Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return - Hovels

Torald rumbles in his pockets, pulling out a Garnet. This should do the trick. He focuses on the gem in his hand, letting it's energy flow through him. He then mumbles some words, given to him by the gem. He looks at the earth, envisioning the earth moving out of the way. 

Boomingham hangs back, sword still drawn, keeping one eye on the flower and the other on the witch. It’s been many years since he outright distrusted magic, but that doesn’t mean it can’t still be put to nefarious purposes.

”Don’t know if I’ve ever come up against a demon before,” he says as he racks his brain. “But who in Hell knows what the Regret really was.” Turning to the Demon Germ: “what would this Rose lady want with Heroica or the Oracle?”

8 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

What are you going to with this (thing) when it is out of the ground? I don't see anything to move it easily with, like a cart or animal. 

25404690297_36491a070f_t.jpg
"How do you carry all of your equipment with you without looking like a hedgehog covered in swords?" The witch pauses a beat, "I'll take it back to the Ozmath Marshlands with me for further study."

8 hours ago, Alfadas said:

Torald rumbles in his pockets, pulling out a Garnet. This should do the trick. He focuses on the gem in his hand, letting it's energy flow through him. He then mumbles some words, given to him by the gem. He looks at the earth, envisioning the earth moving out of the way. 

7 hours ago, MysticModulus said:

Sorry, a ruby!

Torald and Ezeran work together to uncover the plant. As Ezeran scorches the surrounding earth, Torald begins his excavation, both expending 5 Ether. At long last the roots of the plant begin to emerge, their white flesh blackening as a viscous dark sap is released with an acrid smell squelching Ezeran's flames. Intertwined around the roots of the plant sits a black leather bound book sealed with iron clasps.

35 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Torald and Ezeran work together to uncover the plant. As Ezeran scorches the surrounding earth, Torald begins his excavation, both expending 5 Ether. At long last the roots of the plant begin to emerge, their white flesh blackening as a viscous dark sap is released with an acrid smell squelching Ezeran's flames. Intertwined around the roots of the plant sits a black leather bound book sealed with iron clasps.

Ooooh what's that? A book? In the roots of an egg thingy? Interesting. Torald carefully picks up the book and examines it for any sort of clue what it might be about. 

"A plant growing from a book?" I question, scrunching up my nose. "Now that is most irregular!"

While the magic users do their thing, Eric keeps an eye out for potential trouble and looks around if there was anything else of interest in the clearing.

8 hours ago, Zepher said:

”Don’t know if I’ve ever come up against a demon before,” he says as he racks his brain. “But who in Hell knows what the Regret really was.” Turning to the Demon Germ: “what would this Rose lady want with Heroica or the Oracle?”

To me it seems like "she" wants a bunch of new "toys". "She" see us as something to play with, and make us do a bunch of gross things. With each other or "her". It creeps me out, just thinking what "she" might of done with me, even for a short time I spent with "her". 

2 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"A plant growing from a book?" I question, scrunching up my nose. "Now that is most irregular!"

As his attention turned to the book. That more like a summoning spell to me. Of course I am not sure why the book would have to be buried to get it to work. And I am a little hesitant to even try to open the book. Opening it might unleash more "things". 

4 hours ago, Alfadas said:

Ooooh what's that? A book? In the roots of an egg thingy? Interesting. Torald carefully picks up the book and examines it for any sort of clue what it might be about. 

"Is that? Wait don't!"

Before Elphaba can stop him Torald reaches out to grasp the book. As if in a stupor, Torald's eyes roll back in his head and he falls unconscious in a magical coma.

Boomingham grimaces as the Nord faints, and grimaces a second time over as he feels relief it's not one of his true friends in trouble. Even so, if not a friend this was a comrade and one under his leadership... "Damn it." He brusquely walks over and careful to avoid the book holds his hand under Torald's nostrils. "Well, he's still breathing. Haven't lost a man yet, glad we didn't have to start now." Crossing his arms he turns to the witch. "I'm guessing, from what you were saying before you were cut off by big boy's fainting spell, you know what this is?"

2 hours ago, Zepher said:

Boomingham grimaces as the Nord faints, and grimaces a second time over as he feels relief it's not one of his true friends in trouble. Even so, if not a friend this was a comrade and one under his leadership... "Damn it." He brusquely walks over and careful to avoid the book holds his hand under Torald's nostrils. "Well, he's still breathing. Haven't lost a man yet, glad we didn't have to start now." Crossing his arms he turns to the witch. "I'm guessing, from what you were saying before you were cut off by big boy's fainting spell, you know what this is?"

"That's a copy of the Pandemonicon. But what it's doing here..." The witch seems lost in thought.

11 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Is that? Wait don't!"

Before Elphaba can stop him Torald reaches out to grasp the book. As if in a stupor, Torald's eyes roll back in his head and he falls unconscious in a magical coma.

Now what? Am I going to have to carry him? 

5 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"That's a copy of the Pandemonicon. But what it's doing here..." The witch seems lost in thought.

Would Ezeran or I have some "natural" resistance to this book? 

15 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Now what? Am I going to have to carry him? 

“If you’re volunteering,” answers Boomingham, smirking.

He never thought he’d end up wishing he’d spent more time fighting demons or listening to Barty, but now that’s exactly where he found himself. Baba and the Regret was the closest he’d come and he doesn’t recall either of them using this book. He turns to his party. “Anyone know anything about this?”

With a warning forming at the tip of his tongue Ezeran is to late to save Torald. Anger and guilt building up in him he backs away a bit. "Stay away people! We must proceed carefully..."

"No, Torald!" I wail.

Quickly, I summon my courage and attempt to heal Torald.

