Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #159: An Unexpected Return

Transfixed by the speech, Matthias finds himself giving a little bow of assent to the Golden Dragon's words, though his tongue is stuck to the roof of his mouth.

Arthur ponders the spirit's words, before speaking Diplomatically.  "Very well then.  But before we return you to your rest, I must ask: can you give us any sort of proof that would undeniably prove your counterpart a fraud?  Some knowledge, some secret that only you know, that a fraud would not, that would prove to be her undoing, that would prove she's not you?"

"...and on a personal level.  I was once a Dragoon, but my companion and I...we had a falling-out, a disagreement of morality, of what her role ought to be in correcting the mistakes of her ancestors.  She was as a daughter to me, and the pain of our separation is immense.  Do you have any advice towards mending that rift?"

Edited by Flipz

18 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

The Golden Dragon's demeanor never wavers as Atramor relates their tale.
41649173541_4e9526dde1_t.jpg
"I am a spirit, rogue, my time to impact this world is long past. My bones lie here and those of my dragon in Dastan. Considering how quickly the people of Eubric turned upon you, I can't imagine, you were entirely innocent, no? That they would so easily forget and so easily run to some impersonators, troubles me more than the falsifiers themselves. If the deeds you claim are true, than the error that overshadows them must be great indeed."

The ghost inspects the vial Atramor holds up.

"I am no alchemist, I could not tell you, even living, what the substance may be. As for stealing a likeness, there are many methods, magic, alchemy, powers from beyond our plane, their are even creatures and races who are known to change their shape or form. I cannot be your salvation, rogue, for if you do not realize what folly led you and the organization I founded to this end, you or your successors will simply wind their way down the same path in the future."

"We're...not perfect," repeats Atramor slowly, after a moment of reflection. "But....we've been doin' the best we can do."

"Ah you begin to see the heart of the issue, Dyric of Duplovia. Heroica was neither my nor my companions greatest achievement. No, it was the lives of those who sat under its roof. Those who came to us with neither family or friends and left with both. Those who lacked skill and left with confidence and competence. Those who only cared for themselves and left full of selflessness and compassion for those around them. We took farmhands and showed them the good they could do in this world and the pride in that. We took princes and showed them the humility that gains the respect of all men. Heroica was never a building that could be closed, it was a commitment to a community that would not stand back and idly watch the world destroy itself. It was a commitment to sacrificing oneself for the betterment of one's neighbor. It placed no absolute faith in either itself or any other institution, it put its faith in people."

Atramor fell quite for a good long while as he thought back to the day he'd first stepped into the Hall for himself. He hadn't that about that day in a good long while. And it took a second to recall the reason he had joined in the first place. His eyes flickered briefly to the weighty pouch of gold that sat in his coat. More than he ever expected to earn; a small fortune, and there was always more. But he already knew the feeling that would strike him as he looked on the great wealth he'd accumulated; and that was feeling was "not all that damn much".

"...Yeah. You got us there."

"The only advice I can give you is to find out the goal of these impostors, find out what they are after. If not that, their source, all things have a beginning. My companions and I did and thus so must these impersonators."

"I...think they think they're savin' Eubric by abolishin' Heroica and the Houses. If I had to take 'em real real serious-like, then I would say that they're tryin' to send a message about the kinds of things we've had to do. Like they think we've gotten corrupted, or that we're interferin' in business that ain't our own. Makin' decisions we have no right to make. I've heard that kind of thing before, I bet we all have, but...it's like....they are certain that we're the bad guys here, because we won't roll over and let them end Heroica." Atramor wracked his brain. "They want a Eubric free of the Houses and free of Heroica...but they don't want the Wolfgang 'round when it's done, either. They want to dismantle all of Eubric's establishments, the only people with the capacity to protect the city."

"As far as a source...I guess we have an idea of where to start." Atramor toyed with the vial of dust in hand. "We need to find an alchemist, so I guess we're going to have to visit the Guild of Invision, mates. Unless any of ya'll have another suggestion."

