Murdoch17

7997 - inspired railroad station - expanded and improved

I built this station with set the 2007 CITY set 7997 in mind. I got the original set in 2007, along with a double rail crossover for my Birthday that year. I wanted to make it a full building but didn't have the parts. By 2008, I had discovered Bricklink, but the station was in pieces by then and was not re-created until early 2012. The station was a stock set, while I searched for ideas. Eventually, I came across a build by a fellow Eurobricks user named Lazarus that incorporated a modular basis, a full building (street & track-sides) & a appealing design. I saved a picture of it and made my own design based on his. I included really neat features, (such as the arched lattice windows made with a fence) but I went too far and made it impossible to transport to train shows and LUG meetings. The platforms were very flimsy om the XL baseplates, and during the move to my families current house, it shattered into small chunks. So, I went back to the drawing board, scrapping everything but the building itself. Here is the end result, which is strangely near where I started with set 7997. It has one platform, plentiful outside seating on the platform, and is red instead of yellow. There are many changes from the set, (no stairs on the platform, for example.) but the heart and soul of that 2007 set is still there.

37861700586_50a79a08ef_z.jpg

The row of studs on both track and street sides should say the station name in printed 1 x 1 tiles. This sign currently says "IRONWOOD", as that's the name of my city layout.

24058531818_cda376c937_z.jpg

The model is now 8 studs deeper, allowing for more room for my hands when being worked on. Here we can see the street side of the station with it's new wheelchair access ramp.

24058532368_37e5f33ab1_z.jpg

Here we can see the interior of the station, with blue ticket machines, seating, and snack bar on the first floor.

37861701096_d2509df7b2_z.jpg

The train tracking / switching controls are located on the second floor along with the employees - only coffee machine with paper cups.. This printed part here provides the computer display screen.

37200663434_6f192a007d_z.jpg

Here you can see the modular breakdown of the model, which includes the following:

-Station building (lower floor)
-Station roof and Tower control room (upper floor)
-Tower roof
-left platform section
-right platform section

The LDD file is here, in case anyone wants to built their own version. (I will be building this version soon, most likely before Christmas.)

Comments, Questions & Complaints welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

sorry for the one-year bump, but I thought that this was probably more acceptable than starting a new thread for the same model.

30656681230_71916c5485_z.jpg

I have updated the model from this...

37861700586_50a79a08ef_z.jpg

to this!

What do you guys think?