Hello guys,

I have a question. I was wondering whether multilink front suspension with drive can be done using Technic pieces? Has anyone tried it before? I mean something like Audi's 4 link suspension, 2 bottom and two upper links. I am familiar with Nicjasno's example without drive, but is it possible to add drive without loosing advantages like nearly perfect pivot points, scrub radius and kingpin inclination?

Cheers!

I builded front multilink suspension one time. It's not driven, but there's enough space for fitting shaft with CV-joints. Main problem here - shaft will act like another suspension link, limiting hub movement somehow.

27113020676_9d6773392d_c.jpg

I feel some kind of challenging puzzle in this topic)

Edited by Victor Imaginator

11 hours ago, Victor Imaginator said:

I builded front multilink suspension one time. It's not driven, but there's enough space for fitting shaft with CV-joints. Main problem here - shaft will act like another suspension link, limiting hub movement somehow.

I'd have thought that using CV joints (which allow the axle inserted into them to slide a little) would get rid of this problem. Maybe I'm wrong and the problem is that the shaft only has two flex-points.

3 hours ago, TheMindGarage said:

I'd have thought that using CV joints (which allow the axle inserted into them to slide a little) would get rid of this problem. Maybe I'm wrong and the problem is that the shaft only has two flex-points.

I found that shaft with CV joints works good with parralel arms of same length. Or, at least, ideal 90 degree oriented arms, like rear suspension of my Porsche 550. With various weird angles and different arms length - shaft act weird. Maybe the problem is the precision needed for adjusting multilink suspension, that not achievable easy with LEGO parts/

On 12/10/2016 at 11:30 PM, Victor Imaginator said:

I found that shaft with CV joints works good with parralel arms of same length. Or, at least, ideal 90 degree oriented arms, like rear suspension of my Porsche 550. With various weird angles and different arms length - shaft act weird. Maybe the problem is the precision needed for adjusting multilink suspension, that not achievable easy with LEGO parts/

I agree - making half-stud adjustments is tricky already, but half a stud is already a significant amount when you're adjusting camber angle. Sometimes I've used L-shaped arms for finer adjustments - if the original arm is 4 studs long, I can go 4x1 (that's sqrt17 studs).