macnavi

Volkswagen van in Minifig scale

Hi all,

This is my first model submission on this forum. This forum has been a great source of information and now I would like to contribute.

For a long time I wanted to make a VW van in minifig scale. I’ve seen some interesting designs, and have taken the look of the front and back of this classic from the designs by others. But from what was around, I never liked the middle part and lack of good interior (if any). My design has a lot of play value, has a sturdy build still looks very recognisable.

Features:

- Camper roof can be raised and fixed

- Different roof configurations possible

- Side door can be opened and pinned.

- Furnished interior with cabinet, sink, folding table and seat/bed.

- Seat can be transformed to bed.

- Space under front seat for suitcase. 

- 275 Lego bricks

You can get the LDD file, building instructions and part list here (scroll to bottom of page): http://tramfabriek.nl/lego.html

img_1812-1880.jpg

line-up-colour-1880.jpg

Edited by macnavi

Nice minifigure van! I love the curtains and interior! I also like the color variations, especially the sand green one.

Thanks for your instructions. I plan to mod the next year creator surfer van into a 6 wide model. Now I'm looking even more forward to it!

Thank you also from me for the instructions, I might knock one up in white and blue for my brother-in-law who has a restored Kombi camper his pride and joy.

Brick On 'macnavi' ! 

Thanks, all! I hadn't seen the curtains as creative, but it was the most logical solution. A camper van is not complete without curtains!

Nice build looks worlds better than the bus from the City Garage back in 2012. Hate to know how much studs (lego currency) that van would cost knowing how expensive the VW kombi is in real life. 

11 hours ago, Legocitycustoms said:

Nice, I love it !

I see a Dutch flag, are you from Holland ?

i guess he is. his website is all dutch too [insert dutch flag]

I also like the VW bus well done

Ha, yes I am. Well spotted. The tram on the background (better picture on my website) is from The Hague. I'm living in the UK though. As you can see, the van is driving on the left side of the road. :wink:

@6A13TT99 If you mean the van from 4207, then, yes, it definitely is much better. That's a very ugly model.

It always surprised me that Lego didn't make a camper van like this. It's not a revolutionary design. I tried to design it as if Lego would have made it, with the sturdy build and play value etc, while still looking good (again: the overall look is not my design. I just improved the whole thing). I think this would be a very good seller if they had made it.

The parts showed up today I was missing to make this. I just wanted to say thanks again! It is a cool vehicle for my town and it was a fun build. 

Cheers

Yes. was going to do orange but I have no red vehicles so changed my mind at the last minute. I used grey wheels.  It must have taken a long time to design. It is pretty much perfect for the scale. 

No red vehicles? Curiously enough, most of the cars in our town are red.

Some of the orange pieces are not available anymore, you would have to go Bricklink, while for the red parts, they can be ordered from Lego directly.

I know it is hard to believe. I have a couple with new dark red built from the pizza van set. I did order the parts I was missing from your van from Lego from BAP. I think with the grey wheels it looks more reallistic than the white ones. I had just modded the Speed Champions McLaren so didn't want to do a second orange vehicle right away.