VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

The CCBS parts is actually more expensive to produce than regular Lego bricks and plates.

I meant cheaper to produce then the Gen1 System, my bad. I was comparing CCBS's scarcity of recolors to how many we were supplied in G1. I know people will throw the That's-Why-It-Failed argument in my face but whatever.

Also I was thinking about how some might complain about the amount of Technic being used, and then I thought- What was Bionicle branded as from 01-04, *gasp*, Technic perhaps? I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion, just too entitled(including myself, some might say. Haha.)

I meant cheaper to produce then the Gen1 System, my bad. I was comparing CCBS's scarcity of recolors to how many we were supplied in G1. I know people will throw the That's-Why-It-Failed argument in my face but whatever.

Even it's cheaper to produce than G1 parts, the G2 parts is still more expensive to make than regular Lego bricks and parts.

Well, actually, I don't think it really relates to why Bionicle failed at all. It's actually related to a lot of the problems TLG had up until it reorganized sometime around 2006, which is the last year we see a slew of new parts and colors in specific uses. Later on new parts colors and new parts were more limited, only introducing a handful of new elements at a time. This reorganization is actually what led TLG to become the superstar toy company it is today and recover from its spiraling decline.

Also I was thinking about how some might complain about the amount of Technic being used, and then I thought- What was Bionicle branded as from 01-04, *gasp*, Technic perhaps? I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion, just too entitled(including myself, some might say. Haha.)

To be fair, Bionicle is no longer labelled Technic. It's blatantly CCBS. I can understand why people would lament the heavy use of Technic in 2016. That said, I'm not opposed to the use of Technic in the new sets myself, I quite like it in fact.

BIONICLE was only a Technic subtheme in 2001. 2002 onward it was branded independently.

It's never stopped using the Technic system, though. CCBS is regarded internally as a subset of the Technic system. The argument that sets are using "too much Technic" is more about ball-and-cup connections versus pin-and-beam.

By the way: Are the dark blue shells on Gali 5M?

Both shells are 4M. One is Dark Azure and the transparent one is the darker shade of blue.

I believe that they are 4M.

On the topic of recolors- I doubt that it costs that much to make new ones, the only difference being the cost of dye. The only issues are with space to keep parts, and even that is not much of an issue because they don't really keep bins of parts anymore. I think part of it is due to Lego not wanting to have a large element library open (aka 'different parts in different colors') for sets in production.

Both shells are 4M. One is Dark Azure and the transparent one is the darker shade of blue.

Wow, this never occured to me before, mostly because I assumed Kopaka's shells were black. I assumed Gali's darker shells were tr. dark blue (transparent shells over transparent bones has been done before on Skull Warrior and Skull Slicer), but dark blue does make more sense now. Dark blue+dark azure, basically a tanned Gali Nuva.

Yeah, all the shells on her limbs are 4M.

Wow, this never occured to me before, mostly because I assumed Kopaka's shells were black. I assumed Gali's darker shells were tr. dark blue (transparent shells over transparent bones has been done before on Skull Warrior and Skull Slicer), but dark blue does make more sense now. Dark blue+dark azure, basically a tanned Gali Nuva.

Yeah, all the shells on her limbs are 4M.

I am pretty sure her shells are still Trans-Dark-blue and not the opaque variant. I can see the bone through the shell on her left arm, and it matches the shade of Trans-Dark-Blue very well.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this but I think "rear-gear" is not connected with a 4-m rod but with 1 module smaller variant ( a piece that I have hoped for :) ). You can look at Rey's shoulder connection on the club magazine for proof.

Here is the build and existing parts I'm pretty sure Gali has so far. Keep in mind LDD doesn't do transparent colors that well and this was based on the preliminary.

3yvnPDX.png

Edited by GK733

I'm not too fond of the brick-built propeller. :/ They should've used some propeller piece instead and recolor it orange.

Personally I like is better, it looks more complex(?) than one of those tiny turbine pieces.

Personally I like is better, it looks more complex(?) than one of those tiny turbine pieces.

I think it look's better than any propellers that they could've use, but it looks really heavy and because of that... not so practical, but it's less of being a propeller and more of a battle equipment. But I could had settled for this: https://img.bricklink.com/PL/87751.jpg if it meant more parts for the rest of the figure.

Kinda sad it's not a propeller because then I can't blow on it and make it spin...

You don't know how much joy I get from doing that.

...kinda shocking I noticed this just now but... did they change Umarak's trans-green to same with Scorpio and Pohatu?

...kinda shocking I noticed this just now but... did they change Umarak's trans-green to same with Scorpio and Pohatu?

Looks trans apple to me. Note how the claws on his feet already came in the trans apple with Scarox, so it'd make since.

Do you think they'll do another building contest next year, this time for a golden Mask of Control? If they do, I bet it's going to be a "make a creature for Okoto" sort of thing.

Do you think they'll do another building contest next year, this time for a golden Mask of Control? If they do, I bet it's going to be a "make a creature for Okoto" sort of thing.

Hmm that does sound quite interesting. And moving on, I'm kindof disappointed that ikir has those exposed ball joints on him, and still wished he had trans eyes, not those golden balls trying to be eyes. And I'm quite concerned of how the combos for the lower priced toa are going to look whith their creature helmets. (Please make their masks silver please make the masks silver) I mean, they didn't way they were gold masks...they said masks of unity haha.

Some of the 2015 concepts were reused in the 2016 Toa and Creatures (Tahu and Kopaka with their crysyal-like motifs, that concept of a creature fusing with Tahu...), so what if the Skulls concepts have been reused for the Beasts and UtD? Like Storm Beast for example looking like Battle Bat, or Umarak combining with the Beasts and ending up looking like Kulta Kal.

Quite honestly, I suspect that while the result won't look like Kulta-Kal, Umarak the Destroyer will combine with the Beasts. Considering Umarak is probably at a $25-35 pricepoint and the Beasts at either $15 or $20 each, the result could be very impressive, since it would have $70-95 worth of parts. For reference, the Kardas Dragon's component sets hit the lower bound.

I doubt, however, that Umarak can combine with all Beasts at once, just only one at a time. He would have to be huge to accomodate all three Beasts on his back.

But maybe the three Beasts can combine into one monster (a classic combo model that requires rebuilding) which in turn can be combined with Umarak (like the Toa+Creatures Unity mode) for Ultimate Umarak goodness.

I doubt, however, that Umarak can combine with all Beasts at once, just only one at a time. He would have to be huge to accomodate all three Beasts on his back.

Who said the beasts had to attach just to the back?

I think it'd be pretty sweet if the Beasts could break apart and armor up different parts of Umarak (a concept I was hoping would be the case with the 2016 Toa, but that's beside the point). Or, there's three beasts, right? One could be on his back and the other two on his legs or arms. Maybe each could split to more symmetrically give him armor?

There're options.

Yeah, I was more thinking in the proper combiner sense rather than the clip-to-the-back sense.