16 hours ago, Flipz said:

Arthur ponders the spirit's words, before speaking Diplomatically.  "Very well then.  But before we return you to your rest, I must ask: can you give us any sort of proof that would undeniably prove your counterpart a fraud?  Some knowledge, some secret that only you know, that a fraud would not, that would prove to be her undoing, that would prove she's not you?"

"Aye, that would be useful. I'd love to see the look on your mimic's face with somethin' like that in hand..." Atramor's eyes lit up a bit. "Did you have Veteran's Badges back in the day? That would definitely do the trick."

Edited by CMP

3 hours ago, CMP said:

They want to dismantle all of Eubric's establishments, the only people with the capacity to protect the city."

"As far as a source...I guess we have an idea of where to start." Atramor toyed with the vial of dust in hand. "We need to find an alchemist, so I guess we're going to have to visit the Guild of Invision, mates. Unless any of ya'll have another suggestion."

The Guild is a good idea, but I'd like to check out Fort 'Freedom' myself, see if we can bust out Arthur's Skirmishers. 

Rone turns to the Veteran. 

Could Lucifuge be behind this? Are there any other threats from your time that would want to see Heroica knocked down?

20 hours ago, Flipz said:

"None I believe that would sway the people to your side, if they already follow after these impersonators they will rationalize away nearly any evidence you present to them. You may convince one or two, a person is smart, people are like sheep. Additionally, there is no knowing what they may or may not know, what information they have at their disposal, especially if they control the Hall and its library. I truly am sorry I cannot give you more."

21 hours ago, Flipz said:

"...and on a personal level.  I was once a Dragoon, but my companion and I...we had a falling-out, a disagreement of morality, of what her role ought to be in correcting the mistakes of her ancestors.  She was as a daughter to me, and the pain of our separation is immense.  Do you have any advice towards mending that rift?"

For the first time the Golden Dragon softens.
"Those whom we love the most are often those who we tell the least. A dragon lifespan is so much longer than a humans that it can be difficult for us to grasp their perspective, but if there is one thing I know cultivates companionship with them, it is humility. Not one born out of fear, or even respect, but of charity."

4 hours ago, CMP said:

"We're...not perfect," repeats Atramor slowly, after a moment of reflection. "But....we've been doin' the best we can do."

Atramor fell quite for a good long while as he thought back to the day he'd first stepped into the Hall for himself. He hadn't that about that day in a good long while. And it took a second to recall the reason he had joined in the first place. His eyes flickered briefly to the weighty pouch of gold that sat in his coat. More than he ever expected to earn; a small fortune, and there was always more. But he already knew the feeling that would strike him as he looked on the great wealth he'd accumulated; and that was feeling was "not all that damn much".

"...Yeah. You got us there."

"I...think they think they're savin' Eubric by abolishin' Heroica and the Houses. If I had to take 'em real real serious-like, then I would say that they're tryin' to send a message about the kinds of things we've had to do. Like they think we've gotten corrupted, or that we're interferin' in business that ain't our own. Makin' decisions we have no right to make. I've heard that kind of thing before, I bet we all have, but...it's like....they are certain that we're the bad guys here, because we won't roll over and let them end Heroica." Atramor wracked his brain. "They want a Eubric free of the Houses and free of Heroica...but they don't want the Wolfgang 'round when it's done, either. They want to dismantle all of Eubric's establishments, the only people with the capacity to protect the city."

"Protect it from what, rogue Atramor? How much of the city's troubles are caused by these establishments? I'm not condoning their actions, but from your companions descriptions, I can't say I wouldn't be hard pressed to give everything a stern assessment were I alive today. But why, were they to stage a coup, with their power what could stand in their way? What does it benefit them to play the heroes when they so easily subdued and displaced the existing ones? I do not know the answer, but hopefully this provides a different perspective."

