LiLmeFromDaFuture

[MOC] [WIP] The Command of the AT-AT

I am loving this! When do you think you will be nearing completion?

Honestly LEGODrongo01, I am unsure when will that be. I have mentioned that this MOC of mine has been concepted and worked on since 2012, but I have not worked on it so intensely until now, so I believe this year! Currently, I am redesigning and rescaling the whole walker, ever since I restructured and detailed the legs from what I originally designed.

However until the walker's day of arrival, follow up this topic, as I post new updates rather frequently!

Honestly LEGODrongo01, I am unsure when will that be. I have mentioned that this MOC of mine has been concepted and worked on since 2012, but I have not worked on it so intensely until now, so I believe this year! Currently, I am redesigning and rescaling the whole walker, ever since I restructured and detailed the legs from what I originally designed.

However until the walker's day of arrival, follow up this topic, as I post new updates rather frequently!

Great! Cant wait to see how it looks on that amazing head!

Enjoy the renders until I order pieces to build these components!

Previously I have not shown the underside of the foot before, but here it is redesigned with consideration to details featured in this section, than from what I had before:

24381898520_b9ebaff5f5_c.jpg

Next here are renders of the legs:

24309776419_26ff088a3a_c.jpg

24049287484_a5c2960d7d_c.jpg

24050641703_640c769f23_c.jpg

As everyone else has said stunning level of detail. Myself I would be concerned of running out of pieces after that point lol. I can't imagine how much a pain it's going to be to build some sort of super structure in order to keep it stable.

As everyone else has said stunning level of detail. Myself I would be concerned of running out of pieces after that point lol. I can't imagine how much a pain it's going to be to build some sort of super structure in order to keep it stable.

Much appreciated Forresto! I suppose it will have a total piece count around 7000+ pieces; most which I will have to acquire. Yeah the superstructure is certainly going to be an adventure—I can't wait to start :laugh:. The hips and shoulders will be fixed in a desired position and designed on Technic turntables, so it will significantly reduce wobbling at those points of articulation (as other experienced builders has enlightened).

This is brilliant, especially the use of the triangle parts at the front! Gives me a nostalgic flashback to my old Hasbro Walker toy, though yours probably has superior proportions. :classic:

This is brilliant, especially the use of the triangle parts at the front! Gives me a nostalgic flashback to my old Hasbro Walker toy, though yours probably has superior proportions. :classic:

Much appreciated—I am even endeavoring to achieve more accurate proportions!

Incredible design! I love the progress so far. I can't even imagine the amount of work that has gone into this so far. I'm excited to see how it progresses. Keep up the great work!

Edited by ZackSchnepf

Incredible design! I love the progress so far. I can't even imagine the amount of work that has gone into this so far. I'm excited to see how it progresses. Keep up the great work!

Thanks ZackSchnepf—it has almost been four years in the making!

Thanks ZackSchnepf—it has almost been four years in the making!

Wow, it takes quite some persistance to hold on to a project like this for such a long time. I don't think I'd have the patience to work on something this long.

I saw your great AT-ST WIP and Snowspeeder too. Are you planning to build some big Hoth Display with all of these? :sweet:

Very nice AT-AT head!!!

I have only one complaint, and that's that the neck seems to be a bit long...

Otherwise pretty darn good and very nice snowspeeder as well

Very nice AT-AT head!!!

I have only one complaint, and that's that the neck seems to be a bit long...

Otherwise pretty darn good and very nice snowspeeder as well

Thanks strider117! The neck is only so long so it could stand upright as I photograph it. Particularly in this photo below the head is actually standing on its neck and the photo turned counterclockwise. In this manner shadows have been eliminated from being cast by the underside of the head.

22361581686_c3a1874814_z.jpg

22199584620_5ee4991c8f_z.jpg

Seeing pictures of this beauty is just continually impressive. This is where the AT AT is at!

Much appreciated Forresto! Ever since I have been redesigning, rescaling the legs and body, I am beginning to believe I will ultimately have to do the same for the head. Most, if not all details are present on the head, but they might be a bit squished in some cases, so increasing the scale would help significantly in those areas.

Though before that, I am working extensively to restructuring the hull plating to be considerably sturdy, highly detailed, and an optimized piece count to reduce weight.

Wow, it takes quite some persistance to hold on to a project like this for such a long time. I don't think I'd have the patience to work on something this long.

I saw your great AT-ST WIP and Snowspeeder too. Are you planning to build some big Hoth Display with all of these? :sweet:

Thank you Kit Bricksto! With the indefinite window in which to complete this MOC, it has truly opened the door to the greater breakthrough of designs, techniques, details, and much, which I am enthralled to experiencing time after again!

A huge Hoth Display is certainly an extensive project, one that I have not really considered, but it is an exciting idea—I might just have to borrow someones else's :laugh: Just kidding!

Though on the scene, I would like to have three of my AT-AT walkers on the battlefield with two AT-ST, three of my snowspeeders (one of them with gray stripes for luke and two with orange stripes), trenches, lots of turrets, etc., etc., etc. For three @@s it is certainly going to be large, so I would want the landscape separated into components, it can be easily transportable.

Edited by LiLmeFromDaFuture

Just a small update, I am still working extensively on designing the armor plating of the body and how I am going to get it all connected to the body :wacko:, but I came up with this new design which I have here to show!

25068604846_69f6654ab9.jpg

24799322130_9c6704066f.jpg

My new design for this particular detail which is featured on the body and feet. Originally, I was just using a 1 x 2 brick without the center tube, but that was unfortunately unavailable in LBG or LG. However, this new design is more accurate to the source material though it does require some illegal techniques to have made it possible.

Finally! After a while of revising, pondering, and putting off, I finally finished the overall design for the rear amor panel…

The whole reason behind it all was the endeavor to use the least amount of bricks to not only optimized the weight, but the pattern of the bricks, in which it look more uniform and less like a brick wall (literally); this design is attributed to my emphasized use of panel type bricks. Though importantly of all, it is considerably solid, which is attributed to my also emphasized use of bracket elements. Ideally, the panels will be connected to the hull individually to deter the front and rear panels from inserting stress on the middle panel, but also to achieve accuracy to the source material by having the side panels angle in more than the middle ones.

25302388111_2b8b15df52_c.jpg

24768698793_086bb86de4_c.jpg

And notice the use of that Imperial helmet for the greebling of the detail located at the lower corner of the panel—spiffy ain't it? On a side note, I do notice that the grille slopes are significantly close than should be according to the studio model; that is the cost of using those elements. But you all wouldn't care, as long as they are there you'll be happy, right? And it's a plus for fashioning them inside out :wink:.

24764817154_e130bfeb80_c.jpg

Couldn't you just use an upside-down jumper plate instead of the modified grille tile for the detailing on top of the head? It would look much better, since the studs wouldn't show through.

In my opinion grille slopes are too large and I have changed them to 1x1 cheese slopes. If you look at source photos, you can see that this element is barley noticeable in the scale of model.

Clever solution with that Imperial helmet :wink:

How did you achieved that bulge on side armor ?

Couldn't you just use an upside-down jumper plate instead of the modified grille tile for the detailing on top of the head? It would look much better, since the studs wouldn't show through.

The only efficient way I could do that is with 15535.JPG, but since the hole is centered it will offset the jumper plate a half plate. Though I could use 4276.GIF & 4275.GIF, but with the shallowness of 92946.JPG the detail would protrude out.

However, I will look out for more solutions that doesn't show studs.