Peppermint_M

LEGO Ninjago 2017 Discussion

1 hour ago, LegoShroom said:

Another image of the Lloyd minifigure- this time you can get a better look at the new sword.

-snip-

Looks great and it's way more refined than the scimitar that we already have.

1 hour ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

With the fatter blade and tassles, looks like a Kung Fu sword rather than ninja sword. I wonder if the ninja hood is two pieces.

A bit of Googling reveals that it is called an oxtail saber (niuweidao), a type of Chinese broadsword. The ninja hood will be a dual moulded single piece, for sure. 

The street scene, bridge and temple all sound really interesting. :classic:

The name of the sword is dao ... just a generic single-edged Chinese Broadsword usually seen in kungfu movies and wushu competitions.

Ninja wielding Chinese broadsword. I know LEGO  & WB has a lot of creative freedom but it's just hard to process to someone familiar with the weapons. Uggh! :wacko:

2 hours ago, makoy said:

The name of the sword is dao ... just a generic single-edged Chinese Broadsword usually seen in kungfu movies and wushu competitions.

Ninja wielding Chinese broadsword. I know LEGO  & WB has a lot of creative freedom but it's just hard to process to someone familiar with the weapons. Uggh! :wacko:

While I agree, I am glad to see Lego add a Dao to their lineup of molds, and hope it means some kind of Chinese Warrior is on the cards for a future CMF line.

Didn't know about the new sword, that's awesome! The figures look good, but I'm not sure about the hoods. They just look too rounded to me compared to the traditional Ninjago hoods. I think I'll save up for the big sets like the temple and Destiny's Bounty, but I probably won't be able to get them until summer 2018 because the Infinity War sets will bankrupt me. Do we know of any $100+ sets are rumored to come in wave 2? 

36 minutes ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Didn't know about the new sword, that's awesome! The figures look good, but I'm not sure about the hoods. They just look too rounded to me compared to the traditional Ninjago hoods. I think I'll save up for the big sets like the temple and Destiny's Bounty, but I probably won't be able to get them until summer 2018 because the Infinity War sets will bankrupt me. Do we know of any $100+ sets are rumored to come in wave 2? 

Lego Ninjago Movie sets are coming in August 2017, Infinity War sets are coming in March 2018.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN
Grammar

34 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Lego Ninjago Movie sets are coming in August 2017, Infinity War sets are coming in March 2018.

She/he's probably saving up for the infinity war sets until March 2018. Then after buying them, she/he'll get the ninjago sets which will have been out for a while and hence will have depreciated in price.

1 hour ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

I like the new ninja hoods. Feels much more 'ninja-like' to me. I love the Lloyd figure in general.

37 minutes ago, LegoShroom said:

She/he's probably saving up for the infinity war sets until March 2018. Then after buying them, she/he'll get the ninjago sets which will have been out for a while and hence will have depreciated in price.

7 months without Lego Ninjago Movie sets? 

42 minutes ago, LegoShroom said:

I like the new ninja hoods. Feels much more 'ninja-like' to me. I love the Lloyd figure in general.

Yeah, I've kinda maxed out my Lego budget for 2017 after getting the Disney Castle and Silent Mary, along with LBM and Marvel sets. Just gonna pick up Thor sets and then I'm done, so I won't be able to get the Ninjago Movie ones. Plus I'd rather see the movie before buying the sets because I'm not 100% sure I'll like the film. It just doesn't feel like traditional Ninjago to me, but I think my feelings will change once we see more of the movie. The sets do look great and the designs of the figures are very nice. I think I'll like the hoods better in person- a lot of the time, Lego figures/builds I dislike are far more likeable when I actually have them. I hope the rest of the sets will be revealed by June! 

Edited by GoldenNinja3000

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

7 months without Lego Ninjago Movie sets? 

Considering the fact that SW The Last Jedi sets are coming out September 1 , a month after Ninjago Movie sets , many people myself included would rather save some money till September for SW sets. 

2 hours ago, GoldenNinja3000 said:

Yeah, I've kinda maxed out my Lego budget for 2017 after getting the Disney Castle and Silent Mary, along with LBM and Marvel sets.

I am insanely envious of your Lego budget.

16 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

Considering the fact that SW The Last Jedi sets are coming out September 1 , a month after Ninjago Movie sets , many people myself included would rather save some money till September for SW sets. 

I am saving for The Last Jedi sets too, but I will buy small set or two, I have to have Lord Garmadon and Jay.

Not really interested in Star wars so most of my Summer budget will go towards a few of the summer LBM sets and then mostly this. I'll probably try to wait for a good deal or two first before getting the ninjago sets. For now, I've got to finish off getting the last few sets (that I want) from TLBM. Even so, I'll probably only pick up the builds that I like from TLNM, as this wave is ridiculously expensive.

Is anyone aware that the UK is getting TLNM 3 weeks later than the rest of the world? It totally stinks. Hopefully we'll get the sets on time.

