Kai NRG

Merchant's Colonial Trading Company - General Discussion

Welcome to the Merchant’s Colonial Trading Company Discussion Topic! Here’s where members sign up, organize transactions, vote on expenditures, and more. Of course certain strategic discussions are kept private, but if you have any questions about the MCTC or the relative parts of the EGS, feel free to ask below!

What is the MCTC?

The Merchant’s Colonial Trading Company – often abbreviated MCTC – is a chartered and recognized Eslandian Trading Company. Founded by Captain Wynd of Eslandola, the company started out as a small alternative to the East Trade-Wind Company’s red tape. After Captain Wynd’s death, his son Guy K. Wyndzon inherited the position of leadership. With the help of his wealthy Uncle, Guy has led the MCTC from a small no-name band of merchants and explorers into a booming trade company. Mostly, the MCTC has focused on colonization. Recently, Guy has stepped down in favor of Governor Guilder, who has big plans to continue expansion and to extend MCTC influence into the Colonial Council.

Why should I join the MCTC?

Join the MCTC because we're awesome. Because although we’re the underdog, we're rising. Because we're going to rule the Eslandian Seas... and all the other seas, for that matter. And don’t forget that the MCTC colors – black and green – are ever so much cooler than, well, any other colors except purple.

Or, if you’re just looking for practical reasons – the MCTC holds monopolies on cotton plantations, textile factories, and iron mines. These monopolies translate into in-game economic benefits. The MCTC can provide protection to your property and pull strings if you want to land a position as mayor or civil servant, or even a member of Eslandola’s High Council, if you show that kind of commitment! Plus, the MCTC provides a great setting for you to engage in the Monthly Commerce and Raiding Action along with like-minded Eslandian traders.

MCTC Role Call: 
@Capt Wolf - Philip "Pip" Janszen - MCTC Leader

@Aventador - Kenway Cuervo
@Elostirion - Román Esteban Fontonajo
@Kai NRG - Guy Wyndzon - Former MCTC Leader
@Phadeout - Alejandro de la Calle
@Sir Iron - Francisco Iron of Ironia
@Sir Stig - Victor Servadac
@Stash2Sixx - Atticus Cuervo
@Tiddlymouthwash - Jim Cuervo
@Tuben - Ulrich von Koehler
@Umbra-Manis - Revon de Crocodil

MCTC Settlements:

Name: Bardo
Ownership: MCTC
Mayor: Colonel Oystrigde - @Sir Stig
Who can own property in Bardo: Any MCTC member.
Who can freebuild in Bardo: Anyone.
Bardo Thread

Name: Chiquita
Mayor: TBD
Who can own property in Chiquita: Any MCTC member.
Who can freebuild in Chiquita: Anyone.
Chiquita Thread

Name: Salida Este
Mayor: @Umbra-Manis
Who can own property in Salida Este: Anyone, from any faction.
Who can freebuild in Salida Este: Anyone, from any faction.
Salida Este Thread

Name: Weelond
Mayor: Willem Guilder - @Capt Wolf
Who can own property in Weelond: Any MCTC member.
Who can freebuild in Weelond: Anyone.
Weelond Thread

MCTC Monopolies:

Cotton Plantations – If a MCTC member licenses a cotton plantation, he/she will receive a 150% return.

Textile Factories – If a MCTC member licenses a textile factory, he/she will receive a 150% return.

Iron Mines – If a MCTC member discovers and licenses an iron mine, he/she will receive a 175% return.

