aminnich

[TC8] [WIP] GSK55 Grove Trailer Crane

Second and third section look really good! I don't super like that dark bluish gray liftarm bracing on the first section but I guess it has to be there - maybe using just half thickness liftarms? And of course yellow would help a lot to improve the look.

Swing out jib is great idea - I didn't see many lego cranes with such feature, if any at all! I hope your boom can hold it - have you tried full extension with jib and some refference load?

I'd have one note regarding that jib construction - I'm pretty sure there's a better way to get this shape without that ugly bending ot those liftarms, also your design seems to be a bit on the heavier side - you really need this to be as light as possible. Therefore I think both the structure and mouting mechanism of your jib could use a redesign.

Thanks you guys for following my build so closely!

@kris; their has been2 Lego Mocs I have seen with the jib, one of which failed. Regarding the strength and bending of the jib, I'm going to be doing so redesigning. I'm not sure that it will able to lift a load it is more just for looks, but I will try. Again Lego is all about testing and redesign

What I mean is bringing the whole boom from being horizontal to being not horizontal. ;) With such a weight, this is a huge challenge, and I'm very curious as to how you will tackle this. I don't think LA's will do. Pneumatics, I have my doubts as well. Maybe you could consider brick-built cylinders using gear-racks? Or using strings? I don't know what's best here.

^Seing him holding the extended boom at the very beginning with one hand, I don't think his 4x LA mechanism will fail on raising this. Of course it will depend on how close to the pivot point will that pisten be fixed. The further the better on both superstructure and the boom.

My 8 LA mechanism would be great for this boom, but it is too long to use. The LA is almost as long as the boom itself. So I'll try to make it shorter, but i might make a sting and gear rack idea as mentioned. That won't b a problem :)

I told you i wanted to work on the chassis this weekend, so here it is.

The outriggers are on, battery box and receivers placed. I usually wait until the end to do the battery box and receivers, but they never fit in the model right. so i did it first this time.

Functions I am putting in the chassis are; the outriggers powered via L motors, the turn table via m motor, and a servo for steering.

Here are some phone pictures...

IMG_0307.JPG

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

I have a small update, school has been priority and i dont have much build time. here are some pictures

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

counter weight storage ( 1 set is one the other is off to show how its attached)

800x600.jpg

counter weight for crane

800x600.jpg

I hope to finish the crane on time for this contest, but be on the look out for my new build right after the contest whether I finish in time or not

Hey guys, it has been a while since i posted an update, but it has been a crazy week at college, so i made up my mind with what i am doing. Here is a "small" update on the GSK55 Trailer Crane. Here is a WIP pic:

Capture%20n.PNG

As you can see I built a shrink machine...

640x344.jpg

800x600.jpg

Here is a picture of just the trailer with the outriggers down

800x600.jpg

Boom up

800x600.jpg

Boom out

800x600.jpg

And.. size comparison haha

Btw this is the first model that i have only needed one large LA for. I have never built this small, so as always comments are welcomed.

Still to come; counterweight, string and make it look "fuller"

I definitely think the shrink is for the better. Sure, the large version may be more impressive, but you don't buy anything for that if it's not finished or doesn't work.

Detailing might be a bit harder at the smaller scale (although you can use studded parts maybe), but it's also much more likely you will have plenty of parts to do everything as you would like.

But don't forget the crane's operator cabin. Also, there's maybe too much black. Maybe throw in some gray and dark-gray here and there to break the black. If you check the reference picture you see there's multiple shades of gray.

Also maybe you could consider turning around the main boom, so the round panels are at the bottom and the flat panels at the top. This is more closely to real cranes.

Anyhow, it's a very interesting model I think and I hope you can get everything done in time :)

I agree with Erik. This is a move in the good direction, smaller is better :thumbup:

Colouring can improve. At first sight it looks more like a crane boom transport. Having a yellow superstructure on the carrier will help.

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

when you say superstructure, which structure are you talking about, the boom or the trailer itself, or something else? The color scheme is going to change to match the actual crane, this was a quick build one night.

Superstructure means everything above turntable (at least that's usual meaning). I guess that's also what Jeroen is talking about.

Like i said, i need to add to the cab area, everything that will be added, will be yellow, what you see is all internal stuff.

Coming along very nicely mate, I thought you were going to get rid of the driven axle idea in the trailer though. Do you think this will be finished in time or will it be finished after the competition ends like my one will be?

hey guys, i worked a little on the trailer crane today, rebuild the boom and made the extension via a worm gear. The large LA is hooked up and working. I basically just to add some string and a knob on the back to the worm gear extension. Im making it a remote control crane so no cabin on the crane. The main reason for this is that the boom is way big for the scale and their is very little room for a cabin.

640x480.jpg

640x480.jpg

640x854.jpg

Oh no, where have all the pictures gone? This is a shame as you had done a great job with the new smaller scale trailer.

I was organizing my bricksafe account, I'll fix it tonight, but first need to figure out uploading a video direct to my entry post

Im really hoping this works. Here is the video, not the greatest, but it allows to to still be in the contest.

i have posted my video on youtube, flickr, vimeo. nothing is working, how does the link get into the post as a video not a link

Edited by aminnich

two things

use the link from the share button on youtube

use a media tag instead of teh URL tag

[media] [/media]

and use http instead of https

Edited by efferman