Edited by LegoShroom

Shall probably wait until Christmas sales for the Ninjago movie sets, as it seems that a considerable amount of them are going to be expensive. Lucky i dont collect the Star Wars theme so while i may end up getting a set or two if they are well designed or have cool pieces i should be able to save until Infinity War - as long as Lego does not bring out another Big Bang theme for 2018...

22 hours ago, LegoShroom said:

Is anyone aware that the UK is getting TLNM 3 weeks later than the rest of the world? It totally stinks. Hopefully we'll get the sets on time.

I've only found IMDB to be stating this, but it'd suck if its true. I dont think many would wait that long and they would probably catch the movie via other methods in order to see it before spoilers/as soon as possible.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3014284/releaseinfo

19 minutes ago, Scarilian said:

I've only found IMDB to be stating this, but it'd suck if its true. I dont think many would wait that long and they would probably catch the movie via other methods in order to see it before spoilers/as soon as possible.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3014284/releaseinfo

It's on WarnerBros official website;

https://www.warnerbros.co.uk/movies/the-lego-ninjago-movie

2 hours ago, LegoShroom said:

It's on WarnerBros official website;

https://www.warnerbros.co.uk/movies/the-lego-ninjago-movie

Ah, thanks - google'd the release date and only IMDB showed up at the time .

Yeah... not sure why Lego did it.

Just ends up meaning i and others probably will end up catching the movie online out of curiosity before it recieves the UK release.

On 4/12/2017 at 5:35 PM, BubbaFit45531 said:

I'd like a really long Japanese sword like in Final Fantasy VII that Sephiroth had.

The swords that Lego uses are already nearly the size of a minifigure... I'd actually want Lego to make a sword mold that's more similar to what Acronix used in episode 1, or maybe smaller, since Lloyd's weapon looks to be about that size. Maybe something like a wakizashi...

On 4/13/2017 at 6:35 AM, BubbaFit45531 said:

I'm pretty sure "dao" is the word for any sword or knife.

I'd like a really long Japanese sword like in Final Fantasy VII that Sephiroth had.

Dao is not just any sword or knife... it's what you will call a generic single-edged chinese sword.

Maybe WB did this to sell the movie in China because China needs some "cultural impact" in the movie so that it can be shown locally. Then, as a result it carries forward to the actual set design. It's only my speculation as it could be designed by the LEGO designers first then carried forward to the movie. However, I really think the movie needs to sell well in China so the swords have these chinese characteristics.

Just look at the number of Japanese sword designs available. The designers have not exhausted all these yet so choosing a chinese design is very odd-- 
37cb026807fe8c2d469b9659ca91090f.jpg

Hope that we get a better view of the sets soon.

6 minutes ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

If you Google "chinese word for knife", dao comes up.

I've watched many kung fu movies with subtitles.

I used to watch local Wushu competition and they have different names for different  weapons.

For your reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighteen_Arms_of_Wushu

Dao is just a sword (literal translation) but it's inferred as a single-edge sword because a double edge sword is commonly called jian.

Ok, someone who is natively Chinese should be able to explain this further but let's not get off-topic. :)

1 hour ago, makoy said:

Dao is just a sword (literal translation) but it's inferred as a single-edge sword because a double edge sword is commonly called jian.

Ok, someone who is natively Chinese should be able to explain this further but let's not get off-topic. :)

Dao means knife. Jian means sword. Basically.

Anyway, hope to see all the sets soon. Around when should we expect to get images?

True, sword discussion is a little off topic to the point it has gone to.

So, it is a new sword mould and we'll get to ID it a little better once we have it (I know I plan to compare it to my reference books.). 

18 hours ago, Scarilian said:

Ah, thanks - google'd the release date and only IMDB showed up at the time .

Yeah... not sure why Lego did it.

Just ends up meaning i and others probably will end up catching the movie online out of curiosity before it recieves the UK release.

Because it ties in with the October half term break, so the target demographic will be on holidays. 

It's common practice for major studios to delay child friendly movies until this date, I remember UP came out in the US in early 2009 but only came out in October of that year for the same reason.

On 12 April 2017 at 9:42 PM, LegoShroom said:

Not really interested in Star wars so most of my Summer budget will go towards a few of the summer LBM sets and then mostly this. I'll probably try to wait for a good deal or two first before getting the ninjago sets. For now, I've got to finish off getting the last few sets (that I want) from TLBM. Even so, I'll probably only pick up the builds that I like from TLNM, as this wave is ridiculously expensive.

Sucks for UK as well they have to wait until January to get winter sets whereas America gets all the exclusive minifigures and free build and takeaway sets and all the sets before UK. Totally unfair! I feel sorry for the British, I sure do hope some villains are in the CMF line, not in the expensive sets as I don't buy any big sets and now that the TLNM line is quite expensive I think my wallet can take a breather (for once)