Eric jolted upright from his slumbed position standing right next to a tree. Immediately, his hand went straight for Conspirator's handle, ready for anything. "Someone wake him up already!"

"Damn magic and its foul trickery", the Nord muttered to himself.

15 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Eric raised an eyebrow. "I can't remember clearly, but didn't we destroy the Pandemonicon when taking down the tower in Babeleth? Or didn't Byblos take the book with him to Hel? How much copies of this blasted tome are there?"

12 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Would Ezeran or I have some "natural" resistance to this book? 

"Why would you assume that?"

3 hours ago, Palathadric said:

"No, Torald!" I wail.

Quickly, I summon my courage and attempt to heal Torald.

Petaldan tries to heal Torald, but the barbarian does not seem injured only unresponsive.

2 hours ago, Khorne said:

Eric raised an eyebrow. "I can't remember clearly, but didn't we destroy the Pandemonicon when taking down the tower in Babeleth? Or didn't Byblos take the book with him to Hel? How much copies of this blasted tome are there?"

"There are at least three known copies of the book, two of which your Metasimian librarian had. The third belonged to the Green Witch, the member of the coven I told you about earlier, but she's long been dead."

38465719930_168eac110b_t.jpg
"So... we're just going to leave him here, right?"

2 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Why would you assume that?" 

38465719930_168eac110b_t.jpg
"So... we're just going to leave him here, right?"

Because I'm a demon that is why. (And Ezeran obviously is part darkness, if wants to correct me can speak up for himself.) Next Germ puts his left hand near the "book" to see what he could sense. 

I am a little inclined to leave you here with him (Germ seem to nervously look around) you know to keep an eye on him. 

Edited by samurai-turtle
Spelling

OoC: Is Torald still touching the book, or can we drag him around? I can't tell if Roderick is suggesting something or just being a dick. :laugh:

"We're not leaving him," grumbles Boomingham. "And as nice as a horrible magic book is, it's hardly what we came to investigate. We're still looking to see what in Hels happened to the Oracle. So, this Green Witch... which, you should know... you could be the green witch, if you folks are looking to name people maybe pick some names that apply to fewer of your numbers."

"In Eubric we've got a few people floating around that should be dead themselves. No chance the Green Witch was supposed to be buried round these parts, is there?"

"A demon and in the service of Heroica? Well then be my guest..." Germ reaches out his hand merely inches away from the book's cover and feels a slight tug on his mind, something beckoning him, drawing him in as if to share some dark and terrible secret.

1 hour ago, Zepher said:

OoC: Is Torald still touching the book, or can we drag him around? I can't tell if Roderick is suggesting something or just being a dick. :laugh:

"We're not leaving him," grumbles Boomingham. "And as nice as a horrible magic book is, it's hardly what we came to investigate. We're still looking to see what in Hels happened to the Oracle. So, this Green Witch... which, you should know... you could be the green witch, if you folks are looking to name people maybe pick some names that apply to fewer of your numbers."

"In Eubric we've got a few people floating around that should be dead themselves. No chance the Green Witch was supposed to be buried round these parts, is there?"

QM Note: He's no longer touching the book, and yes it's the latter. :tongue:

"Her tomb was under the Tower of Babel which no longer exists, you can be assured that if she wasn't dead before that she is now. I don't know what was summoned here, but whatever it is, I think it went to Eubric, not the other way around. Where it went from there is anyone's guess."

8 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"A demon and in the service of Heroica? Well then be my guest..." Germ reaches out his hand merely inches away from the book's cover and feels a slight tug on his mind, something beckoning him, drawing him in as if to share some dark and terrible secret. 

Resisting the urge to out right grab the book and unleash what ever dark powers it might hold. Germ simply answers the witch with a...For now. 

2 hours ago, MysticModulus said:

"We can't just leave him here! We need to figure out how to revive him!"

Well I could always do something stupid too, like grab Torald and then the book. Maybe, since I know what is going on, I would have some sort of advantage and get both of use out. 

I look back and forth, overwhelmed by all that is going on.

"Is there any history about where each of Heroica's original veterans is said to have died?"

"Don't know if we need the book - would much rather leave it with you, Elpheba, then take it back to Eubric, especially if things are looking bad there. Do we need it for anything?" Boomingham glances over his shoulder. "Regardless, it seems we're backtracking instead of moving forward. We need to figure out what the Hels was summoned and figure out where it ended up and if it has the Oracle with it or not. Are we ready to go back to Eubric? Ezeran, want to give me a hand with carrying Torald?"

22 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"There are at least three known copies of the book, two of which your Metasimian librarian had. The third belonged to the Green Witch, the member of the coven I told you about earlier, but she's long been dead."

Eric clicked his tongue. "Okay, then." He had been away from Heroica too long and his knowledge concerning these things had gotten severely limited.

17 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Her tomb was under the Tower of Babel which no longer exists, you can be assured that if she wasn't dead before that she is now. I don't know what was summoned here, but whatever it is, I think it went to Eubric, not the other way around. Where it went from there is anyone's guess."

"So it's back to Eubric, then? Well, at least I got to see this picturesque corner of Dastan. It has been eye-opening."

31 minutes ago, Zepher said:

"Don't know if we need the book - would much rather leave it with you, Elpheba, then take it back to Eubric, especially if things are looking bad there. Do we need it for anything?" Boomingham glances over his shoulder. "Regardless, it seems we're backtracking instead of moving forward. We need to figure out what the Hels was summoned and figure out where it ended up and if it has the Oracle with it or not. Are we ready to go back to Eubric? Ezeran, want to give me a hand with carrying Torald?"

Eric nodded in agreement. "Nothing more here. I can help you carry him if needed."