NXS7

X-Men Movies Discussion

Thought I would make this thread so we can talk about the X-Men Movies outside of the Marvel Cinematic Universe thread, seeing as they are different things (unfortunately)

I have not seen Apocalypse yet but I hope to see it this weekend. I remember Bryan Cranston said he wanted to play Mr. Sinister in an X-men movie. I think that would be pretty cool for the next installment.

There's a really quite subtle and sort of profound moment in Apocalypse, that probably a lot of people didn't catch, where

Magneto throws two beams into the ground and they form a giant X.

I found that really thoughtful and moving, and thought it really elevated the film beyond a standard comic book movie.

:tongue:

The ancient opening of the film is great. And after that, I always forget and am reminded to my great delight that X-Men is the final holdout for 1990s comic book movie CG fest opening credits. And another thing that thrilled me was

Proper comics costumes! on Nightcrawler, Storm, Cyclops, and Mystique (at the end), Weapon X, Archangel, Psylocke, and Jubilee (although, idiotically she gets no action - and this was kinda the only chance if they do the strange "movie set in each decade and no-one ages between", I'd still think that's not supposed to be an outfit someone wears their whole life.

I found it solid for what it is, even with the dumb bits.

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

The film had a lot of good moments, but was just quite underwhelming.

Apocalypse didn't feel as epic and evil as he should have.

Jean Grey was really badly acted.

It didn't feel like Jennifer Lawrence put any heart into Mystique. She's just sort of there throughout the movie.

The ending fight is just quite dull.

That said,

Michael Fassbender is amazing as always.

Nightcrawler and Quicksilver really stood out as characters.

Quicksilver's scene was great again.

Overall the movie just felt quite rushed and lazy. I did enjoy it, but tbh I probably would have preferred two hours of Magneto working in a factory in Poland and the teenage mutants going round the mall getting up to hijinks.

I have yet to see Apocalypse but already I feel like they've overused a second rate comic book villain (Mystique). Love the classic based costume, even Mystique's (based on the image they showed, but should really have left for us to see in cinema), but I think they should just kill her off. First Class Mystique was nice. DoFP was accurate (villain with ideals and heart). I'm instantly scared to have her be the main character of this movie

Just watched Apocalypse.

I loved it. I have know idea why it's getting bad reviews. I loved Apocalypse and thought he was a great villain. I also can't wait to see characters such as Jean, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Psylocke in future films.

My worst to best X-men universe movies.

9. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

8. X-Men: The Last Stand

7. The Wolverine

6. X-Men

5. X-Men: First Class

4. X-Men: Apocalypse

3. X-Men 2: X-Men Unite

2. Deadpool

1. X-Men Days Of Future Past

So, anyone else find it to be a neat fact that the ancient pyramids had a self-destruct mechanism that could be activated by two people? Learn something new every movie!

Just seen the film today, it was amazing. Not as good as Civil War, but I really enjoyed it.

It feels like with all his power Apocalypse was very underused as a villain.

After hearing many details about the mall scene, disappointed that it wasn't shown. It sounded so funny.

If I had to choose between DOFP and AOU Quicksilver, I would have chose Avengers. But after seeing Peter run around the school saving everyone with crazy high jinks and Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) plus Peter POUNDING Apocalypse, I love this version of QSilver now. Evan Peter's has his work cut out for him for the next films speed scene, but he'll do great, as he always does

Miniature Cyclops, Jean and Kurt (and obviously Peter :wink: ) just became my favourite characters of the First Class trilogy. They were portrayed excellently, I know Tye and Sophie are gonna be amazing in Dark Phoenix, whenever we get it

Enjoyed the movie as a whole, but my biggest gripes were:

1. Predictability. The moment you see Magneto's wife and daughter you know they're going to die to catalyze a path for revenge where he ends up joining Oscar Isaac in taking it out on mankind. Then he comes back to the good side through some pep talk regarding friendship and family - they may as well have just had him work with Charles et al. from the start.

2. Lack of actual consequences - again, the end of the movie shows Apocalypse getting beaten in like 10 seconds and everyone just breezing over the millions of people that would have died in Cairo and around the world. Add to the fact that no government pursues Erik, and he's left with an even bigger leash of freedom than at the end of DOFP.

If you don't think too hard about the plot, it's pretty enjoyable.

Just saw the movie five days ago and have not had a chance to share my thoughts. Well, it was much better than I was expecting it to be. That's not saying much as it's not the best superhero movie. They could have at least made some of the characters looked like they aged. That's my biggest gripe about this movie. To those of you who liked the quicksilver scene, I did not. That scene dragged so long and just felt sloppy. I liked some of the young characters like cyclops and jean grey. However, Jean Grey's acting wasn't good, I just liked her character for her looks haha. Wolverine's scene was great and definitely saved the film for me. Oscar Isaac was great as apocalypse, he was the only good actor in this movie. Some characters were not used correctly, such as psylocke and angel. They had so much potential to be great characters and they ended up not being good at all. The ending fight had some good action sequences, but some scenes got put in to make fans happy such as

Phoenix. The very last scene had the more accurate costumes, it's a shame that they didn't make them use that for the final battle :( Anyways, the sentinels in the end were a nice touch.

Overall, the timeline didn't work for me and the fox verse seems to be confused on the timeline. Some scenes were good and some were just bad. I'd give it a C.

Edited by amazingbricks

Saw the movie this past weekend and overall it was likeable, but not solid. Most of the new cast was not used properly and while I know they shouldn't have a whole lot of back story to worry about, it just felt like too much too fast. I was bored with Apocalypse, as he just felt preachy all the time. I was also bored with Jennifer Lawrence. I felt like when she first played Mystique she was still coming up as an actress and didn't mind the blue and now that she's popular, it's no surprise that the story involves her being blue less often. I kinda prefer my Mystiques to be blue... and also with clothes and no scales.

Prof X was great as usual. Magneto seemed phoned in and I'm tired of the "is he a good guy or not" plot. Wolverine saved the movie by bringing it all together - one of the best scenes with him going berserk rage. The end costumes were great, but each needed just a bit more color and style to really make me feel like we're finally getting the classic X-Men.

The end credit scene was quite a tease.

So... Logan...

Couldn't even think about where to start with a review, so I'll just leave it at this...

It was the best comic book movie I have ever seen. I may be easy to impress with comic book movies, but I truly mean that. It gave Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart a truly heartwarming sendoff for their final movie together

1 hour ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Who's watched the HISHE for Logan? I won't spoil, but it's really funny!

My favourite video they've ever made. While it was funny, it was also very heart felt and probably one of their more emotional videos. 

As is Les Miserables, but the musical Hugh Jackman joke never gets old! As goes my other favorite,the frozen HISHE! Got to check that one out if you haven't already.

These are really hit and miss. I like about half of them!

The latest, Logan, was great... but it wasn't a Super Hero movie and that kind of mellowed it out for me. I kind of want Super Hero movies when going to see a Super Hero movie. 

23 hours ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

As is Les Miserables, but the musical Hugh Jackman joke never gets old! As goes my other favorite,the frozen HISHE! Got to check that one out if you haven't already.

But hunt around for the original version, not the edited one.  Disney legal, apparently, has no sense of humor.