VBBN

REVIEW: 10261 LEGO Creator Expert: Roller Coaster

Rating  

93 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

Excellent review.  I have no room at home to display it either.

On 5/27/2018 at 5:46 PM, VBBN said:

It's good to hear I'm not the only one struggling to get the function to work here, I have the same issues; I have to send the carts through in the manner you mentioned, and additionally only one of my sets of carts will go up the slimb, the other one really struggles and while it will eventually "catch" onto the chain, motorizing the set will just throw it off.

I had problems with the chain as well. The fix is to shorten it. If you watch in action (I have the motor on it) you will see there is not enough slack taken up at the bottom where it passes through the arched\rounded technic pieces and the chain gathers there. I reduced mine quite a bit and it works perfect now.

I checked the chain piece I remove, it was 8 links. This is the video I recorded of it after the change.

Great review! I really like the designs of the booths. Pretty realistic! Although I wish the stickers where actually printed onto the bricks instead of.. well being stickers. 

Edited by JackStone

Nice review!

I especially liked the photos "from the inside": The way up and the smile for the camera! :wub:
While I still think this is very much money for a set with so many "regular" bricks, I realized in Billund when I first saw the real build, how gigantic it actually is!

That will make it even more unlikely that this set will ever be displayed somewhere in my house. :cry_sad:  I am seriously running out of space now and still have to find a place for my latest modular building.

Then again I will still have some time to get it  - when it is on sale somewhere.

Yeah the size of this set really sets it apart and makes it pretty unique trophy piece for those of us with the space available.

I agree the column build was repetitive at times, but I loved the way it went from feeling delicate and fragile to really solid and sturdy as the support beams were coming into place. And the build just went higher and higher. I had not really studied the pictures or even box beforehand so could not get my head around just how high it went as I was building.

I also had jerky and failing climbs but removing just 4 chain clips it’s smooth and catches every time. My daughters had clipped them all, so I just presumed they had not counted or followed the manual. I just removed the four to try, did anyone actually count how many comes in the bags vs how many the manual says to clip?

The height chart for the minifigs had my daughters all exited, and loved how the lady had an extra measure stick. We went to Legoland in March and my youngest one had been too small for the dragon coaster, so I think it made her feel really good that this very strict even in the Lego model :grin:

A last detail to share is the printed tickets. Did anyone notice the actual number on each side? 0937

It spells out LEGO when you see it upside down :tongue:

Thanks for the review!

On 6/5/2018 at 2:26 PM, Thor Lund said:

I also had jerky and failing climbs but removing just 4 chain clips it’s smooth and catches every time. My daughters had clipped them all, so I just presumed they had not counted or followed the manual. I just removed the four to try, did anyone actually count how many comes in the bags vs how many the manual says to clip?

A last detail to share is the printed tickets. Did anyone notice the actual number on each side? 0937

I counted 68 clips in once bag, since there were 3 bags, I assumed a total of 204. The directions indicate to use 203 links, so I left one off. Chain was jerky, so I removed 8 links and it works flawlessly now.

Outstanding review Veebs! Superb excellent work. When I saw the actual built, I knew I had to get it somehow (after I had resolve the display issue), as it simply take up too much space and is damn impressive for this breakthrough. :wub: 

Thanks for sharing with us and doing it in such a tight timeline.  

Nice to see in the video (5:33) that you can actually move the coaster around without major difficulties. It is quite stable! :oh:

And Jamie explained the issue with the added chain links: There are around 8 (!) spares in the set you don't have to use.

I love this set.  I've just sat there and watched the cars go by so much lol.  Love all the expressions on the minifigs, the little things like the photo booth, cotton candy machine, etc.  I really only have one complaint and that is the queuing line.  It is basically a circle no entrance or exit to the ride.  That will have to fixed when I get it placed in a display.