Sign in to follow this  
SkaForHire

[COR - CHIIB] Return of the Torturer and K.G. Strikes Back

PART THREE: Return of the Torturer and K.G. Strikes Back

Part One

Part Two

What a strange man K.G. Nichols really was, he had a thick draw, but Sully Tanner was unsure of where the accent was from. Nichols had proven himself valuable in the Juniper War years ago, but he was still serving out his sentence in the 27th Regiment, a penal regiment, called by some “The Roughnecks” by others, “The Murderers.” Sully knew a little about Nichols service, he was captured during the Juniper War, and instead of paroled like other officers, he was kept in an Oleon prison. At least he had some combat experience, for that Sully was thankful for.

Nichol’s men were a bunch of misfits, most were not wearing proper uniform, and those who did word tattered, dirty, or mismatched uniforms. There was a reason Governor Flynn did not want them at Port Raleigh. They were too rough around the edges for his vision of civilization.

Their guide, Qui’to, as Sully had found out when he set out with the man, had led them into the Jungle from Prospector’s bluff towards the Temple of the Snake. Tanner had actually been to the temple once before, that was where the Ténotclaxcans had made their last treaty with Port Raleigh. It was a “squat-looking” step pyramid, nothing like those of Ancient Halos, but still an impressive work of architecture in the middle of what seemed to be a deserted jungle. Of course Sully had been here long enough to know that was definitely NOT the case.

When they go within spyglass distance, Sully brought his to his eye. His heart sank. There was a high priest, his fellow priest-warriors at the top of the pyramid, and they were holding up a baby above the alter. The alter sat in a pool of blood and former sacrifices’ body parts. On the golden alter lay a Corrington flag, already with some blood on it.

25559057894_6f4fbcab67_c.jpgDSC_2951 by skaforhire, on Flickr

They could hear the priest shouting. Qui’to in rough Corrish translated. “They do ritual to give favor to your enemies. They wish you to fall from the earth. This ready war for them.”

26068187022_a865314f5f_c.jpgsac by skaforhire, on Flickr

If that had not been bad enough, Sully moved his glass down to see who was on the top steps of the pyramid, about 20 feet in the air, watching the show. A Garvian officer and a few Meleckas, another tributary tribe to the Ténotclaxcans, stood on one said, a few other Halosians among them. Only a quarter of the pyramid was in use at this time, and the other top steps were occupied by a Eslandolian merchant and some of Qui’to’s tribe. Finally, in the middle was the big problem. Sully swallowed hard. “There is a platoon of Oleon troops up there, and a captain with them.” He said to Nichols.

He gave Nichols the spyglass and immediately the underdressed officer swore. “That is Raphine Aramore – he is the bastard that tortured me during the war. I thought I gutted him good last time I saw him.”

Sully was shocked, he had heard of Count Aramore, he was an elite commander during the war, and a known inquisitor for the Brotherhood. K.G. had been his prisoner?

“Well, we don’t have much time if we are going to save the baby.” Sully said trying to formulate a plan.

“Your man is already on the attack” Nichols pointed to Qui’to who was running full speed at the temple.

“Damn it…” Sully now swore, not very gentlemanly he thought. “we are not supposed to…” he left off as all of the 27th started making their way towards the backside of the temple in an eerily quiet manner. Sully followed.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

As they stormed up the rear steps, K.G. had one thing on his mind – Count Aramore must die. He had spent too many years in an Oleon prison for a crime he did not commit, Aramore torturing him every day knowing that Nichols had no answers for him, for it was the count himself that was guilty of the crime. But right now there was no time to think about the act of betrayal that got him put in that cell.

25887875610_85b4703601_c.jpgbreakingupthesac by skaforhire, on Flickr

The Roughnecks charged straight into the ritual, and halted the sacrifice. Still, the priest held the baby tight and his men began to fight. Many of the Andequotans began to flee, they didn’t want to die for their master’s sick games. Nichols saw that pretentious lieutenant Tanner knock down the alter and charge the priests. He was brave, K.G. would give him that.

25555996024_9ab083a0d1_c.jpgbreakingupthe by skaforhire, on Flickr

Nichols found Aramore two steps down. “YOU!” he shouted!

26094304691_13aee00862_c.jpgduelb by skaforhire, on Flickr

Aramore recognized his voice and his aged face instantly. “Oh, Nichols, so you are still alive? You look well, devilishly hansom in fact! “

Nichols looked into an all-to-familiar face, and winced as he thrust a sword at it. Aramore ducked and countered. The rest of the battle went still around them.

“You know I am the better swordsman!” Aramore said. “Give up now!”

“I believe I left you with quite a gaping present the last time we saw one another! “ Nichols said.

“You stabbed me in the back!” Aramore cried, “I had no defense!”

“Neither did she!” K.G. grunted. “Neither did she!!!” A swing went wide and cut open another Oleon soldier.

