, sure there was one Fantastic Beasts set, but I remember that staying on shelves and they didn't try again.

But I also imagine the fact that Rings of Power simply wasn't received well by fans and critics, and that it wasn't getting nearly the viewership Amazon hoped for also influences LEGO to some degree. Rings of Power came and went. No one seems to want more of it, or Lord of the Rings media in general.

It's not like Marvel, or Star Wars, or even Harry Potter where a ton of people are always clamouring up for more.

Yes, fans are curious about the new movie, and anime has become a lot more mainstream over the past decade, but that movie ain't gonna be pulling numbers.

I don't wanna be a downer y'all. But at this point I'm really not expecting more than the Brickheadz (which are an extremely niche product and I assume the people at LEGO are aware of that) and the D2C set. We could get more if the D2C is gonna sell well, or if it doesn't sell terribly and some people at the company will be pushing for more.

LEGO is in a position where they can have sets and themes and designer's vanity projects on shelves that sell poorly without taking a big risk. So at least there's that.

2 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

.... not just AFOLs who in some cases already have half the characters from the last range.

Just half? Lightweights!

I’m not sure the last run of sets should even be taken much into account in a reboot. Ten years is a long time and lego designs have come a long way. The sets certainly hold up today, but there a lot of improvements that could be made for new versions of them, even for ones like Helm’s Deep and Bag End which are some of the stand outs from last time. I would prefer if things we didn’t get last time were prioritized but I think it’s very silly to say they don’t need to remake ten year old sets for a reboot

1 hour ago, Alegrispa said:

But I also imagine the fact that Rings of Power simply wasn't received well by fans and critics, and that it wasn't getting nearly the viewership Amazon hoped for also influences LEGO to some degree. Rings of Power came and went. No one seems to want more of it, or Lord of the Rings media in general.

RoP certainly was not really my thing, but it does appear to have been received at least pretty well by critics--it has got an 85% on Rotten Tomatoes for the critics score, which although is not always the best metric, does mean it was generally well liked by reviewers. I do know what you mean, though--LotR just is not popular the same way other licensed themes are.  With that said, I would have said the same about Avatar and Indiana Jones, and both of those are getting a revival in popularity based on a new property, so perhaps I am in for a surprise.

50 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’m not sure the last run of sets should even be taken much into account in a reboot. Ten years is a long time and lego designs have come a long way. The sets certainly hold up today, but there a lot of improvements that could be made for new versions of them, even for ones like Helm’s Deep and Bag End which are some of the stand outs from last time. I would prefer if things we didn’t get last time were prioritized but I think it’s very silly to say they don’t need to remake ten year old sets for a reboot

You are absolutely right. Take a look at the HP theme--the first thing they did was remake the important sets like Hogwarts, and even their second D2C was just a remake (albeit extremely updated) of the original theme's only D2C. They may not start with Orthanc this time, but if they are doing a full reboot, it, Helm's Deep, and a Bag End are certainly coming soon, especially considering how much they go for these days.

You know, I think there is a possibility @Legoman123 may be onto something about D2Cs working best--I honestly could see the theme having a small reboot, but maybe just doing like 1 mega set a year or so, like the modular buildings or something. That would allow for the theme to last for quite a while, give us insanely detailed sets, and target the market that most likes LotR. Obviously it does not solve some things people want such as army building, but I don't think anything short of a Star Wars sized theme could satisfy everything, and something tells me Lego does not want to do that. I would not love that, but I think I would probably be happy with that approach, to be honest. 

Why does everyone want bara-dur? It would be very similar to orthanc but without an interesting interior. They never even go there in the movie. (I don't have orthanc)

Edited by JimBaggins

21 minutes ago, JimBaggins said:

Why does everyone want bara-dur? It would be the exact same as or orthanc but without an interesting interior. They never even go there in the movie. (I don't have orthanc)

I don’t even know what to say to this. Barad-Dûr would be entirely different from Orthanc, they’re two completely different towers in two completely different places. One is indescribably larger than the other and has a very different design, not to mention a flaming eye since we’re talking about the movie version. As far as interior, it would give them some creative room to have fun with it, include easter eggs and make it interesting. But the exterior would certainly be the priority. I, for one, would love a massive Barad-Dûr D2C someday

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

1 hour ago, Brickroll said:

You know, I think there is a possibility @Legoman123 may be onto something about D2Cs working best--I honestly could see the theme having a small reboot, but maybe just doing like 1 mega set a year or so, like the modular buildings or something. That would allow for the theme to last for quite a while, give us insanely detailed sets, and target the market that most likes LotR. Obviously it does not solve some things people want such as army building, but I don't think anything short of a Star Wars sized theme could satisfy everything, and something tells me Lego does not want to do that. I would not love that, but I think I would probably be happy with that approach, to be honest. 