4 hours ago, CMP said:

"Aye, that would be useful. I'd love to see the look on your mimic's face with somethin' like that in hand..." Atramor's eyes lit up a bit. "Did you have Veteran's Badges back in the day? That would definitely do the trick."

"We did have badges, but they were not exclusive to ourselves."

58 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

Rone turns to the Veteran. 

Could Lucifuge be behind this? Are there any other threats from your time that would want to see Heroica knocked down?

"I cannot rule it out, the dark angel has not been heard of for an age. There are many throughout Heroica's years that have brought danger, angels, demons, powers from other planes, the list goes on an on. Even so, Heroica always stood against them and weathered the storms they would send. Though this time may look dark, heroes, I do not doubt you will weather it still"

1 hour ago, The Legonater said:

The Guild is a good idea, but I'd like to check out Fort 'Freedom' myself, see if we can bust out Arthur's Skirmishers. 

39209738684_688c2e3d3a_t.jpg
"I thought they were being detained at the Embassy?"

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Uh- well done. You have been listening. That was a test. You passed. Congratulations. 

Fort Freedom should be investigated, but we ought to do it in bigger numbers so, yes, the Embassy before that. 

6 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

For the first time the Golden Dragon softens.
"Those whom we love the most are often those who we tell the least. A dragon lifespan is so much longer than a humans that it can be difficult for us to grasp their perspective, but if there is one thing I know cultivates companionship with them, it is humility. Not one born out of fear, or even respect, but of charity."

Arthur nods thoughtfully.  "Thank you," he says simply.

11 hours ago, CMP said:

8 hours ago, The Legonater said:

6 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

2 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Uh- well done. You have been listening. That was a test. You passed. Congratulations. 

Fort Freedom should be investigated, but we ought to do it in bigger numbers so, yes, the Embassy before that. 

The Skirmisher snorts involuntarily at Dyric's misstep, but frowns as the party discusses their options.  "If you're going to see the Guild, you should probably get Chesterine and me back to Ziegfried Manor first.  Much as I'd like to find a way to mend fences in this city, right now I doubt they'd appreciate two Ziegfrieds showing up on their doorstep, not to mention...well.  They've extorted not just my family, but every Mage in Uland for their overpriced Tonics for generations.  Marco and his genie made some headway in that a while back, but the Guild still got his name somehow--probably from the Heroes involved--and I'm sure they've figured out his connection to Mabel by now.  No doubt at this point they'd want both Chesterine's head and mine on a platter before they'd even think of helping, at least if they knew we were with you."  He pauses.  "Not to mention...I'd really like to avoid my family ending up like Nuitan and Umbra, if we can possibly avoid it.  If they're already gone, so be it, and the false Founders responsible will be made to pay for it, but I'd like to hold out at least some hope of getting to them first."

Hoke steps forward to address the Golden Dragon.

"Madame, thank you for the help you could offer.  I would like to let you know that because of Heroica today, as flawed as it may be, the Dragons of Dastan are renewing their bond with the world at large.  My draconic friends, one of them outside, and another I had set free from a marketplace bazaar, spent time with the dragons to teach and convince them to once again ally themselves with world and all the races contained within.  We were able to do this because the Dragonlord of House Shadeaux taught us how to become one with this majestic creatures.  The impostor who is posing as you killed the Dragonlord.  He was the one that taught us.  He was the one that made it possible for Torc, my dragon, and I to travel to Dastan to talk to the dragons.  If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have received the egg...the eggs,"Hoke shocks to his senses quickly, remembering,"Thank you again madame."

Hoke turns to the others.

"I need to collect the rest of the eggs from the clutch.  Not all of them were claimed if I remember correctly.  We can't afford for those to fall into the wrong hands."

Hoke leaves to claim the rest of the eggs.

Edited by UsernameMDM

3 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

Hoke leaves to claim the rest of the eggs.

