ruperty

Gear mesh issue with LDD

I'm just starting out with Lego Digital Designer and have run into a problem putting two gears together.

In this LDD file (https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8i55l6dzzdupwl/GearTest.lxf?dl=0) I want to put the bevel gear on the grey beam so that it meshes with the other bevel gear, so it looks something like the image below.. But it won't let me do it, perhaps because one gear needs to be rotated. Any idea how this can be achieved?

59936b5e69199_2017-08-1522_23_34.jpg.0cd98fb545a041339d8afaadafd610e4.jpg

55 minutes ago, ruperty said:

I'm just starting out with Lego Digital Designer and have run into a problem putting two gears together.

In this LDD file (https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8i55l6dzzdupwl/GearTest.lxf?dl=0) I want to put the bevel gear on the grey beam so that it meshes with the other bevel gear, so it looks something like the image below.. But it won't let me do it, perhaps because one gear needs to be rotated. Any idea how this can be achieved?

Rotate one of the gears by 360/teeth/2 degres= 360/12/2=15°

5 minutes ago, TechnicSummse said:

Rotate one of the gears by 360/teeth/2 degres= 360/12/2=15°

:thumbup: In fact 15° + a manifold of 30° (360/teeth) will do. So, 45° will work too. Btw, to rotate the gear, you need to rotate the axle with the gear attached while it is inserted in at least one pinhole. Make that preferrably not more than one pinhole, otherwise LDD is likely to crash while rotating.

Edited by Didumos69
I wasn't completely correct.

53 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Btw, to rotate the gear, you need to rotate the axle with the gear attached while it is inserted in at least one pinhole. Make that preferrably not more than one pinhole, otherwise LDD is likely to crash while rotating.

You can just put it somewhere outside the main assembly, rotate and put it back. 

2 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

How to get a ldd photo?

After rotating the model to the view you want, just go Toolbox>Take Screenshot, or even easier, Ctrl+K :wink:

Also, don't forget to zoom in too, as the model will be exactly the same size as you see in in the workspace. (except it will have a white background)

10 minutes ago, mocbuild101 said:

After rotating the model to the view you want, just go Toolbox>Take Screenshot, or even easier, Ctrl+K :wink:

Also, don't forget to zoom in too, as the model will be exactly the same size as you see in in the workspace. (except it will have a white background)

Thanks! I am almost getting the hang of ldd.

5 hours ago, Void_S said:

You can just put it somewhere outside the main assembly, rotate and put it back. 

I do that all the time, good to add that info :thumbup:.

7 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Btw, to rotate the gear, you need to rotate the axle with the gear attached while it is inserted in at least one pinhole. 

Thanks that was the info I was missing. I'd tried the hinge tool, but nothing was happening.