Soul

Bricklinking the Y-Wing (10134)

I'm starting to think about what I'll do once I finish the MF, and looking at the UCS sets I'm missing that I care about, namely

Y-Wing

ISD

Tie Advanced

Death Star II

I think the Y-Wing is the one I'm missing most, so I've been looking at the parts list, and the most concerning part I can see is the white wheel rims. You can't seem to buy those anywhere.

Also the white corrigated tube used on the engine struts.

They are very expensive and there are 112 of them. Is there any decent alternative to using those? Or is it basically the case that that part will just eat up a significant chunk of the budget of building a 10134 and tough.

The other problem seemed to be the wheel rims used at the end

Given I'm bricklinking and it's not a 'genuine' set, I'm less concerned about substitutions in the same vein as building the Falcon.

Are there any other hard parts for this one?

I tried googling but there seemed much less info on building one of these compared to the Falcon.

Thanks!

Edited by Soul

The 10134 set is one of my favorites as well - and you're already at an advantage, even with rare parts: If you follow the accepted 'lore' about this vessel, the Y-wing in the OT is akin to a car without a hood, or a jet without engine cowlings. In other words, the Rebel mechanics got sick of removing the outer panels every time they modified or repaired these pigs (apparently they were hangar queens). The original RMcQ sketches suggested otherwise, but Lucas rammed through the above theory and sealed it with this set

So, you're in luck! I would say purchase as many corrugated tubes as you can stand, then fill in the remaining space on the white axles with these

The white rims could be brick built, or just slapped on at the very end of your search for affordable ones or alternatives. In conclusion, I would argue that there probably weren't two Y-wings in any one Rebel hangar that were exactly identical - like special ugly snowflakes :sweet:

Edited by lowlead

Also the white corrigated tube used on the engine struts.

They are very expensive and there are 112 of them. Is there any decent alternative to using those? Or is it basically the case that that part will just eat up a significant chunk of the budget of building a 10134 and tough.

The longer length tubes are much cheaper, the 7L white ones (for instance) go for $0.50 and up, and youd need a lot less of them, id work out what kind of lengths you need for the build and try piecing those together using different lengths rather then the giant pile of 2L parts in the official kit, might even end up looking cleaner.

As for the wheels, not a clue, if they cant be bought on BL or Brickowl, id seriously consider just getting the metallic silver version and spray painting them white, not exactly purist, but should end up looking the part, and if you do the paintjob well (few layers + some varnish), itll last forever, especially considering its a display model and wont get bumped around.

Some excellent points there guys - thanks very much!

Always wanted one of these (and an A-wing) so will start working on a parts list and stuff :classic:

...hangar queens... ...special ugly snowflakes :sweet:

Great. Now my Y-Wing is sulking in the corner.

Soul, I have a couple of thoughts:

There are different colours of 2L tube available which you could paint. You could use Flat Silver, which is very common and cheap.A quick look on bricklink shows that you can pick up 107 for 5p each from a UK-based store - and they might even look quite good unpainted.

Secondly: does it have to be a 10134 Y-Wing? I can see that you are a UCS Collector, so the answer is probably "yes" (and I do respect that). However, there was a wonderful Y-Wing MOC posted on this board a few years ago, complete with instructions, which might make a worthy alternative: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=84780

Edited by ScottishDave

Interesting! Looks like someone is actually trying to build it as well :classic:

Found this on http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BTL_Y-wing_starfighter, so yes looks like the Y-wings were generally hacked about and could look different depending on pilot/engineer.

The design had many flaws, and required constant maintenance. The Y-wing was originally entirely sheathed in an aerodynamic, elegant fuselage, but its high-maintenance nature led to many aggravated maintenance crews getting fed up with constantly having to remove the superficial hull plating and disposing of it altogether. Due to this, many Y-wings had no hull plating (except on the cockpit), exposing the internals of the main hull. Pilots founds that this would lighten the spaceframe and keep components cooler, noticeably boosting performance.[10]

I built Brickwright's y-wing that ScottishDave linked. I think it's far better than the UCS version. There are a few bugs in the instructions, but it's easy to figure out. It's a rather fun and complicated build but it looks amazing in person.

It's also pretty cheap to build as used and old gray bricks actually make it look better.

It's great looking, but is it a bit small though? I've got most of the UCS fighter-sized models, so it needs to 'fit' on display next to them.....

It's great looking, but is it a bit small though? I've got most of the UCS fighter-sized models, so it needs to 'fit' on display next to them.....

I'd forgotten what a big beast the UCS Y-Wing is. From memory, Brickwright's Y-Wing is 55 to 56 studs long. The UCS Y-Wing is about 20 studs longer.

