Lukemax

East India Company Troops?

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had come up with any East India Company Troops? from the POTC films?, or knew of any Template torsos to use?,

On that note i also am wondering if the troops used in the films were real or not?, Is that how the real East India company dressed there troops? I cant find any reference photos

Thx

Lukemax

Does anyone know of any reference pictures to work from/Other the movie stills?, i search the net but comes up with indian soldiers of course, also prop stores for detailed photos of the POTC stuff but nout again

You probably mean the Dutch VOC torsos, those are pretty much mostly regular pirate torsos. dark mostly (brown, leather, dark blue, tan but also some white). Im creating some flags for this, WIC and VOC flags. Maybe ill add some sails aswell.

You probably mean the Dutch VOC torsos, those are pretty much mostly regular pirate torsos. dark mostly (brown, leather, dark blue, tan but also some white). Im creating some flags for this, WIC and VOC flags. Maybe ill add some sails aswell.

Wha? Dutch VOC torso?

I think the Dutch confusion might result in that there were several East India Companies run by different European nations so the Dutch members of this forum will automatically think of the VOC - Dutch East Indian Company given the simple term - East India Company. Both of these outfits were active in South Africa given the territorial significance in the trade route to the East. But I wonder if it's correct for 'John Company' to be active in the Carribean as the POTC films suggest given that's the New World. I'm sure as usual wikipedia will provide the answers.

Are ok, Im taking about the East india company troops from the film, i clearly stated in 1st post. Anyone got a good screenshots of them?

I think the Dutch confusion might result in that there were several East India Companies run by different European nations so the Dutch members of this forum will automatically think of the VOC - Dutch East Indian Company given the simple term - East India Company. Both of these outfits were active in South Africa given the territorial significance in the trade route to the East. But I wonder if it's correct for 'John Company' to be active in the Carribean as the POTC films suggest given that's the New World. I'm sure as usual wikipedia will provide the answers.

Yeah, thats what I was trying to find out. Which east india company was ment by it, pretty much every european country had one! Dutch was most well known, English was second in line.

Are ok, Im taking about the East india company troops from the film, i clearly stated in 1st post. Anyone got a good screenshots of them?

what film? still don't know which one you mean :-/

The Dutch the best known of the East India Companies? Well if you're Dutch I suppose X-D

That was my argument. Personally I learnt about the Dutch one first but I'd imagine the British East India Company was larger in the long run. Even Sweden had an East India Company, don't remember seeing a New Stockholm anywhere in the colonies. :-P

Actual EIC uniforms looked nothing like they do in that movie. In reality, they didn't differ significantly from regular British uniforms, aside from a few modifications to help the soldiers cope with foreign climates.

Actual EIC uniforms looked nothing like they do in that movie. In reality, they didn't differ significantly from regular British uniforms, aside from a few modifications to help the soldiers cope with foreign climates.

Makes sense to me...

The Dutch the best known of the East India Companies? Well if you're Dutch I suppose X-D

That was my argument. Personally I learnt about the Dutch one first but I'd imagine the British East India Company was larger in the long run. Even Sweden had an East India Company, don't remember seeing a New Stockholm anywhere in the colonies. :-P

Brittish was large yeah, but were not feared and the ships themselfs were not as good as the Dutch ships. Only after the golden age practicly was gone the Brittish took the lead. Sweden's history i don't know, except teh fact that they had a part of the East coast of America aswell.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Lukemax/Pirate/eastind.bmp

Torso above and feedback would be great.

Thanks

Lukemax

eastind.bmp_thumb.jpg

Looks really cool and accurate *y*

the only problem i could see is that there's too much detail X-D

Is this torso design in the index?

P

Edited by phred

Brittish was large yeah, but were not feared and the ships themselfs were not as good as the Dutch ships. Only after the golden age practicly was gone the Brittish took the lead. Sweden's history i don't know, except teh fact that they had a part of the East coast of America aswell.

Well in many ways The British Empire collided and overpowered the Dutch colonies and trade routes given the stiff competition amoungst the western europeans and it's largely on the Dutch concessions from the Anglo-Dutch wars that Britain's wealth was based much as you have suggested. For example - the Cape Colony.

I tend to see Holland much on the same wavelength as Portugal - very prominent at the time of the 'Golden Age' but notably weakened by the mid 1700's, whereupon the resources and manpower of Spain, France and Great Britain begin to outweigh Holland and Portugal. In many ways this highlights historical emphasis on the 'two British empires' given when it was simply England it's power and influence was limited largely to the 13 colonies and some presence in the Carribean and it's not until the formation of Great Britain that the proper 'British Empire' kicks off. I think another reason for the considerable success of Britain to have become the largest and wealthiest of all the empires lies in it's diplomatic relationship with Portugal and Holland. England or Great Britain and Spain form a triangular power struggle and England was able to maintain an alliance that goes back to 1373 with Portugal which is now recorded as the world's longest standing alliance in history. Added to this when England wasn't at war with Holland it was allied owing to the Elizabethan support for the Protestant Dutch Republic and it's continual struggles with Happsberg Catholic Europe, not to mention Louis XIV of France (The Sun King).

Here's a link you might find useful... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Dutch_Wars

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had come up with any East India Company Troops? from the POTC films?, or knew of any Template torsos to use?,

On that note i also am wondering if the troops used in the films were real or not?, Is that how the real East India company dressed there troops? I cant find any reference photos

Thx

Lukemax

I'm not sure and I'd be pleased to know if anyone does know, but I don't think the East India Co. had troops. I think it was more a case of the royal navy commandeering their ships and placing their own men on the ships. As for the torsos, I'm sure you will find something simmilar in the torso library. In the POTC movies, I think they just used the costumes of the English redcoats for the East India Co. troops.

Hope that that is helpful as these be the last friendly words ye hear....

I'm not sure and I'd be pleased to know if anyone does know, but I don't think the East India Co. had troops. I think it was more a case of the royal navy commandeering their ships and placing their own men on the ships. As for the torsos, I'm sure you will find something simmilar in the torso library. In the POTC movies, I think they just used the costumes of the English redcoats for the East India Co. troops.

Hope that that is helpful as these be the last friendly words ye hear....

I'm sure you're right, in the end of the day the East India Company is a private venture with shareholders and investers and whilst it may have had government contracts and thus the support of the military it wasn't in itself a government inituitive, or was it?

I tend to find a lot of settlements and colonies and trading, particularly regarding Britain was mostly private initutives at first and the government only got involved with supporting some of these settlements when the taxman saw there was money to be made... |-/