Sign in to follow this  
Francis Marion

How should I focus my money

I've been messing around with pirate stuff for a while now, but have no ships and only about 12-15 men. Should I focus my money on ships or more men

When I came out of my dark ages (somewhere early 2006), I focussed all my money on minifigs (Imperial Guards/Soldiers).

Only later I bought the Black Seas Barracuda and the rest of the pirate sets.

Welcome to Eurobricks! Have a wonderful time!

If you need any help or have any questions dont hesitate to ask me!

Well Francis its a matter of what do you want more.

Are you like Bonaparte, buying Minifigs and showing off you Glorious Army!

Or are you more into fun with you lego, I have modded my BSB and I only got like 5 Men but im hoping to soon get the Carribean Clipper, Armada Flagship and mabye the Imperial Flagship. After I will buy a the Imperial Trading post or make my own.

So which do you prefer and we will start from there. *y*

Edited by Joey Lock

I would say that minifigs would be the best choice, as you could make a ship anytime with spare parts but you cannot make a uniformed army with any regular parts.

How about both X-D

I'd buy Imperial Sets like the Imperial Flaghsip, Carribean Clipper, or Armada Flagship.

Then you get ships and larger imperial armies. *y*

However, i do recommend getting a Skull's Eye Schooner or preferably the Black Seas Barracuda.

Then build up your army.

Also, those two sets have the wider hulls, which is usually preferable when making MOCs.

That way you'd have ship hulls and a few mid-sections right away.

It all depends on what you want

Would ya like this turned into a poll?

P

When I first Crusaded to buy Pirate Sets, I thought that I would get the Medium sized sets. I looked and found which ones I liked best, and decided to pursue.

So, my first pirate sets (besides the small green-hulled ships which was years ago) was the Imperial Flagship, the Imperial Outpost, and a small pirate set. The Imperial Flagship and Outpost together give you a nice collection of Red soldiers, as well as two Admirals and a sailor as well as a couple of pirates. Later, I bought a lot on Ebay that included a number of sets, which were rather pieces to those sets. Anyway, that lot included the BlackSeas Barracuda and I think it was a good buy. After I had established these, I moved on to buy some soldiers and some other pirate sets.

So, what I am saying, is that a habitual switching of the two. Starting with sets then moving on to buy more sets or soldiers, or vice versa!

:-)

Yes, actually, I would like it turned into a poll. But I prefer men, but love ships in general, but I am confused as to what men are easiest to acquire, ships as well.

I think this would make an interesting poll actually.

I think you best bet is to start by switching around. I wouldn't worry about what's easier to aquire, rather what you want. You'd be better waiting a little bit and getting what you want, rather than a lot of stuff which you like, but is not your first choice.

I think Imperial Scouts has a good idea. Get a ship like the Imperial Flagship, and then buy some redcoats to go with it. That way you get your ship, and can begin to build an army. When you have a good army, perhaps buy another ship (either pirate, bluecoat or Armada) and then collect an army for them. That way you slowly get the best of both worlds.

Since you have 12-15 men, you can probably go for a ship first, and then build up the army for that group, but ultimately it's what you'd rather have at your disposal

How about both X-D
Would ya like this turned into a poll?

We shall need a new poll for April and I think this is quite a worthy topic.

In my experiance, what you need to do is perhaps start with a ship or two to build up your army of mini-figs with the men that come with the sets.

All in all I think that it really depends on what you want more and how many dubloons you want to spend.

Welcome to Eurobricks anyway! *sweet*

Regards, Captain Zuloo :-D

Of course building ships requires parts and if Mr Marion (you are male aren't you) doesn't have any pieces he won't get a lot of building done X-D

Of course building ships requires parts and if Mr Marion (you are male aren't you) doesn't have any pieces he won't get a lot of building done X-D

True. But no building can be done with just men and no ship....

Regards, Captain Zuloo ;-)

Yes, I am male, and my name is from the "Swamp Fox" Francis Marion from the American Revolutionary War. Also, the basic ideas I'm getting are to start with a ship and build my army from there. Is that right?

Bye the way,

thanks for all the welcomes

Yes, I am male, and my name is from the "Swamp Fox" Francis Marion from the American Revolutionary War. Also, the basic ideas I'm getting are to start with a ship and build my army from there. Is that right?

Bye the way,

Ah! Good idea. That's exactly what I would do.

Bye the way,

Hey , the easiest way to built a huge army would be to customize it. You can find good prices on torsos, heads, legs and equipment on bricklink. Think about it.

Hey , the easiest way to built a huge army would be to customize it. You can find good prices on torsos, heads, legs and equipment on bricklink. Think about it.

good idea gogobig. You may become a valuable asset to Euro Bricks....

Welcome to the forum :'-)

True. But no building can be done with just men and no ship....

Yeah, that's what I was saying.

Yes, I am male, and my name is from the "Swamp Fox" Francis Marion from the American Revolutionary War.

I probably should have done some research first X-D

The Francis Marion Wikipedia article says:

Francis Marion (February 26, 1732

Argh, u be accuire'n a ship, then finding a crew. nothin worse than a crew with no-where'd go! Best thing though is ta follow ya heart, no point following the wind if ya heart lies in the tides. Ya hear me ya seadog. (or swamp fox close enough).

I dont know which way is easier, If you buy 2 of 1 ship, such as 2 CCs and mod one bigger with a longer hull or start from scratch? But you decide which you want. ;-)

Im think of getting a CC, AF, IF, RR, well Im gonna try get them all but Im aiming for CC and AF. So should I start from scracth or mod? :-/

Very, actually, thanks a lot.

1. Buy a ship

2. Buy men or parts to make men

3. Acquire more ships and sets

Maybe change it to:

1. Buy a ship

4. Buy bricks to modify ships

Maybe change it to:

1. Buy a ship

4. Buy bricks to modify ships

You might also consider having lots of little ships rather than a few big ones. They're easier to transport and often just as fun. Think of the little trade boat from 6277 Imperial Trading Post.

You might also consider having lots of little ships rather than a few big ones. They're easier to transport and often just as fun. Think of the little trade boat from 6277 Imperial Trading Post.

I was thinking of trying to get a few emperor's ships off of BL and making a Junk fleet out of them. The ITP ships are cool-looking, but I don't know how to get one by itself. I also finished a small skiff tomorrow, with one crewman and one little sail, and it has yet to be named (suggestions are much appreciated).