The difference with the Modulars is that there is no licence there. Are they going to have an exclusive licence then use it for one set a year but keep it going for ten years? It seems unlikely. 

4 hours ago, Atrius Kain said:

They usually bring licenses back when new media releases so that's why I thought so. The Amazon series is not made by WB and I can see War of Rohirrim as an excuse to make sets.

Is it even WB? I mean they made the movies sure, but the content rights have recently been bought by a Swedish company called Embracer group, so isnt it them that lego should deal with?

Edited by Sneakguest

Just now, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I don’t even know what to say to this. Barad-Dûr would be entirely different from Orthanc, they’re two completely different towers in two completely different places. One is indescribably larger than the other and has a very different design, not to mention a flaming eye since we’re talking about the movie version. As far as interior, it would give them some creative room to have fun with it, include easter eggs and make it interesting. But the exterior would certainly be the priority. I, for one, would love a massive Barad-Dûr D2C someday

Exactly, and who knows maybe if the tower features in the Rings of Power then we will see the interior anyway.  

1 hour ago, Legoman123 said:

Exactly, and who knows maybe if the tower features in the Rings of Power then we will see the interior anyway.  

Well RoP isn’t in the same film continuity as the Jackson films so Barad-Dûr in RoP would look different anyway 

Well RoP isn’t in the same film continuity as the Jackson films so Barad-Dûr in RoP would look different anyway 

I thought it was?  It's like the Sequel Trilogy for SW is technically not George Lucas continuity but it is if that makes sense? 

37 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

I thought it was?  It's like the Sequel Trilogy for SW is technically not George Lucas continuity but it is if that makes sense? 

Nope it’s not legally able to be in the same continuity. There are already a lot of inconsistencies with the films as well, mostly in designs such as the Elven Rings and Narsil

4 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Seconded, I would love Barad-Dur (movie version).  It is probably the most iconic part of the LOTR movies (lots of parodies with the eye, it was in the Batman Lego movie, etc.). People who have not watched LOTR would probably at least recognize Barad-Dur in passing (not by name but the eye is pretty iconic).  Plus it would be a sweet set and an excuse to get a Sauron Minifig.  It also bookends the two towers pretty nicely (movie versions).  I was hoping this upcoming set was going to be Barad Dur, (or Minis Tirith).  I am happy with Rivendell and understand it is one of the only places outside of Moria to get the full fellowship together which makes sense for a reboot, but was hoping for something completely new.

I would also prefer new places in general, but do not mind repeats from the original run.  I think they will need to come out with actual sets to make the license agreement worthwhile (I have lost hope in this year, but am hoping for next year or a very late year small theme like Avatar got last year).  It would be nice to see some cheaper d2c sets too, like Dioramas, or things in the $200 range (like Orthanc was (I know inflation but as a reference)).  

Any chance the top-secret series (code name TITAN) that has leaked could be LOTR? I’ve seen a lot of speculation on Instagram that these sets could be the much anticipated LOTR sets, but I don’t want to get my hopes up…

71453 - 259 pieces
71454 - 237 pieces
71455 - 274 pieces
71456 - 434 pieces
71457 - 482 pieces
71458 - 494 pieces
71459 - 681 pieces
71460 - 878 pieces
71461 - 1257 pieces
71469 - 1389 pieces
Edited by sebastian666

13 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

Any chance the top-secret series (code name TITAN) that has leaked could be LOTR? I’ve seen a lot of speculation on Instagram that these sets could be the much anticipated LOTR sets, but I don’t want to get my hopes up…

No, sadly. That's for a new in-house IP called Dreamzzz.

3 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

No, sadly. That's for a new in-house IP called Dreamzzz.

Ugh 😴 Thanks for clarifying. Glad I didn’t get my hopes up 

I am hoping that they do wind up making system sets based off of the rings of power, and that the tie in one D2C set from the films with each wave. My preference would be all sets based of the movies, but I’ll take what I can get. They could make some interesting armies based off of the first season alone

12 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

Doesn't it get destroyed at the end of the second age anyway? So it would be different to the one in ROTK even if they were allowed to use the design of the tower from the PJ movies.