QM Note: Just to confirm, Hoke is heading to Fort Freedom correct?

12 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

QM Note: Just to confirm, Hoke is heading to Fort Freedom correct?

Did we already look through the cavern that's under the house for the eggs?

44 minutes ago, UsernameMDM said:

Did we already look through the cavern that's under the house for the eggs?

QM Note: My apologies, I see now that we didn't specify this back during your first visit.

Hoke recalls seeing the nest empty in the cavern from earlier and remembers Umbra mentioning her Father, had been taken earlier to Fort Freedom after the death of the Dragon Lord.

"So an alchemist, the skirmishers, and Fort Freedom.  Sounds like we have our work cutout for us.  Shall we be off?  Where to first?"

Hoke unslings his pack and adjusts his gear as the team discusses their next move.

Hoke removes Obsan's Masterpiece and the Coat Hanger and puts on the Prayer Beads and Warrior Treads.  He also uses the Bright Polish on his Buckler.

Matthias nods to Chesterine, indicating that the party is done conversing with the Golden Dragon. "I think we need to take the Ziegfrieds home, Master Hoke."

4 minutes ago, StickFig said:

Matthias nods to Chesterine, indicating that the party is done conversing with the Golden Dragon. "I think we need to take the Ziegfrieds home, Master Hoke."

Hoke nods to his diminutive friend.

"Indeed."

Hoke begins to restuff his pack, then says,"While I have my things out, it may be a good time to optimize our gear.  Anyone here is welcome to anything I have."

He sticks his hand in his side pouch and pulls out a certain vial of Crimson Haze.

"Especially this."

On 25/04/2018 at 5:52 AM, Flipz said:

Arthur nods thoughtfully.  "Thank you," he says simply.

The Skirmisher snorts involuntarily at Dyric's misstep, but frowns as the party discusses their options.  "If you're going to see the Guild, you should probably get Chesterine and me back to Ziegfried Manor first. 

And if we go to the Embassy, you don't want to be there for that? 

I think Fort Freedom will have to wait, Hoke, until after we stock up our forces. Maybe even unite with the other parties. The way I see it, right now we can hit the embassy or the guild. Are there any preferences?

...We have plenty of people; if need be, we could split up

On 4/25/2018 at 12:33 AM, Waterbrick Down said:

"Protect it from what, rogue Atramor? How much of the city's troubles are caused by these establishments? I'm not condoning their actions, but from your companions descriptions, I can't say I wouldn't be hard pressed to give everything a stern assessment were I alive today. But why, were they to stage a coup, with their power what could stand in their way? What does it benefit them to play the heroes when they so easily subdued and displaced the existing ones? I do not know the answer, but hopefully this provides a different perspective."

"I think the Bonapartes are stuck-up glory-seekers. Doesn't mean they don't protect the Crystalline Sea from pirates. I helped the Ji Pei flip their home country on its head, 'cause they hated seein' their own kind lordin' above the others. There's always gonna be people in power. That's somethin' I've learned firsthand. All ya' can ever really do is get the right people in charge and keep 'em there. Ain't perfect. But it's what we can do."

"I have no idea what their motivation is, but they're in a position to accomplish anythin' they want, and what I know for damn sure is that we can't let 'em stay there."

Atramor reflected on the Dragon's advice quietly, before actually sweeping off his hat and bowing slightly.

"We all 'ppreciate you speakin' with us, Lady Dragon. You're as ruthlessly honest as they say. And damn if we don't need a hell of a lot more of that 'round Eubric."

And with that, he returned to the party and listened to their discussions.

14 hours ago, UsernameMDM said:

He sticks his hand in his side pouch and pulls out a certain vial of Crimson Haze.

"Especially this."

"I wouldn't mind gettin' my claws in some of that."

1 hour ago, The Legonater said:

I think Fort Freedom will have to wait, Hoke, until after we stock up our forces. Maybe even unite with the other parties. The way I see it, right now we can hit the embassy or the guild. Are there any preferences?

