jhaelego

Chrome Minifigs?

I am hoping someone has a reasonable explanation for the lack of chrome minifig because I have been puzzled by the situation for quite a while. What is stopping Lego from producing certain mini figures in chrome? For example, the force awakens c 3po from last year would have looked wonderful in chrome. This omission doesn't make sense to me, because the Tc 14 polybag from a few years earlier was in chrome.

I have looked into this and found that there could be a cost issue, and an environmental impact issue. This doesn't make sense to me, because Lego mass produces MULTIPLE chrome key chains (a chrome gold brick, chrome silver brick, chrome gold minifigure. Etc.) Why skimp out on star wars mini figures?

The chrome chipping off indicates a piece had severe abuse, like heavy mouth chewing and such.

I grown up with the 1999-2000 starwars line where chromed hilts and arrows were common and I played with them a lot.

I went to check them back, and not one of my hilt's chrome chipped.

The chrome chipping off indicates a piece had severe abuse, like heavy mouth chewing and such.

I grown up with the 1999-2000 starwars line where chromed hilts and arrows were common and I played with them a lot.

I went to check them back, and not one of my hilt's chrome chipped.

Never abused my my chromed bricks.

my skin is more acidic then normal :hmpf_bad: maybe thats my problem.

I too haven't experienced chipping like that with any of my chrome elements. Even so, it isn't as though Lego doesn't want to make chrome elements in general. As I stated, they have numerous keychains in production that are chromed. It's the fac thtey don't want to chrome minifigs, specifically the star wars ones.

Edited by jhaelego

I don't think TLG have much excuse for not giving us a chrome C-3PO. My C-3PO from the early 80's survived so much abuse and still had good chrome the last time I saw it, and my nephews are hard on any toys and they have many toys with chrome that look just fine. Those light saber hilts have just been chromed very poorly.

I too haven't experienced chipping like that with any of my chrome elements. Even so, it isn't as though Lego doesn't want to make chrome elements in general. As I stated, they have numerous keychains in production that are chromed. It's the fac thtey don't want to chrome minifigs, specifically the star wars ones.

All my old lightsaber hilts have degraded like that too. The new ones, however, are fine ;) . I guess just the young me used to click the lightsabers a lot of times in minifig's hands, causing stress on the chrome and wearing it off.

I think it's too early to draw the conclusion that Lego won't make any chrome minifigs anymore. It's quite sure not any of them will appear in normal sets - they are more expensive to make and are less resistant to frequent child play and scratching in big boxes of pieces. The recent metallic shades provide a good cheap & durable alternative. But in polybags, I think chrome minifigs are still possible, not really enough years have passed to completely rule out the possibility of chrome minifigs in polybags, after all, there have been just 3 of these instances in the past, with 2 and 3 years between those, and most released on very special occasions. Last point, there aren't a whole lot of minifigs that can be done in chrome, making it unpossible to do one every year. To my knowledge, only a chrome C-3PO (which is agreed, highly overdue), black chrome Darth Vader, TC-14/E-3PO/U-3PO (which are all the same for TLG's views) and maybe even an R2-D2 with chrome dome and Anakin with chrome gold hand (which would be a bit lame, honestly) are possible.

I think the chrome only get chipped when it gets scratched by other pieces or objects. I have many miscellaneous parts in huge boxes and every once in a while, I see a chrome light saber holy that only has a couple chips in it. On the other hand, I keep all my minifigures in a storage bin, of which some have chrome hilts and they are in great condition. So I don't see any reason TLG doesn't give us more chrome minifigs.

Edited by joeyl19

I don't think TLG have much excuse for not giving us a chrome C-3PO. My C-3PO from the early 80's survived so much abuse and still had good chrome the last time I saw it, and my nephews are hard on any toys and they have many toys with chrome that look just fine. Those light saber hilts have just been chromed very poorly.

Wait, what do you mean C-3PO from the 80's?

Anyways, I agree with the OP. I've been dying to get a chrome R2, and an updated chrome 3PO. Lego, I hope you're planning something!

Wait, what do you mean C-3PO from the 80's?

I mean non lego figures from the olden days, the technology to chrome plastic propery and cheaply has been around for decades

I've never understood the reasoning that the chrome chips more easily - I feel like the newer lightsaber hilts that are not chrome just dull in color and chip much more easily than the old chrome.

I've never understood the reasoning that the chrome chips more easily - I feel like the newer lightsaber hilts that are not chrome just dull in color and chip much more easily than the old chrome.

can you show photos of the new silver plastic wearing off? ive cut a few apart and they are only lighter because of pressure from a blade and normally clean up.

can you show photos of the new silver plastic wearing off? ive cut a few apart and they are only lighter because of pressure from a blade and normally clean up.

For what its worth, I also have a lot of matte silver pieces where the silver paint has worn off to varying degrees. Not convinced I could capture it in a photo though.

I know that many people are fascinated by shiny things and from time to time I do appreciate chromed minifigures. However, as minifigures are intended to be toys - it just happened to be collectable and looks good to be displayed.

Now, as stated above chromed parts peeling off will vary...but all factors beings being equal - acidity, temperature and whatever corrosive agents - I am not keen to let my children play with chromed parts because like it or not they will ingest some of them. So I rather have less chromed parts to worry about when buying kids present.

Im sure TLG had factored in safety on releasing chromed parts and minifigs.

You don't give out keychains for children to play so I am guessing that's the reason why TLG have more liberty to release chromed keychains.

I know that many people are fascinated by shiny things and from time to time I do appreciate chromed minifigures. However, as minifigures are intended to be toys - it just happened to be collectable and looks good to be displayed.

Now, as stated above chromed parts peeling off will vary...but all factors beings being equal - acidity, temperature and whatever corrosive agents - I am not keen to let my children play with chromed parts because like it or not they will ingest some of them. So I rather have less chromed parts to worry about when buying kids present.

Im sure TLG had factored in safety on releasing chromed parts and minifigs.

You don't give out keychains for children to play so I am guessing that's the reason why TLG have more liberty to release chromed keychains.

That's an interesting difference that you're pointing out, but I would still expect kids to get keychains, even if only to put on their backpacks.

On 9/20/2016 at 10:23 PM, BrickHat said:

That's an interesting difference that you're pointing out, but I would still expect kids to get keychains, even if only to put on their backpacks.

Kids will still get keychains, but it is less likely to be in their mouth :tongue:

12 hours ago, BrickHat said:

Really? I have never noticed. Is this a well-known fact? I've never seen a comparison.

The print seems to always have smears and not lined up right. 

They seem to rubb off easier aswell. 

1 hour ago, pittpenguin123 said:

The print seems to always have smears and not lined up right. 

They seem to rubb off easier aswell. 

But the rubbing off could be a result of their use. I mean, most minifigs don't hang out in people's pockets with their keys.

1 hour ago, BrickHat said:

But the rubbing off could be a result of their use. I mean, most minifigs don't hang out in people's pockets with their keys.

I use my kechains as figures not key chains