Sign in to follow this  
paupadros

Old Ben's Gallery | An Awesome Modular!

2792423-o_1b58b01jl8d91as81qicb6dq0mo-full.png

Old Ben's Gallery is my take on taking Pet Shop's concept to the max. (Loosely) based on Casa Amatller and Casa Batlló in Barcelona. Includes exactly 3000 bricks, quite funny....

If you feel like it's worth it, support it on Ideas: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/163149

2756896-o_1b358mq7ri4e1rvj1fum40u1r977-thumbnail.png

It's even hard to know where to look here! There's stuff everywhere! To save space, notice how the staircase goes through the outside.

2753614-o_1b2t9rb3njdmern183d1usn1erp7-thumbnail.png

Second floor. Quite cosy, not much to showcase though, appart from that beautiful painting made out of custom prints.

2736358-o_1b1q5mq2q18jk1o3j1heuhccbp07-thumbnail.png

Detail of the two very different but complimentary roofs.

2751394-o_1b2ndquem1uic41313m121q1nc8h-thumbnail.png

The five minifigures. Close-ups of porcelain table, hat-hanger, painter painting MS, IV & TIH, painting, mini models...

2738479-o_1b1ugtgro1q871psb1s1r18ipbsrh-thumbnail.png

Together with Italian Villa and The Iron Horse!

2803589-o_1b5pfnrp41tn0vcr1mfh52n1fjv7-full.png

Together with Magic Shop!

2803585-o_1b5pfmjds17noi6g1sgb1js2105v7-full.png

Along with Assembly Square, they're quite complimentary, I think!

That really looks like a dog's breakfast. Which is quite accurate, as the real buildings are quite... "unique" too.

cNQKU0a.jpg

I don't believe that this translates to Lego very well. Part of the appeal of the modular buildings line is familiarity - the designs are common all around the world. The buildings these were based on were intended to be the exact opposite - distinctive to the point of alien. I feel that this fact makes these buildings look like the work of a five year old. Although you've done a fine job recreating them, to anyone unfamiliar with these buildings they come across as unrefined by breaking basically all of the attractive architecture guidelines.

I like it, but it's to different for my tast

I'm still going to support you, because we need different things ( and you made a great creation )

Goodluck

Greetings

I don't like saying negative things, but I was going to comment on how ugly these buildings are...looking at the real thing, then you are accurate. Well done!

The building design translates to LEGO okay, but the colors mis-match and patterns stand out too much in LEGO form.

Keep up the good work. You have succeeded.

I get your points guys. Saying something is dog's breakfast isn't the nicest thing, but hey, I'll respect your opinion anyways. :hmpf_bad:

I was feeling like the modular street was getting too... Americanised and boring. Everything with the same roofs, same windows etc. A bit of a change is good, and yes, that includes dragon roofs... :sweet:

Thanks to those who supported!

Nice! When I saw the first picture I immediatley thought of the Casa Batlló. So for me it was instant recognision. And considering the organic shapes of the original buildings that is quite a feat.

I am wondering how one bulding would look in 32 wide and a bit taller.

1 hour ago, Man with a hat said:

I am wondering how one bulding would look in 32 wide and a bit taller.

I actually considered making a 32-wide Casa Batlló, but the roof was just a complete flop. Making them 16-wide makes them unrealistic un terms of width, but feasible in terms of overall look for the modular street!

My comment was actually a compliment, disguised as an insult. I see that now. Your LEGO creations accurately portray what the actual buildings look like, so you have done a fine job. My response was more of a knock against the actual buildings. Granted, I am American with very little travel experience, so I am not as cultured in European buildings or their meanings, so I do apologize.

11 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

My comment was actually a compliment, disguised as an insult. I see that now. Your LEGO creations accurately portray what the actual buildings look like, so you have done a fine job. My response was more of a knock against the actual buildings. Granted, I am American with very little travel experience, so I am not as cultured in European buildings or their meanings, so I do apologize.

Yeah, if you don't like the source material there's not much I can do... But it really was me who misunderstood you.