MCTC Assets:

Heart of Eslandia, Ship, Captured, (Terms)

Prince Fernando, Ship, Sunk, (Terms)

Prince Fernando II, Ship

Shares:
MCTC________50100%
Capt Wolf_____50%

Jon El Flurry, Ship

Cotton Lady, Ship, Sunk (sistership pending)

Holder's Secret, Ship

Augustinian Colonial Textile (ACT), Factory, (Terms)

Dividends eliminated after revenue reduction

Shares:______________________Monthly
Garmadon (ETWC)____1________20 DBs
Sir Stig______________5_______100 DBs
Phadeout____________3________60 DBs
Capt Wolf____________4________80 DBs
Umbra-Manis_________1________20 DBs
Kai NRG_____________5_______100 DBs
Elostirion____________10_______200 DBs____Note: One of these is "builder's share."
Stash2Sixx___________1________20 DBs

Royal Cotton Plantation (RCP), (Terms)

Dividends eliminated after revenue reduction

Shares:______________________Monthly
Sir Stig______________5_______100 DBs
Phadeout____________5_______100 DBs
Capt Wolf____________5_______100 DBs
Umbra-Manis________22________40 DBs
Kai NRG_____________6_______120 DBs
Elostirion________`____6_______120 DBs
Stash2Sixx___________1________20 DBs

MCTC Finances:

Monthly Income_______Qty_____________________$$
Settlements___________4______________________40
Licenses____________Varies__________________Varies
Share in PF__________40%___________________Varies
ACT_______________________________________150
RCP_______________________________________150

Expenses______________Frequency______________$$
Mayor Salaries___________Monthly_______________31
Charter Fee_____________Monthly_______________50

Bank Account Balance = see current account sheet

Current MCTC Activities:

New info coming soon

First order of business:

Who is interested in pitching in to buy MCTC a share in the Sulky Harlequin? Right now I estimate that would be about 10 DBs each (total is 45), if at least 4 of us participate. I would be willing to foot the 15, so we would need at least 3 others of you.

Profits would go to MCTC coffers, but sometime down the road MCTC would try to repay you (but not right away, because that would make the whole thing kind of worthless!).

Edit: Since there is only one share left, Whoops, jumped the gun there. Whatever - I have bought it out of my own pocket and am willing to stand behind that if the rest of you aren't interested in the bargain (but if course, profits would go to me in that case, not to MCTC!)

Second order of business:

We need enough DBs to pay off our charter fee this month - we have 1 license so far, we need at least 2 more, in any MCTC settlement. (Well, we also have my small residence, but that's not going to bring in much.)

Edited by Kai NRG

I have bought it out of my own pocket and am willing to stand behind that if the rest of you aren't interested in the bargain (but if course, profits would go to me in that case, not to MCTC!)

I'll put in 10db. Is there a form I need to fill out, or do you take care of that?

Second order of business:

We need enough DBs to pay off our charter fee this month - we have 1 license so far, we need at least 2 more, in any MCTC settlement. (Well, we also have my small residence, but that's not going to bring in much.)

I'll be licensing one small residence as soon as my bricklink order arrives this week. If I had it to do over, I'd license my mill in one of the MCTC settlements rather than Nova Terreli. I jumped in too quick with that one before I understood the implications.

How much is our monthly charter fee?

How much is our monthly charter fee?

Doh! I see from the chart in the first post it's 50db a month. I should really learn to read.

Just hold onto it guys until the total has been met and then I'll have you fill out the transfer form to Mike S.

I'll put in 10db. Is there a form I need to fill out, or do you take care of that? ...

I'll throw 10 DB in for the share in the Sulky.

Alright, whenever the two of you are able go ahead and use the transaction form to pay Mike S. Please let me know once you've done it!

And I have just transferred the remaining 15 - so we're good!

Kai NRG, I posted this question in the overall BoBS intro thread, but I'll ask it here as well, hoping you might know the answer. Is there any way we can confirm that licenses we've submitted have gone through ok and see our individual current ledgers?

Kai NRG, I posted this question in the overall BoBS intro thread, but I'll ask it here as well, hoping you might know the answer. Is there any way we can confirm that licenses we've submitted have gone through ok and see our individual current ledgers?

Unfortunately, as far as I know, no. You can see how many free-builds you've submitted but not much else, from what I can tell.

FYI, I just posted my free build of the MCTC warehouse in Weelond. I'd like to encourage other MCTC members to build in Weelond this month if possible.

Good work this month guys - our current account balance is 22 DB. (Okay, so that's not such a tremendous amount. But it's a good start!)