...We have plenty of people; if need be, we could split up

"Aye. Fort Freedom is a suicide mission for now...as much as I'd be up for onna those, not everyone's gonna be so inclined."

14 hours ago, StickFig said:

"Agreed. And as much as more soldiers would be useful, it's gonna take more'n bodies to cut off the head of the snake. You saw that bastard; he'd wipe out a legion of soldiers in an instant. And we're in the business of savin' people." He shook the vial of dust. "We don't need an army; we need information, and a weapon. For that, I think we need to go to the Guild of Invision, and with that in mind, ayewe should definitely drop off Chesterine."

On 4/25/2018 at 7:52 AM, Flipz said:

The Skirmisher snorts involuntarily at Dyric's misstep, but frowns as the party discusses their options.  "If you're going to see the Guild, you should probably get Chesterine and me back to Ziegfried Manor first.  Much as I'd like to find a way to mend fences in this city, right now I doubt they'd appreciate two Ziegfrieds showing up on their doorstep, not to mention...well.  They've extorted not just my family, but every Mage in Uland for their overpriced Tonics for generations.  Marco and his genie made some headway in that a while back, but the Guild still got his name somehow--probably from the Heroes involved--and I'm sure they've figured out his connection to Mabel by now.  No doubt at this point they'd want both Chesterine's head and mine on a platter before they'd even think of helping, at least if they knew we were with you."  He pauses.  "Not to mention...I'd really like to avoid my family ending up like Nuitan and Umbra, if we can possibly avoid it.  If they're already gone, so be it, and the false Founders responsible will be made to pay for it, but I'd like to hold out at least some hope of getting to them first."

"Arthur, I can't help but feel like the old grudges are dead. The Guild's in disarray, like every damn House. Eubric's fallin' apart at the seams and I doubt the Guild's gonna give a damn if we have a Ziegfried with us. Plus, let's be honest here, you don't exactly got a family resemblance." Atramor nodded at Chesterine's hat with a bit of a grin. "If you don't wanna fight by our side, that's fine, but...hell, mate, do ya' really think this is just gonna blow over if ya'll sit at home? It's your call, mate, but-" the rogue crossed his arms and glanced briefly at Dyric. "-given what we're settin' out to do, keep in mind, there's a damn good chance we're not all makin' it out in one piece."

Atramor turned to head for the door to return to the Ziegfried Manor, before turning back once more to look between the Golden Dragon and Arthur.

".....'Sides. Lady Dragon's got a point. Heroica's a family too, mate. Ya' can leave it. Ya' can even forget about it. But it ain't leavin' you. If you're gonna stand with us, it's now or never. And never's gettin' closer every minute, mate."

Edited by CMP

2 hours ago, CMP said:

"Agreed. And as much as more soldiers would be useful, it's gonna take more'n bodies to cut off the head of the snake. You saw that bastard; he'd wipe out a legion of soldiers in an instant. And we're in the business of savin' people." He shook the vial of dust. "We don't need an army; we need information, and a weapon. For that, I think we need to go to the Guild of Invision, and with that in mind, ayewe should definitely drop off Chesterine."

Fair. You know, if we can't find anything on that vial, I'll take it off your hands. Killing a Founder, however fake, is quite the accomplishment - it would go nicely next to Vonnetate's skull. 

Suddenly, Dyric straightens, as he remembers the message he had been given. 

2 hours ago, CMP said:

"Arthur, I can't help but feel like the old grudges are dead. The Guild's in disarray, like every damn House. Eubric's fallin' apart at the seams and I doubt the Guild's gonna give a damn if we have a Ziegfried with us. Plus, let's be honest here, you don't exactly got a family resemblance." Atramor nodded at Chesterine's hat with a bit of a grin. "If you don't wanna fight by our side, that's fine, but...hell, mate, do ya' really think this is just gonna blow over if ya'll sit at home? It's your call, mate, but-" the rogue crossed his arms and glanced briefly at Dyric. "-given what we're settin' out to do, keep in mind, there's a damn good chance we're not all makin' it out in one piece."

