Sign in to follow this  
Starwars4J

Imperial Colossus-class Heavy Assault and Riot Droid (HARD)

The Imperial Heavy Assault and Riot Droid was developed as a second generation Assault Droid to combat increasing rebel threats in urban environments. The threat has moved from small bands of isolated rebels with small, hand-held weapons to larger, more organized threats, so a more efficient combat droid was needed.

hard0002.jpg

hard0003.jpg

hard0005.jpg

hard0004.jpg

The HARD is protected by an energy shield that can withstand blasts from most hand-held weapons. It's projected from three panels, one on the chest and two on the legs.

hard0007.jpg

hard0006.jpg

The fully articulated HARD allows it to protect itself in case it's energy shield is penetrated.

hard0008.jpg

With a pair of thick physical shields on each forearm

hard0009.jpg

While rebels might initially believe this to be to their advantage, attacking while the HARD is protecting itself and vulnerable, such is not the case.

hard0010.jpg

The armor can open up to reveal a rapid-firing minilaser on each forearm. This cannot fire at the same time as a normally mounted arm weapon.

hard0011.jpg

hard0012.jpg

The entire Imperial Assault Droid family.

hard0013.jpg

hard0014.jpg

The shield can be used for physical impact as well.

hard0015.jpg

hard0016.jpg

And finally, the most potent weapon on the HARD, the grenade launcher

hard0017.jpg

hard0018.jpg

It has a stock of 6 paralysis-gas grenades for handling riots when the survivors are wanted, and a nearly endless supply of instant-made energy grenades (basically energy stored in a magnetic field and surrounded by a thin sheet which can be produced in the barrel) for when they are not. Also perfect for urban assault missions.

Gallery when moderated

Wow.

I've always tried to build something like this, I just never could get it. *sad*

But you got it down very well! I love the shields on this baby, they make it looks very beefed up and threatening.

Good job! I love how the shield moves and the lasers come out.

*y* *sweet* *y*

What an ingenious shield/gun idea, what an overall cool weaponry,

and what a wonderful head design. The gray and trans blue color

scheme, although simple, works very smart too. I

Wow.

I've always tried to build something like this, I just never could get it. *sad*

But you got it down very well! I love the shields on this baby, they make it looks very beefed up and threatening.

Good job! I love how the shield moves and the lasers come out.

*y* *sweet* *y*

Thats so Cool

I love the design. These are very well made. 8-

This is really good! *wub* I especially love the shield guns. It's one of those logical concepts that I think aren't used enough. The head design I like as well. Are these going in your SHIP?

Very very nice! I really like the articulation and the feet! For some reason all those droids remind me of Battlestar Galatica.

I second that, MicVash.

Excellent designs, very well executed. I may have missed it, but is there a background story to your whole Imperial droid army? What Empire do they protect?

I may have missed it, but is there a background story to your whole Imperial droid army? What Empire do they protect?

If you go here you can read a rough outline of SW4Js universe. *sweet*

This is really good! *wub* I especially love the shield guns. It's one of those logical concepts that I think aren't used enough. The head design I like as well. Are these going in your SHIP?

Thanks :-$ I had actually started with the shield design which has been laying around for months in my pile of "ideas that could be turned into MOCs" :-D I only started building the rest of the droid recently, doing the torso first, followed by the head, the legs, and t hen refining the torso, and finishing up the arms. I'm actually pretty pleased with the way the torso came out, if you look at the back, it's actually a bunch of connections that are offset by small amounts and, by the grace of god, fit together :-D

Very very nice! I really like the articulation and the feet! For some reason all those droids remind me of Battlestar Galatica.

Yay! Someone noticed the feet *wub* It's one of my favorite aspects of the droid. It has toes, and if you look closely even an arch :-$ As for Battlestar Galactica I've never seen the show, but I take that as a compliment :-P

I second that, MicVash.

Excellent designs, very well executed. I may have missed it, but is there a background story to your whole Imperial droid army? What Empire do they protect?

