Sign in to follow this  
blackdeathgr

[Era II, Ch IA - OL] - Looking for accommodation

The "Unfolded Tablecloth Productions" :tongue: presents you their next big hit:

Hugo D'Offren embarks once again on a great adventure! This time though it is not an adventure involving vanquishing enemies of the Crown, rather than a mission of scientific (and prestigious) nature. We are to explore the jungles of Celestia and locate the fabled Superb Orchid of Celestia!

Hugo has just arrived at Jameston, accompanied by his trusted crew and marines. With him, there is also a young and ambitious dragoon officer, the protege of Hugo (sporting the Dragoon's shako used when on foot and the dreaded scarlet demi-cape of the Oleon Dragoons regiments). He is his sister's son after all. All together, they are to meet a Crown agent (the man in black attires - let's call him Mr B for now) that was stationed in Jameston some months ago in order to facilitate the expedition's first steps among other things. The meeting is to take place in front of "The Captain's Daughter" Inn, at a secondary quay of the settlement. At the following pics, you will watch this meeting taking place (and all those sailors "happily" carrying the expedition's luggage and stuff - mostly blank canvas and empty diaries ready to be filled with the wonders of this island's Jungles).

38896515095_a1677b7ef4_c.jpg

39085412554_432c73bd67_c.jpg

39763655352_04b60914e8_c.jpg

Sadly no time for interior (even a rudimentary one). The "bucket floating around was drifted here from a nearby wreck - worry not, as none was injured. Both buildings (The Captain's Daughter Inn and a nearby merchant house) are a gift from Oleon to the good people of Jameston. They can license them in their name as they see fit. Thanks for watching and good luck to all the contestants!

Really nice pair of buildings BD, my favourite has to be the tan one, that roof technique always looks great. I also really like those sailors, they remind my of updated versions of the classic sailors which I love (if only they were red).

Great entry BD, I especially like all the small details - like the clear plates for waves, sand green for the high water mark, grill for drainage, texture on the walls and dark brown planks mixed in with the reddish brown. A great addition to Jameston which the settlement will gladdly licence in her name with thanks. All the best to Hugo for his expedition - if they do need any assistance, the colonial governor will be more than happy to help.

A really cool scene, and definitely the best presentation (image quality wise) I have seen from you. Great work!

The minifigs are especially cool. I love it.

My only suggestion to improve would be to add something behind the windows. Even some black bricks would have helped to simulate depth of the MOC.

I am definitely looking forward to see your story continue.

10 hours ago, Lord Buckethead said:

Really nice pair of buildings BD, my favourite has to be the tan one, that roof technique always looks great. I also really like those sailors, they remind my of updated versions of the classic sailors which I love (if only they were red).

Thanks Lord Buckethead! The tan one is my favorite too. I also have to agree that this roof technique is the best looking (at least among the conventional techniques). Frenchman's torso does make a wonderful sailor after all :wink:. I am waiting for the red version of yours!

9 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I think both roofs compliment each other well ... I like the use of the green to show tide change.

Thanks! Alas, sand green depicting moss was an idea I have... ahem, borrowed from a past moc or two (not mine :look:

6 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Great entry BD, I especially like all the small details - like the clear plates for waves, sand green for the high water mark, grill for drainage, texture on the walls and dark brown planks mixed in with the reddish brown. A great addition to Jameston which the settlement will gladdly licence in her name with thanks. All the best to Hugo for his expedition - if they do need any assistance, the colonial governor will be more than happy to help.

Thanks Ayrlego! You can never have enough trans tiles and plates for that sea technique! As for the rest small details you mentioned, I think I have reached a spot (brick-wise) where I can encompass some more details compared to my previous builds. Oh, and be sure that Hugo will drop by to visit the colonial governor for a cup of coffee (or tea or whatever Corrish drink in their colonies these days :wink: )

2 hours ago, Elostirion said:

A really cool scene, and definitely the best presentation (image quality wise) I have seen from you. Great work!

The minifigs are especially cool. I love it.

My only suggestion to improve would be to add something behind the windows. Even some black bricks would have helped to simulate depth of the MOC.

I am definitely looking forward to see your story continue.

Thanks Elo! Regarding the photo quality, I've noticed that too. I can even see the dust! :hmpf_bad: The funny part is that I've used the same decrepit mobile phone I've been using for ages. I believe it had to do with the lighting as I've been waiting for the right weather conditions to photograph it at my balcony (too much rain and wind up to yesterday) so the clouds must have diffused the sun light and enhanced the photos. Definitely something to take into consideration on my next photos!

Your suggestion for the moc depth has been noted and I totally think that you are right. It feels a bit "empty" as it is now. I'll use some black bricks a bit behind the windows next time and see how it turns out.

5 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Your suggestion for the moc depth has been noted and I totally think that you are right. It feels a bit "empty" as it is now. I'll use some black bricks a bit behind the windows next time and see how it turns out.

Remember you dont have to use black ... Ive seen textured bricks used like drawn curtains and even dark yellow with trans black giving hint of candlelight

11 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

Remember you dont have to use black ... Ive seen textured bricks used like drawn curtains and even dark yellow with trans black giving hint of candlelight

Nice ideas! Definitely on my To-Do list! Thanks!

:blush: Oh crap! You totally beat me to the name of the inn... If I had viewed this earlier I would have named mine something different... Anyway nice build and great characters! :thumbup:

6 minutes ago, Mike S said:

:blush: Oh crap! You totally beat me to the name of the inn... If I had viewed this earlier I would have named mine something different... Anyway nice build and great characters! :thumbup:

Hahaha, I thought the same when I saw your entry. Still the sign is fairly universal (and your build is way better than mine) so... I yield! :grin: