doug72

[GBC] Akiyuki Train System: Type 2 mods and improvements

My Vertical Train Loader as backup module to the pneumatic scissor lift:

When all pins are filled it is a full train load of 45 balls. I intentionally made a big inbox for it as it is the first module in the narrow train layout and therefore can buffer a lot of balls if for some reason the trains stop (e.g. empty battery). The belt is synchronised with the train so no balls are going to the train when it laves. Pushing the 90 pieces of 2L hoses into the track holes was a challenge.

Edited by Berthil

Looks good - hose into center track hole OK but how do you push a 2mm round hose into the retangular slots on the edge of the each track link.

Round the edges on one end a bit, put the pin on the other end and push down hard with a brick separator. Also possible by hand but only can do 10 pins on one night before it gets too painful :)

Edited by Berthil

18 hours ago, Berthil said:

Round the edges on one end a bit, put the pin on the other end and push down hard with a brick separator. Also possible by hand but only can do 10 pins on one night before it gets too painful :)

Thanks - tried it and succesful. I only have short length of 2mm hose & not much of the small track treads.
 I found it best to not cut the hose to length before inserting by hand.
Then cut to length & add the pin.
Less harm to finger tips !!

Don't think the mechcanical scissors lift is worth persuing , too many problems, so exploring another idea to transfer balls up over over the track.

Edited by Doug72

1 hour ago, Doug72 said:

I found it best to not cut the hose to length before inserting by hand.

That's okay of course. I made a 'mould' of 2L length to place the hose in and then cut so I was sure all 90 hoses would have the same length. That's a bit difficult when it's already in the track :)

10 hours ago, alanburchill said:

Here is the GBC from Melbourne Brickvention last weekend..... Train is at the start of the video. 

Thanks, looks to be a good event.
How did the elevator / dumper perform ?
I see you had a bypass arrangment with an unloader in case of problems .

Also viewed the videos that @RohanBeckett posted which shows your set up at the begining & end of the Saturday event.

Edited by Doug72

Overall, I was very impressed with the train.. a couple of minor teething issues, but it ran 95% perfect all weekend.. crowds absolutely loved it..

while chatting to people, I'd often flick the point, and direct it to the other dumper.. just so people could see the difference..

We both discussed the idea of having some sort of timed/activated switch, so it alternates between each dumper.

Not bad for a whole train module that was packed in a suitcase, and travelled 1500km!

Just now, RohanBeckett said:

Not bad for a whole train module that was packed in a suitcase, and travelled 1500km!

Amazing effort, well done! I also get many positive responses and questions about the trains. Especially from technically oriented guys who want to figure out how it works :)

Edited by Berthil

I had the crane loader on display this past weekend, overall it ran quite well apart from the last 2 or so hours when the chain snapped because it was catching on the liftarm

Im very surprised as to how well it ran and as an experiment i had one train built to the latest akiyuki design using the L motor and better bracing and the other built to the instructions. the M motor one would ran for a while and then slip in the bevel gearing, but the L motor one ran the whole time with no issues and plenty of power.

here is a video of the whole layout.

There is an updated train design from akiyuky? I recently checked his website and the provided instructions are still the old ones. 

Where did you get it? 

15 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

There is an updated train design from akiyuky? I recently checked his website and the provided instructions are still the old ones. 

Where did you get it? 

Is this what you are looking for ?

See Akiyuki Project - page 66 - Nov 21st 20118 for a posting by @9v system showing a Ver. 1 train using an L motor.

1280x960.jpg

Edited by Doug72

On 1/23/2019 at 12:04 AM, Doug72 said:

Thanks, looks to be a good event.
How did the elevator / dumper perform ?
I see you had a bypass arrangment with an unloader in case of problems .

Also viewed the videos that @RohanBeckett posted which shows your set up at the begining & end of the Saturday event.

The dumper worked very well... I think I only tweaked the adjusting cogs 2 or 3 times as after a while it began to creep clock wise that would cause a jam. Once it was dialled it that part was very reliable. The train lift was a bit more problematic. Some time the train would just stop at the top of the lift. Not sure if the engine was overheating or it was jamming. Def going to try the worm gear version with counter weight. 

23 hours ago, RohanBeckett said:

Overall, I was very impressed with the train.. a couple of minor teething issues, but it ran 95% perfect all weekend.. crowds absolutely loved it..

while chatting to people, I'd often flick the point, and direct it to the other dumper.. just so people could see the difference..

We both discussed the idea of having some sort of timed/activated switch, so it alternates between each dumper.

