supertruper1988

79111 Constitution with M-Motor!

Hello fellow train builders!

I received the Lone Ranger Train for X-mas in 2015 and I was thrilled to have such a great looking train but I was disappointed that it was just a push train.

I looked, at the time, for some easy ways to make it powered but I was not a fan of using the tender as a pushed. I shelved the idea for a few month as my wife and I were planning to move. In the new house I had some space to setup some trains and I wanted to have a powered steamer for my setup. I did a bunch of research on Flickr and here on Eurobricks. I found @zephyr1934's great writeup on how to add a running gear so I ordered his wonderful driving rods and a few other items from Bricklink to take the look to the next level. 

I studied the Emerald Night's running gear and I ordered up some motors and other parts I thought I would need and got to work modifying my train. 

Gp0nbc1.jpg

MH46uAa.jpg

FBWOWsk.jpg

As you can see I was successful! :grin:

rZ3SX3W.jpg

87zTrbB.jpg

H6TR0ZZ.jpg

I has to put the battery and IR Receiver in a custom box car (doors removed to show the detail)

VQlCuub.jpg

09CYuda.jpg

2NnzdoO.jpg

I have also created and LXF and some instructions using @msx80's wonderful Blueprint! 

My personal one has the driving rods mod but I did not want to take the work of Zephyr1934 so the instructions show the original front bogie design. There is a section where its easy to put either design on the train. 

I also modified the tender to come off easily so that you can store the train without too much hassle. I have included that in the instructions. 

I did not include the box car because I figure that each person will want a different type of consist and can build a simple box to hold a battery and IR receiver. 

You can down load the instructions and LXF here.

I would also like some feedback on the instructions if you have a chance to look at them. I try to mirror the flow and style of the Official Lego ones :classic:

Edited by cameronmiller1988

Looks good!

I would've opted to enlarge the tender to accommodate the battery box though, and also make the tender with 4 axles instead of two.

How long did it take you to generate these instructions btw?

Looks good! I love seeing a good steamer that actually does the work!

3 hours ago, ALCO said:

Looks good! I love seeing a good steamer that actually does the work!

Thanks! I didnt really change much of the outer appearance just fixed under the "hood" haha

23 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

Looks good!

I would've opted to enlarge the tender to accommodate the battery box though, and also make the tender with 4 axles instead of two.

How long did it take you to generate these instructions btw?

Thank you! I like the look of the small tender so I thought about sticking the IR receiver in there but I didnt like how it was working out. 

For a model of this size I was able to go from completed LDD to PDF in under an hour. I have some others that I am still working on slowly after a couple weeks and I have done a bunch of sports cars in @imvanya's wonderful sports car thread and those take about 15-20 minutes, once I can finalize the correct colors for the pieces. 

Does the flow of the instructions I have generated make sense? I can follow it but I also created them haha. 

It can pull the train pictured but if I added some rubber bands to the wheels, it could pull more. The M-motor isn't super powerful so you could probably get a maybe 6-7 cars behind it.