BrickOn

[Cor FB2 - Ship] Jezebel

The dolphins were racing her, jumping to and fro in the jewel-like water, but even they were not fast enough to keep up for long...

Introducing my first ship, intended to be Cutter (F2) and sailed by Sir James and his crew.

25017501782_4d9dc8993e_z.jpgJezebel, on Flickr

24515479954_5c8dabfa01_z.jpgAViewOfJezzy, on Flickr

25146165945_88a9a78364_z.jpgJezzy, on Flickr

25146164985_e072829496_z.jpgShipJezebel, on Flickr

24778555789_301bdac664_z.jpgJezFromBehind], on Flickr

It is my first attempt at making my own sails, so feedback on those appreciated (I wasn't really measuring so I had to slightly rethink their arrangement at the front).

Edit: Updated the photos, more on flickr.

Edited by BrickOn

Cheers. I've updated the photos since we've had a good 20 minutes of sunshine today, hopefully a little better.

Nice cutter. I like your work on the hull and the rigging looks nice except for the gaff sail whose lower boom seems to have come loose. She looks like a quick and capable vessel.

Nice looking vessel, BrickOn. It is good to see the shipyards of Corrington pushing out all these fine vessels! Rule, Corrington, Corrington rule the waves! :pir_laugh2:

Especially if this is your first time experimenting with rigging, I am very impressed! The colour and texture of those sails is looking great - how did you make them, and of what? :pir-blush:

I would, however, suggest measuring next time :pir-wink:

A few comments on the proportions of the rigging:

The bowsprit looks very large for the height of the mast (probably more due to a stubby mast than a long bowsprit). This also gives the forestays and thus the jibs a strange angle, and puts the square sail placement sort of off too.The (spanker) mainsail is very long, and protrudes over the stern of the vessel. I think she would be rather hard to handle, as the wind pressure will be apt to turn her round.

I would suggest the following (which you should be able to do while reusing the current sails). Transform her from a cutter to a sloop, like so:

1) Move the mast forward far enough for the mainsail boom not to overreach the stern of the vessel.

2) Increase the mastheight by 25-30 % and lower the bowsprit to almost horisontal. This should allow you to reuse the jibs.

3) Raise the square sail with the mast, so that it is more or less completely above the mainsail. (And possibly, lower the mainsail by as much as you can, without hitting the helmsman.)

That way, I think you will find she looks much more natural, realistic, and balanced. :pir-sweet:

I think it would be relatively easy to do, and you have a great starting point with her current state.

The hull looks good too, although for a cutter, the tall prefabs does make her look pretty bulky. I like the use of custom cannons, and I think the railing is good too.

You might have achieved a more balanced look by building closer to the waterline, rather than giving her sort of a deck on height with the top of the prefabs, but then she wouldn't look as spacious and seaworthy as she does! I am undecided on this, and a change in rigging might make up the balance.

Well, that was a lot of words - I think you did a great job, and I hope you can use the feedback! :pir-blush:

Impressive sails and rigging (After having attempted it for the first time I now have an newfound respect for how difficult it its!) A very nice vessel indeed.

Thanks for the feedback :-)

Bregir you comments are really useful, I think I will try to make the changes you suggest.I knew the mast placements were not right but couldn't find the right way of fixing it. A second pass at doing this with the guidance you've given will hopefully prove more fruitful (I'll probably make the updates for next month now).

To answer your question about the sails, they sails were made from one of those cloth shopping bags. I'd actually found it while tidying up a few days prior to making the ship and something inside my head clicked and went... "these are sails". From there it was just a case of cutting out (I use a roller knife on a gridded cutting board, makes it much quicker) and then pressing some seems (folding the edges twice to avoid visible raw edges, and running them through a sewing machine. Actually with the cloth, the key to getting a good finish is just ironing everything at every stage of the making process, everything stays together much better and looks better, that way very minimal sewing skills are required.