Sign in to follow this  
lcvisser

[HELP] Combining Studless and Studded Parts

There have been a number of topics dedicated to the studless vs. studded discussion, but I'm more interested in uniting the two paradigms. I really like the new possibilities that studless building gives me, but I also like the look of studded models. The combination is wonderful, as builder like e.g. like 2LegoOrNot2Lego, Erik Leppen, M_Longer and others show.

So I'm interested in learning techniques on how to combine the two. In particular, how do you deal with the odd vs. even number of studs along the width of your model? Parts like

32557.png41678.png32291.png

are useful, but I guess there's many more possibilities. Can you share some?

Illustrated examples are welcomed :classic:

If you cast your mind back a few years for example the 4x4 crawler that had a studded chassis with studless axle assembly's.

The parts you posted above are some of those most common,there is now a 4x2 offset connector too which is useful.

I think the best way to plan ahead if mixing both styles,and break down the model into chunks or blocks.

It depends on particular model. For example, TGS cab was built in odd width:

TGS%20page_84.jpg

Some parts of the cab are built in even width, by using bottom tubes on the plates:

TGS%20cab%20bottom.JPG

TGS%20page_119.jpg

Sometimes I use thin liftarms to create odd-to-even connections.

Hi.

I've been trying to combine the two styles too. I've found the 4404 creator set has an interesting way to add suspension to a studfull body.

001.jpg

also the Roaring roadster has a good base to add studles chassis stuff,

51LfdSLpORL._SX355_.jpg

And these bits are very useful,

2444.t1.png2458.t1.png32529.t1.png32530.t1.png

The best way to teach myself has been to find a creator set I like, and make it more Technic!

Hope this helps a bit....

Edited by Oliver 79

These are great for getting 1/2 stud offsets in various directions:

4210665.jpg4210759.jpg4547958.jpg

And of course, these old things are always useful:

4210639.jpg4210762.jpg

You could probably get stuff done with this too (I haven't, haha)

4252399.jpg

I used a combination of stud and studless to plate my Star Wars RC clone tank for that studdy look. The frame is studded Technic bricks in an odd width. The drive train is all studless pinned to the Technic brick frame. The superstructure is a combination of stud and studless pinned together to form a frame for the plates to attach to the studded Technic bricks. It's pinned to the Technic frame using these: 32557.png

I also used axles and half brushings in other builds to get even to center on odd.

Some parts of the cab are built in even width, by using bottom tubes on the plates:

TGS%20cab%20bottom.JPG

I never thought of that... I guess my OCD brain doesn't allow me to thing of asymmetrical constructions, but it makes a lot of sense. :classic:

These are great for getting 1/2 stud offsets in various directions:

4210665.jpg4210759.jpg4547958.jpg

The one on the left is indeed very useful. I didn't know about the existence of the right-hand one...!

And of course, these old things are always useful:

4210639.jpg4210762.jpg

Very true, how could I forget about those...

You could probably get stuff done with this too (I haven't, haha)

4252399.jpg

It seems a lot of people struggle with this part. I believe Jeroen Ottens used it in his DB11, and people commented there that the part looks so useful but is actually hard to use. I only notice now that it's 2 wide along the short side, which would make it fit in nice with studded frames. I don't have it though... :blush:

It seems a lot of people struggle with this part. I believe Jeroen Ottens used it in his DB11, and people commented there that the part looks so useful but is actually hard to use. I only notice now that it's 2 wide along the short side, which would make it fit in nice with studded frames. I don't have it though... :blush:

In my opinion those are easy parts to use,but I don't own any ether.

That frame is amazing, got it in a mysterious Bionicle build from a second hand market. Haven't used it a lot, but using it right now.Something that I like a lot are those axle holes

Those frames were only ever made for the Visorak. I do wonder why they never re-used that piece.

Love it. Perfect frame part for loaders:

L250G%20rama.jpg

I have used it in my two loaders, considering using it in another articulated machine.