Thanks very much! And yup, Sinner got that covered nicely *sweet*

Appreciate the comments, everyone

That's going to be a HARD challenge for the rebels. X-D

You did it again!! An as ingenious design as in your ILAD. ;-)

thank you starwars4j you have given me the final inspiration to finish the mkIII superbot i have been working on, it still needs to be completed (colours are wrong). your bot is beautiful, but lets see how well it would do against mine...

steel...

Wow. Articulant. X-D Very cool, I love the hidden weapon, very cool bot indeed! *y*

~Peace

After some comments from classic-space, I decided to rework it to get the proportions better. Overall I love this so much more than the original, but as always I'm looking to improve. Comments and criticism welcome *sweet*

hard0001.jpg

hard0002.jpg

hard0003.jpg

Much better. The last version had too little torso, and it was especially obvious from the rear. (I suppose I should have said that last time eh... :-$ )

Hmm... I think legs are a little on the long side now. The three joints gives it an overly flexible look, and also makes it easier to cripple him, since his shields can't reach all the way to down.

Also, I you might try some form of shoulder armor. His shoulder looks like a weak point.

However, I think that this is a great improvement over V.1. The shields are pure art. *y*

Will

Hmm... I think legs are a little on the long side now. The three joints gives it an overly flexible look, and also makes it easier to cripple him, since his shields can't reach all the way to down.

Also, I you might try some form of shoulder armor. His shoulder looks like a weak point.

However, I think that this is a great improvement over V.1. The shields are pure art. *y*

Will

Well that's the thing...the legs didn't change at all from V1, so I'm unsure how they're too long now :-D As for the shield not covering them...it actually can. You see the shield is held on to the arm a-symmetrically, and can freely rotate about the 1x1 round plate it's held on by. When rotated 180 degrees it can cover the legs. As for the shoulders I've tried like a madman to find just that solution. I know there has to be one out there, hence why I said I'll probably keep rebuilding it ;-) Any ideas? Add any more, and the 'neck' starts to look wrong. so I'm stumped here...

Well that's the thing...the legs didn't change at all from V1, so I'm unsure how they're too long now :-D As for the shield not covering them...it actually can. You see the shield is held on to the arm a-symmetrically, and can freely rotate about the 1x1 round plate it's held on by. When rotated 180 degrees it can cover the legs. As for the shoulders I've tried like a madman to find just that solution. I know there has to be one out there, hence why I said I'll probably keep rebuilding it ;-) Any ideas? Add any more, and the 'neck' starts to look wrong. so I'm stumped here...

Ah... :-$

Well, here's an idea to cover my error. Why not modify your first design with a wheel? This mech looks to me like a heavy, fairly slow mech, I think a lighter, faster design would compliment it's strength well.

Will

Ah... :-$

Well, here's an idea to cover my error. Why not modify your first design with a wheel? This mech looks to me like a heavy, fairly slow mech, I think a lighter, faster design would compliment it's strength well.

Will

I'm confused what you mean by adding a wheel? Unless that was just an expression saying to totally reinvent it :-D

As for being slow and heavy, that's a part of it. It's heavily armored, so it really has no need to be very fast. You can't really have a huge amount of strength and speed as well, trying to overpower something makes it so unappealing to me :-P

I'm sorry, I'm just confused about what you're suggesting?

I, personally, like the look of your first version better. Especially the way the shoulders and

arms

I'm confused what you mean by adding a wheel? Unless that was just an expression saying to totally reinvent it :-D

As for being slow and heavy, that's a part of it. It's heavily armored, so it really has no need to be very fast. You can't really have a huge amount of strength and speed as well, trying to overpower something makes it so unappealing to me :-P

I'm sorry, I'm just confused about what you're suggesting?

Confusion all around. X-D

I meant to MOD your first, smaller version and put a wheel on the legs as a suspect persuit mech. :-P Hope that made sense.

Will