Bernie56

Retired LEGO Train items

Just found out that the 8866 Train Motor is now a retired product by LEGO. Does this mean that LEGO is coming up with something new to power engines in their Train Sets (like 60051, 60052, 60098, Yellow Cargo, Maersk, etc.)?

My bad - confused 88002 with this product. Sorry.

Perhaps, a thread with retired parts/sets is not a bad idea. If mods do not think so, please delete.

Edited by Bernie56
added train set numbers; clarification on item retired

88002 is the current PF train motor. 8866 hasn't been used for a long time, and it's not even in the German LEGO store.

Just now, Capparezza said:

88002 is the current PF train motor. 8866 hasn't been used for a long time, and it's not even in the German LEGO store.

Yes, Capparezza,I just figured that out after I posted. My history with LEGO trains goes back to the Yellow Cargo train and beyond (all PF with 88002). So, where was 8866 used in?

Lego City Train Station 60050 has been retired though. 

Be interesting to see how long until there's a new station as it's the last of the Lego train sets not to have a train in it!

with regards to the 88002 vs 8866 Q I posed earlier, this thread (that I just found) has a lot of neat info

shop.legodotcom says 60050 is out of stock. No indication of being retired.

7 minutes ago, NotToScale said:

Lego City Train Station 60050 has been retired though. 

Be interesting to see how long until there's a new station as it's the last of the Lego train sets not to have a train in it!

I like the 7937 Train station from circa 2011. That is retired, by now, for sure.

28 minutes ago, McWaffel said:

So what's the difference between them? I don't understand.

Hi, 

the RC motor is very weak and does not perform very good as a train motor. The cable is not fixed attached to the motor, the cable is the old 9 Volt cable. It requires a special train plate to provide enough space for the cable connector between the plate and the motor.

The Power Functions motor is much stronger, it comes with a fixed cable which has a Power Functions connector/plug. Also the holes were to insert the axle are orange.

Checkout this page for detailed technical information about LEGO motors:

http://www.philohome.com/motors/motorcomp.htm

Holger

34 minutes ago, McWaffel said:

So what's the difference between them? I don't understand.

I remember 8866 and 88002 were both on LEGO S@H website.  8866 was cheaper so I ordered it.  Turned out you need to have a Power Functions extension to connect power ot the motor.  88002 had the power cable built in.

As far as I am aware, the 8866 motor was only used in two train sets - the 7897 and 7898. It was used in conjunction with this part, which housed the batteries and RC receiver as well as providing a base to build the loco on. This was between the 9v metal rails and PF eras, I believe, as it used the 9v style connections and was even incorporated with the older light system.

1 hour ago, ColletArrow said:

As far as I am aware, the 8866 motor was only used in two train sets - the 7897 and 7898. It was used in conjunction with this part, which housed the batteries and RC receiver as well as providing a base to build the loco on. This was between the 9v metal rails and PF eras, I believe, as it used the 9v style connections and was even incorporated with the older light system.

Thank you ColletArrow. I looked up those sets and they are listed ~$500+ on Amazon.

Thank you all for your responses.

You can also use 8866 motor with regular Power Functions AAA battery box and PF IR receiver.  It is not necessary to have that old battery/RC base part.  8866 is not as strong as the 88002 but it is fine to use in short trains or a railcar.

23 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

You can also use 8866 motor with regular Power Functions AAA battery box and PF IR receiver.  It is not necessary to have that old battery/RC base part.  8866 is not as strong as the 88002 but it is fine to use in short trains or a railcar.

Thank you, that's good to know. I do have one 8866 that I clearly bought without knowing its weaknesses.