Columbus019

Megablocks (sorry) Star Trek The Original Series!

It's definitely worrying that the only two videos I've seen of this set either had serious problems with parts not fitting together / major misprints / entire bags missing / prints misaligned. It isn't helping to change my opinion that Megabloks are inferior, that's for sure. It's also a shame that the saucer has studs all over it while the rest of the model is smooth, makes it look like two different sets have been stuck together.

All that said, I've ordered one anyway, because it's still a thing of beauty. Unfortunately I still can't find a single UK company that sells it, so I've had to import it from the US to the UK, totalling $400 / £300 :(

I'll make a proper review with in-progress pictures once I have it, since I haven't seen any anywhere.

After seeing Jang's review there is no way I'm building this beast. Those printed pieces alone seem to take this model from challenging to complete frustration seeing how numbered bags are not allowed. The LCAC took me 3 evenings to complete after the parts were sorted by category, but there is no way I have the patience to actually sort by each individual type and then match it to the parts list to see if I'm missing anything from that sea of grey. The missing bag explains why it took so long for his review to be posted from the unboxing video.

I must say I have built 30 or so MB COD and Halo kits over the past year and just this weekend while building the Mantis (old) and then the Apache (brand new), I found my first missing or malformed parts. The Mantis has a malformed cheese slope and the Apache had a malformed 1x2 plate to get studs on the side. Thankfully the Apache was still buildable by using an extra 1x1 part and and you do not notice the missing part on the Mantis. This experience makes me realize how frustrating it would be to have to wait for a part in the mail and why so many are spiteful of MB. I have had one Lego kit missing a part in the past 2yrs of building.

Just watched Jang's NCC-1701 review. The missing bag of pieces and the smudged Spock face makes me still worry about Megablocks quality. With that said seeing the finished model; WOW! As a die-hard Lego fan, I would not be ashamed to own such a beautiful Megablocks set. Also all the printed pieces, last time Lego did that many prints was the boiler for the Emerald Night... They look very good.

If it wasn't for the obvious QC issues I'd love to get it. Even then it looks like MB has good enough customer service I could easily get replacement parts.

My copy of this set arrived yesterday (imported at enormous expense), only for it to suddenly have a UK release date (Aug 31st) for £190 at Zavvi: http://www.zavvi.com/toys-construction/mega-bloks-star-trek-the-original-series-u.s.s.-enterprise-ncc-1701-vehicle/11321471.html This is a little over half the price the set cost me, so I'm kind of annoyed. I'd asked every UK toy store I could think of if they'd be getting it, but I'd forgotten Zavvi even exists. So yeah, looks like you'll be able to get it in the UK in a few weeks at least, at exactly the $250 Amazon.com price, which is unusual.

I started building it last night and finished the stand. Thankfully, there were no painting problems with my figures like the kind Jang had. Tonight I'll hopefully get the engineering hull done. Uploaded a couple of pictures of the packaging if anyone is interested: http://imgur.com/a/jTI3p The box is glorious and there are So. Many. Bags. Mega Bloks have definitely improved their quality since I last made one of their sets and the pieces snap together nicely. So far I'd say they're about 90% up to Lego's standards. The lack of numbered bags is a real problem though.

Yeah, guys, since Jang buys his MB sets super early, he almost seems to always have bad luck and receive problematic sets most of the time, whereas the rest of us don't have the problems.

Some of his subscribers even joke about it, saying it's a curse.

Also, if LEGO wanted the license for Star Trek they would've applied for it years ago like they did with Star Wars.

Edited by Jetrax99

Just throwing a question out here. Which line of Star Trek sets do you guys prefer? Kre-O or Mega Bloks? Personally I lean more towards Kre-O but that's just me, how do you guys feel?

Just throwing a question out here. Which line of Star Trek sets do you guys prefer? Kre-O or Mega Bloks? Personally I lean more towards Kre-O but that's just me, how do you guys feel?

I think that the Megabloks ones are better, even though I have a natural dislike of Megabloks, I juts really like TOS and the MB set range seems far better.

And now for something, completely different

I saw STAR TREK BEYOND at the weekend and it was amazing!!

Columbus

I'm not a fan of either's bricks, but if I were going to get any of these I'd go for the MB ones, simply because of the subject matter. I'm not at all a fan of the new movies (from 2009 on), but I love and adore the franchise in general pre-2009, and the subject matter of the MB sets include the first things I'd want from a Star Trek toy line. I do wish LEGO had the license, though.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

I'm not a fan of either's bricks, but if I were going to get any of these I'd go for the MB ones, simply because of the subject matter. I'm not at all a fan of the new movies (from 2009 on), but I love and adore the franchise in general pre-2009, and the subject matter of the MB sets include the first things I'd want from a Star Trek toy line. I do wish LEGO had the license, though.

Yes I agree, except that I find the 2009- star trek to be a very possible future, especially in light of NASA's new IXS Enterprise design.

Columbus

Amazon had the set for 40% off on Friday, so went ahead and ordered it.  It arrived this morning and is far heavier than I was expecting.  I'd rather have a Lego version of this but beggars can't be choosy.

On 11/6/2016 at 10:49 AM, sandtrooper said:

Amazon had the set for 40% off on Friday, so went ahead and ordered it.  It arrived this morning and is far heavier than I was expecting.  I'd rather have a Lego version of this but beggars can't be choosy.

Would be interested in seeing your pictures, and perspective from a Lego fan on how they feel about it.

On 11/14/2016 at 7:47 PM, xboxtravis7992 said:

Would be interested in seeing your pictures, and perspective from a Lego fan on how they feel about it.

I'm going to a six day work week through the holidays, so won't get around to it till early next year.  I haven't even opened it yet.

Edited by sandtrooper

Didn't even know Megablocks came out with these. I can't say I like the enterprise look. Never saw them in stores. I bought the Kre-O Enterprise and was disappointed with it. I prefer the Kre-O figures to the Megablocks ones.