Sign in to follow this  
Exetrius

[The Frozen Beyond - Cat. B] Nemesis of the Frozen Beyond

Nemesis of the Frozen Beyond

Warning: this backstory might clash with the canon of the Frozen Beyond. If so, I'm sorry!

Long time ago, the Algus were a peaceful race with their own civilization. The area they inhabited, now known as the Frozen Beyond, was less frigid as it is today. But one day, an Algus wizard named Garufust, created a being which had the power to absorb energy of mana crystals by eating them. Once he could keep the creature alive, he began feeding it with meat and crystals, consequently growing bigger and stronger rapidly.

Its demand for meat and enriched crystals soon became unmanageable for the wizard to gather. That was when he made a second big discovery: rune crystals that convert heat into arcane energy, mana. They could be grown inside the body of an Algus once implanted, as well as growing inside the generations to follow. This discovery lead him to imprison a number of other Algus, which he would use as live-stock for the creature's needs. However, these escaped after being implanted with the special crystals...

In the decades that followed, the Frozen beyond became colder and colder, as the number of 'hybrid' Algus increased. The creature, which suffered from malnutrition ever since the prisoner escape, turned into a dormant state. After a very long slumber, the creature awoke, with a massive appetite! In all those years, the Frozen Beyond had become a hunting ground full of hybrids! Hundreds of Algus have been devoured by it. With every one of them, it grew bigger and more powerful.

It did not last long until its existence become known throughout the entire Frozen Beyond, fearfully being called "Nemesis of the Beyond". As a result, whole waves of Algus fled to the other regions of Historica, in the hope to escape the beast that is hunting them, ruled by its creator...

24118165883_39479b5811_c.jpg

24718803116_b7e62824da_z.jpg

24116834504_b8a9df6393_z.jpg

I am glad I made it! Pictures are hasty and unedited, maybe I can do that later, but at the moment, I want to sleep! I started this build from scratch in the afternoon yesterday (Dutch time) and worked on it straight through the night up to now, so yeaahh..... I'm tired! Anyway, I am super happy with the result and I hope to take clearer pics later. More pictures to be found here!

EDIT:

I realized the quality of the images above is actually quite alright, this is a hard one to photograph in its full glory :sceptic:

Nevertheless, a few extra shots:

24128792214_55d559d372_z.jpg

Full speed mode engaged!

24730740486_7fb33e021e_z.jpg

About to take a nosedive.

24461412090_4a12bfa0b8_z.jpg

Every self-respecting flying creature master rides in style, in a comfortable cabin. And though 'Nemesis' may be strong, Garufust always brings his heavy-duty weapons.

24757015475_2ddaa9637a_z.jpg

Two legends... in serious mode! (this is just a bonus, not part of the entry)

C&C is greatly appreciated! :classic:

Edited by Exetrius

Great beast! I really like the cabin on it's back, and the overall look! :thumbup:

Wow, very nice dragon here Exetrius, the trans-blue and trans-light green accents are really cool and your story is quite intriguing as well, even if it doesn't actually work with the Frozen Beyond backstory (I'm not sure myself whether it would be possible to add in or not...), and adds a new dimension to the whole Algus thing! :classic:

Great job getting it built so fast too, though I certainly wouldn't have done that myself! :laugh::wink:

Added new pictures and the wizard is no longer nameless!

Great beast! I really like the cabin on it's back, and the overall look! :thumbup:

Thank you! I actually started this build with the cabin, in order to get a proper sense of the scale that I wanted the final creature to be. The idea alone of making a beast large enough to support a cabin excited me very much. :classic:

Wow, very nice dragon here Exetrius, the trans-blue and trans-light green accents are really cool and your story is quite intriguing as well, even if it doesn't actually work with the Frozen Beyond backstory (I'm not sure myself whether it would be possible to add in or not...), and adds a new dimension to the whole Algus thing! :classic:

Great job getting it built so fast too, though I certainly wouldn't have done that myself! :laugh::wink:

Thanks, Garmadon! I certainly like things that are a little different. I didn't want my creature to be all white with trans light blue, so I added black and trans/spring light green for extra contrast. For me, it works as being a creature of the Frozen Beyond.

I wanted to shine a light on the the Algus business from a different angle, but in case my story does not fit into the saga canon, I consider this to be a legendary beast ridden by an Algus general.

Oh, and I do not recommend doing this if you have more people living around you, they will think you are out of your mind for working from sunset to sunrise :wink: Next time, I should start earlier! :grin:

Nice beastie, good use of those Ninjago/Chima pieces.

Cool beast!

Very nice dragon! But where did you get the helmet for it's rider?

Thank you all! :classic:

@The Steward the helmet is from Nexo Knights, it's the Ash Attacker's. This theme also provided the eyes: two crossbow bolts from the Ultimate Aaron set, as well as that book, shield and Onicius' shoulder pads.

Fun fact: Onicius plus Garufust alone use parts from 20 different sets!

Edited by Exetrius

Superb dragon! The shaping is very nice and I really like the little cabin too :thumbup:

The rocky base was a good touch as well :classic:

Superb dragon! The shaping is very nice and I really like the little cabin too :thumbup:

The rocky base was a good touch as well :classic:

Thanks, John!

On a side note, I don't understand why I'm getting so little feedback (6 replies up to this point) on this. I really appreciate the feedback I did get, but it's unusual for a big contest entry to gets so little comments, that I'm starting to feel there must be something inherently wrong with it. :look: Is it entirely inappropriate for the contest, maybe?

Please, any extra tips or tops would be greatly appreciated!

Quite an impressive dragon! The saddle/cabin on it's back fits nicely and looks really cool :thumbup: And I like your use of black and the glow in the dark green here :classic:

That is one awesome dragon. Every part fits perfectly, especially on the head. I love the eyes. And cheers for using the back of the head in combination with the helmet on the minifigure (if I see correctly). Because of the helmet it really looks like a face and not like tattooes anymore.

Quite an impressive dragon! The saddle/cabin on it's back fits nicely and looks really cool :thumbup: And I like your use of black and the glow in the dark green here :classic:

Thanks! :classic:

That is one awesome dragon. Every part fits perfectly, especially on the head. I love the eyes. And cheers for using the back of the head in combination with the helmet on the minifigure (if I see correctly). Because of the helmet it really looks like a face and not like tattooes anymore.

You are indeed correct about the head. From the beginning, I have found the tattoo far cooler as a face (or some magic face seal) than the bear one. And thank you, the head was great fun to do!

Great dragon!

Thank you!

(Actually, I'm not sure if this would actually qualify as a dragon; it has front arms/legs separate from the wings, but no rear legs, only a tail. Maybe some fantasy-creature-taxonomists could help me on this? :laugh:)