Not sure how we could mechanically change the switches for the output.... But I could take the easy way out and just have a mind storm sensor with a timer delay to change the points. 

@Doug72 thanks! But I missunderstood, that there is an official train update from akiyuky himself.

Regarding my lift:

In the meantime I was able to solve the gear rack Issue. Using a 1x12 plate instead of jumper plates was the solution. Thanks for showing me the way @Doug72

Driving in / lifting up / driving out works well now. 

Driving in and lowering the platform does not work. How is the stop-lever mechanism supposed to work? 

mnHHxPF.jpg

For my understanding the position of the lever should be in a more flat angle. Is there a mechanical stop or a rubberband missing? I am confident I built it according to instructions. 

Edit: two additional views:

rBd98P0.jpg

bVRJjuL.jpg

Edited by Frequenzberater

@Berthil

I would like to copy your pulley system of the lift (using the wedge belt wheels). 

Are there any usefull pictures available or would you be so kind to provide a few views from different angles? 

2 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

Driving in and lowering the platform does not work. How is the stop-lever mechanism supposed to work? 

For my understanding the position of the lever should be in a more flat angle. Is there a mechanical stop or a rubberband missing? I am confident I built it according to instructions. 

You are missing 3L XOX connector block as indicated by arrow in 2nd image.

Here's two images showing my set up.

46858774461_7c448d49a3_z.jpg

46858768671_8b5e272c34_z.jpg

There should be images of my counterweight system in an earlier post, i will check and post some closer ones later today.

Doug

Edited by Doug72

2 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

Oh, there is one connector missing in my assembly. Thanks for pointing that out! 

See page 17 Oct 27th for counterweight images.

I will take some closer ones & post them later.

Doug

Edited by Doug72

Counterweights are filled with UK 2 Pence coins & are a perfect fit at 26 mm diam.

Edited by Doug72

Thx! I already cut four pieces from a 25mm round bar. Fits good! 

Iam sure your pulley system is a well working solution but honestly I like the visual appearance of berthils design a bit more. 

Lack of parts to make for counterweight  cylinders & string too short.

Edited by Doug72

3 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

@Berthil

I would like to copy your pulley system of the lift (using the wedge belt wheels). 

Are there any useful pictures available or would you be so kind to provide a few views from different angles? 

Did you check my movie of the dumper because I tried to show the pulley system in the movie. Also visible at the end of this movie. It seems I didn't make any pictures of it, I will do so next time when I have my studio up but may be take a while because I just had it up for vertical train loader.

I made this pulley system for two reasons. I needed to clear my DBG frame otherwise the weights would touch it. And I wanted to run the wires straight up to the pulley system (so 100% perpendicular to the carrier) to have even forces on every corner of the carrier for a smooth as possible operation. And actually third reason was I could use the standard LEGO wires without cutting them.

Edited by Berthil

14 hours ago, alanburchill said:

The dumper worked very well... I think I only tweaked the adjusting cogs 2 or 3 times as after a while it began to creep clock wise that would cause a jam. Once it was dialled it that part was very reliable. The train lift was a bit more problematic. Some time the train would just stop at the top of the lift. Not sure if the engine was overheating or it was jamming. Def going to try the worm gear version with counter weight. 

Not sure how we could mechanically change the switches for the output.... But I could take the easy way out and just have a mind storm sensor with a timer delay to change the points. 

Dumper timing once set should stay in sync.

I spotted the train had stuck trying to exit the elevator to the dumper in your video.
I had lots of the same problems the when using the Akiyuki version, hence the mods.

The chocks are much simpler & easier to set on the worm drive version and is not relient on rubber bands or trips.
You might be best to copy @Berthil version of the elevator which is faster for achieving the 30 ball / min.
The counterweights system definitly helps.

Re Auto point change over.
Might be possible to use a Vee reverser but with two inputs from unloader & dumper via differential to select the drive to operate it.

Edited by Doug72

Hey Doug72, Found your topic today.  On page 19 you mention the need for TLG to make a 24t clutch gear. They kind of have one already. It's part of the 16t/24t differential gear. I've been naughty and cut away the 24t end of the gear off. It makes for a real easy solution. And, it works great. 

1 hour ago, 1963maniac said:

Hey Doug72, Found your topic today.  On page 19 you mention the need for TLG to make a 24t clutch gear. They kind of have one already. It's part of the 16t/24t differential gear. I've been naughty and cut away the 24t end of the gear off. It makes for a real easy solution. And, it works great. 

Thanks for that info, I won't be chopping up a 16/24 diff as I have several modified white 24T gears and I also found a Lego legal solution as shown on page 20.