A quick note to all MCTC members: as mayor of Weelond, I'm offering a rebate for properties built and licensed in Weelond this month. The next two properties licensed in Weelond in February by MCTC members who have not previously built in Weelond will get 2db back (from me). Additionally, at the end of the month, I'll award an extra 3db to the best non-residential property licensed in Weelond. Next month I'll do something like this open to all BoBS players, but I wanted to encourage MCTC members to build in Weelond this month!

A quick note to all MCTC members: as mayor of Weelond, I'm offering a rebate for properties built and licensed in Weelond this month. The next two properties licensed in Weelond in February by MCTC members who have not previously built in Weelond will get 2db back (from me). Additionally, at the end of the month, I'll award an extra 3db to the best non-residential property licensed in Weelond. Next month I'll do something like this open to all BoBS players, but I wanted to encourage MCTC members to build in Weelond this month!

Great initiative, Cpt. Wolf!

Great initiative, Cpt. Wolf!

Thanks Bregir! I just figured it made sense to use the mayor's salary as an investment tool of sorts. Hopefully it works.

MCTC members gather round for our first venture!

Come March 616, we will (try) to license our very first MCTC sponsored trading vessel, the Heart of Eslandia! (Thanks to Capt Wolf for his generosity in building the ship!)

• Shares are 25 DB each. Each share brings in 5% of the profit. (The extra goes to MCTC in return for insurance; see below.)
  • There are sixteen shares.
  • MCTC will buy at least five shares; as much as possible, it will pay for these out of its own coffers, but it will also need loans from some of its members. These loans will, of course, be repaid (est. within 5 months; no promises!). Let us know if you are willing to advance 15 DB.
  • MCTC members can buy as many shares as they please; first come first serve. Application begins Mar. 1.
  • @Capt Wolf has the right to buy out other member's shares whenever he so desires for their initial price of 25 DB.
  • MCTC will provide insurance. 20 DBs per share if sunk by weather, 15 DBs if sunk by an enemy, 10 DBs if captured.
  • Insurance involves paperwork. MCTC has a 4 month window in which to pay up (in case we need some time to get the DBs together!).

Feel free to ask any questions below.

When applying, please provide proof that you will have the DBs necessary for a share(s) by the end of March.

It looks like the February shipping efforts were good to us. I'm officially in for two shares of the Heart of Eslandia.

Román Esteban Fontonajo knows good business when he sees it. I am officially in with two shares for now.

(I might be able to buy a third one, we will see)

I half expect Maestro and Coyle shipping co to buy shares in this through devious schemes of strawmen and holding companies! :D :P

Might one suggest a thorough background check of your investors?!? ;)

Does look like a very nice idea with the insurance, although I would suggest turning to an independent insurance company for spreading the risk further. (My little birds tell me that there is something underway...)

I am going to steal some inspiration from your prospect!

I half expect Maestro and Coyle shipping co to buy shares in this through devious schemes of strawmen and holding companies! :D :P

Might one suggest a thorough background check of your investors?!? ;)

Does look like a very nice idea with the insurance, although I would suggest turning to an independent insurance company for spreading the risk further. (My little birds tell me that there is something underway...)

I am going to steal some inspiration from your prospect!

Ah, you can read our mind? Great birds you've got! :laugh:

I am up for two shares, maybe 1 or 2 more. I have to wait and see what my funds look like, when it gets updated, to see how many more I may take. Either way, I am willing to lend 15 dbs if needed.

I'm good for the money.

Hi guys,

I was looking through the list of ships and saw that there at least I'd been signed up to the MCTC! Obviously a mistake but I thought I'd have a look at the various groups a bit more and decided I would like to join up if you'll have me. I want to keep myself in Nova Terreli at the moment as I've started my story there and will probably work on building my holdings up there for another month or three. The monopolies and similar don't have to be built on MCTC land do they? I had planned to get a large cotton plantation up and was looking forward to all those extra DBs. If that all pans out I'll be on earnings of at least 50DBs a month even if I don't build or MCRA (which I will) so hopefully I'll be able to dive in on all your ventures after that.

So - permission to come aboard? pirate_satisfied.gif