As fast as it had begun, the battle was wrapping up… and Aramore knew this. The Count pulled a powder from his pouch and threw it into K.G.’s eyes. Nichols swung thw sword violently, temporarily blinded, but no deathblow came.

In minutes he could see, and saw that the Corlanders were victorious.

25555887184_2fc2cfe08c_c.jpgThe Roundup by skaforhire, on Flickr

The native had got his babe back, a Garvian foot soldier had been captured, and a Eslandolian merchant had surrendered. No doubt some MAESTRO scum. Nichols was furious, but there was no sign of Aramore. The only good news was that the single casualty among his men would recover quickly from a bump on the head. Oleanders couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn with a cannon anymore.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Sully thrust the flag in the Ténotclaxcan’s face and screamed. “What were you doing here? Where is your king?” Qui’to, now holding his baby translated.

“He say he came to watch, no king.” Qui’to said.

Clearly Sully was not going to get anything out of this man, and he had no one who spoke Garvian or Eslandolan well enough to interrogate the other two men. Tanner knew there was a Olean prisoner, but in the chaos, somebody had slit his throat – Sully suspected Nichols, but did not see him do it.

“Round them up, lets get them back to the fort before Aramore regroups. He noticed Nichols scowl harden further at the mention of the Count’s name.

Lord Flynn was going to have his hands full here, and if there were more Oleanders on Annetta, war may not be too far behind.

Great conclusion to the story, a real page turner...or do I mean post turner? War between Corries and Ollies seems imminent, but wth the colonies in such a fledgling state, I'm not sure this suits either party...

Lovely build, the pyramid looks great, full of life and action. Brilliant idea to do the duel in black and white, it works really well.

Great action build !

Excellent !

To Lord Erie,

I heard you had troubles with some natives.

Those men are known by the Ténotclaxcans and by MAESTRO company as traitors and rebels against the legitimate king Azuma.

They deserve death for the crimes they committed.

MAESTRO is not approving those sacrifices. We are trying to understand and have Pacific relationship with the natives, and with the collaboration of some of your best scientists, we are not stupid warmonger merchants.

The Eslandian merchant you caught has nothing to do with MAESTRO and should be interrogated and judged by Eslandola law. I am asking you, if you were pleased, to send him to our prison in Elysabethtown with a good guard. He will receive what he deserve...

I hope you are not considering MAESTRO company like a trouble maker and will access to my request.

Friendly.

Señor Felipe de la Manzana.

Dear Felipe de la Manzana,

We know that the peace between our settlements is still in good shape. Our fear is that the fracturing within the people known as the Ténotclaxcans may bring instability to the island. Emperor Azuma seems to have a splintering faction who wish to remain with the old religion. It is our understanding the MAESTRO representatives recently convinced the Ténotclaxcans under Azuma to drop the practice of human sacrifice. We agree with this civilized action, but it seems that those elements of Ténotclaxcan society that have a hard time following this path have now decided to conduct their rituals and take action with our former enemy, Oleon. This can only spell problems for our island. We encourage your vigilance in defending the island, and hope that some convention on ownership of the island can come to fruition. In good faith we send you Damion Denela, the merchant we captured at the sacrifice. LT. Tanner will bring him to you via ship within a fortnight. Take care, dear friend.

Lord Governor Erie Flynn,

Excellent build and story ending! The built-up pyramid looks great and the minifig posing is really good throughout the whole action sequence. This has been a superb read and a very good entry.

Dear Felipe de la Manzana,

We know that the peace between our settlements is still in good shape. Our fear is that the fracturing within the people known as the Ténotclaxcans may bring instability to the island. Emperor Azuma seems to have a splintering faction who wish to remain with the old religion. It is our understanding the MAESTRO representatives recently convinced the Ténotclaxcans under Azuma to drop the practice of human sacrifice. We agree with this civilized action, but it seems that those elements of Ténotclaxcan society that have a hard time following this path have now decided to conduct their rituals and take action with our former enemy, Oleon. This can only spell problems for our island. We encourage your vigilance in defending the island, and hope that some convention on ownership of the island can come to fruition. In good faith we send you Damion Denela, the merchant we captured at the sacrifice. LT. Tanner will bring him to you via ship within a fortnight. Take care, dear friend.

Lord Governor Erie Flynn,

Dear Lord Erie Flynn,

I am grateful you have not misunderstood the situation.

MAESTRO and its Ténotclaxcan allies are pleased to see you are trying to keep the peace in Berelli.

Your action against the rebels has been well welcomed. We hope that we could lead rapidly some deep strike against those natives who refuse to follow King Azuma.

I am waiting Lt Sully Tanner in Elysabethtown and will be happy to judge this odious Damion Denela, the merchant you caught. Be ensured he will have the punishment he deserves.

Friendly yours,

Felipe de la Manzana.

How did I miss this earlier? A truly gripping story, once I started reading I couldn't stop, I agree, more of this please!!! And the whole build is great too, love the black and white shot too, really isolates the characters amongst all the action!