I wonder how it will work with two XL motors. The inputs are only at the back, right? Is there a chance to have inputs in front of the gearbox?

Edited by tomek9210

The inputs are only at the back, right

Yes, indeed. But, if you really want put an input on the front, it's possible. Just add minors modifications.

I put motors at the rear to improve space in the front. Because it is not possible to place the gear box in the middle of the rear axle. The gearbox is too large. That's why I put the motors in the back.

If you want powered the gearbox by Xl motors, you'll have to increase speed before connect it to the input. That is my advice :)

Edited by Leviathan

Oh sweet! Great job.

Looking forward to the LDD hopefully in the near future. Something I defiantly want to start looking into in the near future is playing around like this with sets. Just need a few more to be more to get a decent set of pieces :)

Thank for your returns :)

You think this topic is dead, come on see it on Techlug... ^^

The question of reliability is a hard one. Into the box, there are two critical mechanisms : The dual clutch and the speeds shifter. The dual clutch is 100% reliable. No fails during my trials. However, the shifter is not 100% efficient. There are some fails between the reverse and and the speed one. I really have to find an issue to that. So I could say for the shifter, 90% reliable.

This a part of the Bugatti Veyron gearbox. But, the Porsche gt rs is coming, so I'll replace the original 4 speeds + 4 reverse by my dual clutch sequential gearbox. Today, a lot of sport car have a gearbox like this one. So I really want to build an universal chassis to build all super cars I want :)

I started instruction on LDD but it is very long and I don't want to spend my time on it. So I will make certainly photo sequence like you say when I'll correct all my currents problems on the gearbox.

I really want to share this model but I want to share something easy to build without settings and illegals builds.

If you have questions, do not hesitate to ask me :)

Will you make an instruction for this wonderful gearbox?

Hi when will you post More about your gearbox? Im very interrested in your gearbox and want to test it on my supercar i will make.

I don't use sheep's bugatti shifter, neither Shelby's shifter. I've reproduce the Porsche Pdk shifter to shift up down speeds. On my gearbox, I've really optimized it to make it more reliable and more smaller. The second shifter for the dual clutch is a French one. The designer is Steph77. I've improve it to be torque resistant. This shitter is 100% reliable.

Update :

I ve finished the first shifter to make it 100% reliable. It's done ! I'll publish more information soon :)

Nicke but when will you publish More it has gone over 1 month

So, that is one of the skills on the gearbox. You can have a RWD, AWD or FWD because the yellow axle connector is the.... output !

I explain myself :

13256280_479138222287755_488765068238266769_n.jpg?oh=456c747a5ec108afc965629323b54bd6&oe=579C431B

On this picture, on the left you have two yellow axles connectors, right ? They are the two inputs. One for each RC motor. The power is distributed on the two mini gearboxes and you finally have two inputs. One directly on the differential (on the left) and one at the front (on the right). So you can do whatever transmission you want.

If you have any questions, please ask me :)

OK, Here is an Idea. The big problem with a gearbox that is this overdone is all the points of friction it creates. Sure you can grease up the rough spots and reduce friction that way. LEGO gearboxes are just to simple to be complex. I personally see the best gearboxes out there as True LEGO prototypes for a complete functional transmission. I like seeing Gearboxes that work like so but the size is overwhelming and can really throw the build off if size is a problem. Gearboxes this size are pretty much a table display at best. Yea, Its even possible to build a

for a Gearbox but what is the point if speed isn't going to be in the equation. That is why I consider them prototypes, after all, once you start getting the Idea that you simply need a bigger motor to make it work. As of Today, the best gearboxes are made by nobody and that is if you want a bigger motor to make it work. Edited by Boxerlego

OK, Here is an Idea. The big problem with a gearbox that is this overdone is all the points of friction it creates. Sure you can grease up the rough spots and reduce friction that way. LEGO gearboxes are just to simple to be complex. I personally see the best gearboxes out there as True LEGO prototypes for a complete functional transmission. I like seeing Gearboxes that work like so but the size is overwhelming and can really throw the build off if size is a problem. Gearboxes this size are pretty much a table display at best. Yea, Its even possible to build a

for a Gearbox but what is the point if speed isn't going to be in the equation. That is why I consider them prototypes, after all, once you start getting the Idea that you simply need a bigger motor to make it work. As of Today, the best gearboxes are made by nobody and that is if you want a bigger motor to make it work.

Yeah it's big but for cars in scale 1:8 that gearbox maybe work perfect when it's Powered by maybe 2 XL motors

The idea of a double clutch gearbox is mainly about quick shifting in miliseconds between the gears without almost any torque loss / interruption. The "neighbour" gears are free-wheel-running already and have to be engaged only by quick shifting of 2 clutches simultaniously, that´s no big secret.

The big issue is how to implement it in Technic. If you have 2 parallel gearboxes with masses of cogwheels and axles ALL rotating at the same time it can happen that the overall friction doesn´t allow to see the speed increased compared to the previos gear, even if the calculated gear ratios seem perfect. No matter how the shifting mechanism is constructed which is a separate issue.

I´d say 2 XL motors are too weak to drive such a gearbox AND move a big 1/8 car with all gears functionning. RC motors would be the better choice as shown by Sheepo a long time ago in big gearboxes.

This gearbox here would be a really nice display alone IMO. Maybe Leviathan has found a solution for his application and will surprise us with a working super transmission and a big hypercar around it :wink: ... No pressure on him anyway.