Atramor turned to head for the door to return to the Ziegfried Manor, before turning back once more to look between the Golden Dragon and Arthur.

".....'Sides. Lady Dragon's got a point. Heroica's a family too, mate. Ya' can leave it. Ya' can even forget about it. But it ain't leavin' you. If you're gonna stand with us, it's now or never. And never's gettin' closer every minute, mate."

Rone returns the glance, and faces Arthur. 

Do what you need to, brother. But this is the end of the line. We're putting all cards on the table here. If you want to protect your family, you can do it by fighting with us.

8 hours ago, CMP said:

"I wouldn't mind gettin' my claws in some of that."

Hoke carefully hands the vial to the rogue.

“As much as I hate to admit it, the guild is probably our best bet right now. Let’s drop off the mages and then head over there,”

The party heads topside and meet up with Torc outside the Dragon House.
16858651466_09a5cf51c9_o.jpg
<Sun will rise soon, we must be quick if you still wish to fly about unseen.>

Knowing they only have a few hours before sunrise the Party quickly flies back to the Ziegfrieds. Mabel meets them at the door.
27213149958_8cb2b61ffc_t.jpg
"There you are, I was getting worried. A patrol of the Town Watch stopped by here a little while ago asking if we had had any midnight visitors. I was able to assuage their fears, but you all must be very careful. All of my families hopes are with you heroes. You have aided us so many times in the past, I'm so sorry for the way this city has failed to show its gratitude. Chesterine, Arthur, are you alright?"

26214449057_f7b14609f4_t.jpg
"All thanks to Matthias. I was unconcious and his druidic powers must have raised me. I almost fainted again from the heroicness of the act."

Meanwhile Bellanotte pulls aside Hoke speaking to him in a grave tone,
"My father, brother, and sister, are being held by the Watch. Is this really the time to go chasing after some addled alchemist?"

15 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Meanwhile Bellanotte pulls aside Hoke speaking to him in a grave tone,
"My father, brother, and sister, are being held by the Watch. Is this really the time to go chasing after some addled alchemist?"

"We, just ourselves here, cannot take the Watch alone.  I want to see the Shadeaux freed, please believe me, but we need answers to this puzzle to acquire more allies.  We will storm Fort Freedom, when the time comes.  Unfortunately, that time is not right now."

17 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"All thanks to Matthias. I was unconcious and his druidic powers must have raised me. I almost fainted again from the heroicness of the act."

The gnome can only blush and point at Rone in protest. "It wasn't me."

Edited by StickFig

1 minute ago, StickFig said:

The gnome can only blush and point at Rone in protest. "It wasn't me."

Whoa, whoa. I don't know what you're talking about. I, uh, I was on the other side of the cave, firing bolts into the fake Doomsayer. You picked her up. You go be a hero, hero boy. 

Rone notices Hoke pulled aside in conversation, and turns to Atramor and Arthur. 

Hey, Atramor. About that message, this might be as good a time as any. 

6 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

Whoa, whoa. I don't know what you're talking about. I, uh, I was on the other side of the cave, firing bolts into the fake Doomsayer. You picked her up. You go be a hero, hero boy.

Narrow druidic eyes cast a withering glare at Rone - or at least Matthias hopes it's a killer glare. The blush creeps back up his face until he's crimson through and through before he faces back to the Ziegfried ladies.

17 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

Rone notices Hoke pulled aside in conversation, and turns to Atramor and Arthur. 

Hey, Atramor. About that message, this might be as good a time as any. 

Atramor chuckled at Dyric's teasing of Matthias and raised an eyebrow.

"Well then, don't keep us in suspense, mate."