Hello there!

Is there any concensus about what to use when tracking ones LEGO collection on the web: Is it rebrickable.com or brickset.com? Or maybe another website?

I have a medium mixed collection, lots of sets, some with missing parts which I would need to take note of, as well as lots of single bricks / plates / whatever.

I'd love to hear your input on what you think would be the best tool for the job.

Thanks & Regards, Chris

For complete sets, brickset is probably best as you can export to rebrickable if you want to.

I haven't really found anything that works well for parts though.

I use Rebrickable for parts.  The "Build" feature is really nice to see if you have the parts available to build a set or MOC.

One drawback of any attempt to log parts ... once you start you really have to keep on top of it!

Yeah... having received another package with bricks today, I'm fully aware of that dilemma :laugh:

I guess I'll try both, Brickset and Rebrickable, and stick to the one that suits best. Thanks!

You can import a list of sets from one to t'other, from the Rebrickable 'My sets lists' page. Brickset can't manage individual parts (although it will count minifigs), so I mainly use Rebrickable and sync the list over to Brickset when I get any new sets.

5 hours ago, Capparezza said:

Yeah... having received another package with bricks today, I'm fully aware of that dilemma :laugh:

If you've ordered those parts off BrickLink, you can import an order into Rebrickable to add those parts to your list. You can even add older orders, provided BL has still got them recorded.

Edited by ColletArrow

yeah between that and brickset inporting, then one only needs to account for "thrift finds"

I litterally went as far before i started my current reorganize of my sorting system, as grabbing every manual, picking every set list for each set (setting all those parts aside in a "from sets" bin, then what was left came from BL / thrift buying.

This basically sucked up like two full weekends off, but at least now I just need to worry about keeping on top of logging loose bricks as sets import from BSet and BL's covered.

It's crazy, but i like having it for when i do my stud.io sketch's of an idea, it let's me know what i have to use even when i'm not home (I export the list after updating so it's on my laptop just in case)

You should also consider having a backup plan in case the online service used goes out of business or start charging $$$ like Photobucket.

@ColletArrow I'm afraid this will not be an option, as I ordered parts to make my original sets whole again.

@dr_spock Good that one can export from Rebrickable. Thanks for that, I will try this out to be on the safe side.

@Foxw Yeah, that's one thing I'm very afraid to start.... Going to check out all the functions first, before I take the plunge ... :sweet:

oh yeah, it can be a major time suck.  but once you are done you only have to manually track loose bricks as BS & BL can be imported.  plus you can export the list to have a saved backup (or reference when unable to go online)