There is a UCS-sized Y-Wing on flickr, but you'll have to figure out how to build it yourself, unless you can persuade the builder to share his LXF file with you.

Finally, I built one myself and put the LXF file on Brickshelf. It is also 56 studs long, but it could be lengthened, especially in the cockpit and the engine... frame things.

To return to our regularly scheduled program: you asked about tricky parts. In no particular order, you may struggle to find the following in the UK - or indeed anywhere for a decent price:

The white domes on the front of the engines

The double convex 33 degree slopes

The dark orange brick with handles

Any and all of the 3mm hoses

The Y-Wing-specific printed cockpit canopy

... and not forgetting our old friends, the light bluish grey levers with light bluish grey bases.

Good luck!

Edited by ScottishDave

Damn those levers!!!! :tongue:

Like the Falcon, I can cope with some weird substitues - no-one but me that sees them is going to know, and I'd rather have something in the collection than nothing.

But unlike the Falcon, I don't want to spend a fortune on something smaller than the Y-Wing, so I'll have to do some parts checking and see how bad it looks. Amazingly despite being around 4000 parts fewer than the Falcon, it's pretty close to the same number of unique lots!

I built this a few months ago as I managed to get a good price for a brand new set, even though the seal was broken. Great set with lots of greebling!

But before I managed to get this set, I was toying with the idea of BL-ing it and I thought of the following:

1. 30183 - LBG Inverted 6x4 slope (change to either DBG or white)

2. 30236 - Dark Brown brick with handle (change to white/yellow/DBG/LBG)

3. 78c02 - White Ribbed Hose (change to 78c11 and cut to size)

4. 4592c02 - LBG Levers (you can get a combination of LBG lever stalks with different colour bases, and LBG bases with different colour stalks and combined the 2 togther)

5. 6019 - Tan clips (change to LBG/DBG)

6. 2412 - Grille tiles (change to LBG/DBG)

As for the 32077 (white wheel) & 30083 (white dome), I guess the cheapest alternative is to spray them white....

Cheers and happy BL-ing!

I bricklinked this set but it was a few years ago. I used the silver wheels for the engines and they don't really stick out that much. It is one of my favorite Lego sets hands-down - well worth building!

I've just finished my bricklink of Anio's superb MOC UCS A-wing (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=108296) and have successfully painted some of the 'very hard to get'/'not available in right colour' alternative parts using Plastikote (satin finish seems the best).

Admittedly its for display only so I don't know how much abuse they would take, but its a good finish and works fine for the colours I needed (white, dark red, and black).

I'd like to do the UCS Y-Wing next and would happily go down the painting route for the wheel, dome and ribbed hoses....

I think it will work ok on the Y-wing hard to get/find elements such as the engine dome/wheel/ribs given they are not large stud pieces and are not sat in the middle of a load of pristine white tiles or such....plus a little variation will just add to the Y-wings 'used but loved' appearance.

I've added a couple of shots of the A-wing into the appropriate thread...pending the final replacement parts to come through....go on and tempt yourself some more....

What kind of prices are we talking here? Or is it more that certain parts are simply not available anywhere...

I'm eying a rebricked one with only minor substititions offered locally right now... (for 300€)

I've not actually compiled my list yet, but some parts seem to be unavailable, and some rare and expensive. €300 doesn't seem too bad, depending on what bits have been subbed.....

Quick check on Bricklink for the one's I recall being expensive - the dark orange (30236) brick with handles are £5.80 new and about £2 used, 18 of those needed, the 2L white ribbed hose are running at about £1.50 new / £0.70+ used - 112 needed. And the various 78cxxx pipes, domes and harder to find slopes/wedges/tan elements are not cheap.

And as ever there is the LBG levers at their crazy prices.

Not available I think included the canopy, the large wheels in white, and some of the white technic parts are hard to get in sufficient quantities (I think one of the parts would need almost 24 orders for the 24 needed).

Throw in shipping costs as appropriate....

I agree with Soul, depending on what has been subbed, it could be decent price. I've got my excel inventory built but not yet started collecting/building prices.

Edited by Hold0511

Saw a MISB 10134 sitting on a shelf in a toy store with a price tag of US$1,420. :sick:

No wonder it has been there for the past 6 months and collecting dust.

Edited by Azrielsc

The white ribbes hoses are exchanged for longer ones, the 4x6 inverted slopes are changed for more common ones and the stickers are missing... (UCS plaque is included as reprint) everything else is there in original colors (even the rims, bricks with handles, domes and all the tubing)

Think I'll make an offer for it...