Skipper

[MOC] a fort.

Update 10 April 2018...

41358105831_7b28abc6bf_b.jpgFighting by A J, on Flickr

40463254035_a9c7432fed_c.jpgFighting 2 by A J, on Flickr

41314840202_56f40c65c8_c.jpgCrest by A J, on Flickr

Original post...

1522198533m_DISPLAY.jpg

It's been a very, very long time since I've regularly browsed this forum, let alone submitted a post of my own. This weekend I found my old redcoat army as I was cleaning the basement and felt obligated to give them a home! So I re-downloaded LDD, forgot my Flickr credentials so made a MOCpage(s?), and here we are now. This is in many ways a successor—and hopefully an improvement—to the last MOC I posted to this forum, Vanguard Fort.

Here's the front of the fort as it might look to an attacking minifig.

15221985871_DISPLAY.jpg

A view of the residential range. Downstairs holds a kitchen, mess hall, and cellar. The stairs lead upstairs to a 16-man barracks. To the left you see the ramp accessing the ramparts, as well as a small door leading to powder storage.

15221985872_DISPLAY.jpg

Here's a look at the powder storage. I don't have much patience for fiddling with interiors on LDD, so this—as well as the main interior—are quite sparse.

15221985883_DISPLAY.jpg

I leave you with a vaguely minifig-perspective shot of the ramparts behind the barracks. Note on the right a hotshot furnace. Fiery destruction awaits!

15221985894_DISPLAY.jpg

That's all I have. Comments and critiques welcome!!

Edited by Skipper

Terrific job!  Perhaps the best fort I've seen on here- primarily for its relatively compact size!  I also really like the sideways bricks giving texture to the exterior walls.  Very well done, sir!

Hey, looks good! Honored to have a seasoned member back. :classic:

I just recently got my first set of those small arched doors...I got them by accident actually! This looks like a fine way to use them.

MAC

Looks great, how did You get so many canons?! I love the fact that the fort is star shaped. The only thing that bugs me a bit is that single canon directly over the gate as it doesn't seem that it fits there. I'd also love to see some redcoats inside, doing their work etc...

One day, I hope to make a fort like this! This looks so realistic and well-excecuted!

Nice fort, would love to see some minifigs bustling about and some basework to contrast with the stark grey walls and bring some life into it though

On 4/2/2018 at 5:15 AM, jakbar said:

Looks great, how did You get so many canons?! I love the fact that the fort is star shaped. The only thing that bugs me a bit is that single canon directly over the gate as it doesn't seem that it fits there. I'd also love to see some redcoats inside, doing their work etc...

I was debating that cannon for so long! I too thought it wasn't the right place to have a cannon but I also have a weird obsession with MAXIMUM FIREPOWER. Your comment persuaded me to change it!

41314840202_56f40c65c8.jpgCrest by A J, on Flickr

12 hours ago, Ravelino said:

Nice fort, would love to see some minifigs bustling about and some basework to contrast with the stark grey walls and bring some life into it though

I made a scene of redcoats fighting the front of the fort. You're right, it looks much more lively! I would love to build out a whole system of outworks or a proper glacis but this model is already at the limit of what my poor ol' computer can handle.

41358105831_7b28abc6bf_z.jpgFighting by A J, on Flickr

Thanks for the feedback everyone!! :pir-sweet:

Edited by Skipper

6 hours ago, Skipper said:

I also have a weird obsession with MAXIMUM FIREPOWER

I think that I can relate :wink:

7 hours ago, Skipper said:

Your comment persuaded me to change it.

Nice to know! It looks much better now!

On ‎10‎-‎4‎-‎2018 at 7:32 AM, Skipper said:

I was debating that cannon for so long! I too thought it wasn't the right place to have a cannon but I also have a weird obsession with MAXIMUM FIREPOWER. Your comment persuaded me to change it!

41314840202_56f40c65c8.jpgCrest by A J, on Flickr

I made a scene of redcoats fighting the front of the fort. You're right, it looks much more lively! I would love to build out a whole system of outworks or a proper glacis but this model is already at the limit of what my poor ol' computer can handle.:pir-sweet:

I know the problem..my old computer even crashed every now and then just browsing too quickly through the elements at one time...my new one still does whenever I "blow up" a large project just to show someone how many bricks were needed would I build it IRL

The minifigs alone already add that much "real feel" to the MOC

I gotta say the front gate does look better without the cannon although it didn't bother me at first..