The idea of a double clutch gearbox is mainly about quick shifting in miliseconds between the gears without almost any torque loss / interruption. The "neighbour" gears are free-wheel-running already and have to be engaged only by quick shifting of 2 clutches simultaniously, that´s no big secret.

The big issue is how to implement it in Technic. If you have 2 parallel gearboxes with masses of cogwheels and axles ALL rotating at the same time it can happen that the overall friction doesn´t allow to see the speed increased compared to the previos gear, even if the calculated gear ratios seem perfect. No matter how the shifting mechanism is constructed which is a separate issue.

I´d say 2 XL motors are too weak to drive such a gearbox AND move a big 1/8 car with all gears functionning. RC motors would be the better choice as shown by Sheepo a long time ago in big gearboxes.

This gearbox here would be a really nice display alone IMO. Maybe Leviathan has found a solution for his application and will surprise us with a working super transmission and a big hypercar around it :wink: ... No pressure on him anyway.

I have no rc motors and they are pretty expensive in new condition...

But yeah let's hope he makes a very good gearbox cause it has taken long time after he posted something about it...

Edited by No username

Bump

Don't bump topics with a simple "bump" reply. It does nothing to add to the discussion.

2. There's only room for so many recent topics and each bumped one bumps out another. (This is especially in the BSTF forum.) This makes it hard to find the real new topics and can cause silly topic bumping wars and make a mess of everything. This is really annoying for people who don't have much time and find that the "new" topic they opened is really something they read last year that was bumped so someone could say "that's Kool!".

I recommend you read Revisiting old topics (Bumping), which is linked by the Site Guidelines.

Hi when will you post More about your gearbox? Im very interrested in your gearbox and want to test it on my supercar i will make.

Leviathan hasn't even logged onto EB since you asked this question. Continual pointless bumping is not going to get him to log in any sooner.

If you want to be notified of another response in this topic, select Follow on the top right of the screen in this topic.

Hi everyone !

I worked a lot and a long time to finally have a working dual clutch gearbox easy to build.

My goals :

• Easy to build
  • Shifting up and down reliable and efficient
  • Real speeds ratio sequence
  • Working in a moc or for display :)
  • Last but the least, compact.

In pictures, the last version :

29026315383_64ca442b55_b.jpg

29026315153_5061dcba58_b.jpg

The lbg mass with the servo motor is the gearbox system, and in black you have the rear axle. They are so close to reduce length.

To compare dimensions, there some other pictures :

29540197192_890fa342ae_b.jpg

Here, you can compare the 42056 gearbox size on the right. The two axle are on the same axe.

The idea is the the following : I really want to implement this dual clutch gearbox into the Porsche. I don't have think about a manual version of the gearbox, but I think it's possible. With a different paddle shifting anyway... :)

The gearbox is separated into three parts : The rear axle in the background, the gearbox with the dual clutch on the left and the speeds shifting on the right.

29360120500_0b1fd40082_c.jpg

The dual clutch shifter is not present on this picture. I consider that it takes part of the gearbox system but you must assemble it at the end.

I've already worked on the chassis for my MOC :

29552509771_4d3e2d109f_b.jpg

I think I've a "compromise". The gearbox is powered by 4 L motors. 2 by input shaft. For the speeds R - 1 - 2 - 3 and sometimes 4, it is very difficult to see the difference. Even I can assure you my theorical gears ration it perfect :)

For the last speeds, the difference is more important and you can appreciate up and down speeds.

To have a functional prototype ( you can see it on the video ) I preferred to set up 4 L motors. But If you just want a display system to appreciate the mechanism you can replace L motors by two RC motors. It's planned.

Finally, on the video i show you all the speeds in action and the last shifting speeds system :

[media]

[/media]

I'm working on instructions now. It will be a Kevin Moo instructions like. I prefer photo sequence.

29025209834_37a637d3d3_b.jpg

This is Levihathan and I'll see you next time !

Lego technic engeniering at it's best :D I think it is more compact than Sheepo's . But there is still a big question : Can it be used in a 1:10 scale supercar ?

Looks tasty :moar: ! Seems a lot has changed since your last version and you´re still having fun doing that :thumbup:. You have shown clearly the limits of the entire system. RC motors will make the drivetrain run faster, but unfortunately not the shifting itself which I expected to be quicker.

Please don´t feel offended if I say this: you haven´t (re-)invented the wheel, the principle looks like some of Sheepo´s gearboxes to me and it has “only” R+4 (which is great anyway!) And you have finally convinced me not to try again – too big and too slow for my motorized applications, I´ll try something entirely different instead. Thank you for that and for sharing!

Lego technic engeniering at it's best :D I think it is more compact than Sheepo's . But there is still a big question : Can it be used in a 1:10 scale supercar ?

I think it's possible if use it in manual version. The gearbox length alone (without 4 L motors) is 14 studs. This gearbox is not designed for 1:10 super cars, but you can try :)

Looks tasty :moar: ! Seems a lot has changed since your last version and you´re still having fun doing that :thumbup:. You have shown clearly the limits of the entire system. RC motors will make the drivetrain run faster, but unfortunately not the shifting itself which I expected to be quicker.

That's it !

That was a rewarding experience. I didn't re-invented the system but I my opinion, I made my own :)

Thank all of you for the support !