Just now, MAB said:

Doesn't it get destroyed at the end of the second age anyway? So it would be different to the one in ROTK even if they were allowed to use the design of the tower from the PJ movies.

In all honesty I am not the best when it comes to LOTR lore so you are probably right.  I do think it was prominent enough to merit a set from Lego though.  I've viewed a few sites that go into some detail on what was inside, it's worth a look if you are interested. 

It does get torn down at the end of the Second Age, except for the foundations since they were created with the help of the One Ring and couldn’t be destroyed unless the Ring was destroyed. Although it was most likely rebuilt much the same as it had been, if not stronger. But there’s really nothing that tells us for sure one way or another so they could easily use that as the in-universe explanation. But if we get a lego Barad-Dûr I would sincerely hope for the Peter Jackson film version regardless 

23 hours ago, Brickroll said:

RoP certainly was not really my thing, but it does appear to have been received at least pretty well by critics--it has got an 85% on Rotten Tomatoes for the critics score, which although is not always the best metric, does mean it was generally well liked by reviewers.

My bad, I was under the impression it was one of those shows that just came and went because no one really cared for it. I just didn't see a lot of it on my timelines. And the little I saw was about how some whiny YouTubers are losing their minds because it portrays Galadriel as a skilled fighter or something along those lines, but otherwise I've seen no strong opinions about it either way.

23 hours ago, Brickroll said:

I do know what you mean, though--LotR just is not popular the same way other licensed themes are.  With that said, I would have said the same about Avatar and Indiana Jones, and both of those are getting a revival in popularity based on a new property, so perhaps I am in for a surprise.

That's a good point, but again, the first season of the show is already out and the second likely won't release until next year. Avatar sets released around the new movie, and the Indiana Jones sets are also set to release around the new movie.

Back in 2021 I was really hoping they'd bring back LotR alongside the show, but the fact that that didn't happen has me doubting the return of a full theme. But I'd also liked to be surprised. maybe they're gearing up for the release of the second season, maybe they just couldn't get ready in time for last year. 

Edited by Alegrispa

It does get torn down at the end of the Second Age, except for the foundations since they were created with the help of the One Ring and couldn’t be destroyed unless the Ring was destroyed. Although it was most likely rebuilt much the same as it had been, if not stronger. But there’s really nothing that tells us for sure one way or another so they could easily use that as the in-universe explanation. But if we get a lego Barad-Dûr I would sincerely hope for the Peter Jackson film version regardless 

If they do bring one out I'm sure it would be the movie version as it is just too iconic to not do that, even if it appears different in the ROP.  I would just hope it wouldn't be microscale, just as I hope Rivendell isn't. 

@Alegrispa I think the only difference between LOTR/Avatar compared to Indie is that we are getting continued stories from those so popularity will likely increase over the coming years.  It's most likely that ROP won't be wrapped up until 2030 and Avatar is 2028 I believe, prefect time for merch to be continually pumped out.  It just seems too much of a coincidence that Lego would get the licence back for 2 brickheadz and a D2C.  I am pretty sure they only started doing Harry Potter sets again was because of Fantastic Beasts.

Edited by Legoman123

3 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

It just seems too much of a coincidence that Lego would get the licence back for 2 brickheadz and a D2C.  I am pretty sure they only started doing Harry Potter sets again was because of Fantastic Beasts.

And look at how that turned out. A few FB sets, but mostly sticking with the original HP movies. So they could happily leverage RoP for the media tie-in and still produce mostly PJ movie-based sets.

On 1/8/2023 at 8:17 PM, Brickroll said:

RoP certainly was not really my thing, but it does appear to have been received at least pretty well by critics--it has got an 85% on Rotten Tomatoes for the critics score, which although is not always the best metric, does mean it was generally well liked by reviewers. I do know what you mean, though--LotR just is not popular the same way other licensed themes are.  With that said, I would have said the same about Avatar and Indiana Jones, and both of those are getting a revival in popularity based on a new property, so perhaps I am in for a surprise.

While RoP appears to have been rated 85% by 466 critics on RT, it’s only rated 38% by 37495 users. That doesn’t bode well for potential sales of any RoP themed Lego sets. If TLG has any business acumen then surely any new Tolkien sets would be LOTR related, as the original appears to be more popular with the bulk of fans.