Master Chief

[MOD] Wing and landing gear for Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle

If you're going to follow Reputator instructions and model, there's some parts you don't need. Mine is almost built, I'm just waiting for a few mores parts for my own mods, once i finish i could send you a list. I personally ordered all the parts in the set in black (where I could) but some are not needed.

Yea think I will do the same, but then for the grey bricks only. May I ask how much money you spend on the parts?

Yea think I will do the same, but then for the grey bricks only. May I ask how much money you spend on the parts?

Around 120-130 cdn (including the minifigs, kylo was like $30). If I were to do it again.

I'm having a bit of a struggle trying to convert this set to all black. I'm basically done apart from the central roof element which lifts up at the front and back on a combination of four grey hinges (2 x 4 with 6 studs and 3 pin holes) that dont come in black!

Can anybody help to suggest alternative ideas who may have already completed the colour changing process? Im stuck!

Last night I built the hatches as close as I could to Jangbricks. I tried attaching the smaller hatch with a rocking plate (3937 & 6134) and to where the cheese slopes sit, but it wasn't solid and it barely opened. Also by doing it this way there a gap between the two 1x8 rails at the back of the ship. So my next thought was to use droid arms (30377) similar to what the Slave 1 has with its hidden guns. I just need to get the pieces first, but I'm not sure if I should get.

Here are my possibilities

1. 30377+2432 or 30236 or 21445 or 18649 or 2540 or 48336

2. 2880+4275+4276

Edited by apoupada

Thanks!

Is there an easy way to import this list in BL or Brickowl? It makes it easier to search for the parts.

And about that, how do you people search for seperate bricks?

easiest way is to go to bricklink and input the set number and then under "wanted" select part out. Make sure to select the minimum desired quantity. Then manually edit all the non-black items to black. But review my list before finalizing it on bricklink cause there are parts you won't use and there's some extra parts I added. If you want make it completely black you'll have to make more mods, I still haven't completely finished cause I'm waiting on some parts.

Nice work hiding the hinges, I did mine with the removable pin method as i didn't want the hinges visible, but I may have to look at it again having seen yours.

Thanks!

Is there an easy way to import this list in BL or Brickowl? It makes it easier to search for the parts.

And about that, how do you people search for seperate bricks?

You can also download the brickstock program and then download Kylo Ren's shuttle part list.

From there, you can change the colours and/or replace any bricks to what you want. At the same time, you create a Wanted List ID and when you export your completed shuttle list, just input the Wanted List ID in it and you can export to your BL's Wanted List.

Edited by Azrielsc

Last night I built the hatches as close as I could to Jangbricks. I tried attaching the smaller hatch with a rocking plate (3937 & 6134) and to where the cheese slopes sit, but it wasn't solid and it barely opened. Also by doing it this way there a gap between the two 1x8 rails at the back of the ship. So my next thought was to use droid arms (30377) similar to what the Slave 1 has with its hidden guns. I just need to get the pieces first, but I'm not sure if I should get.

Here are my possibilities

1. 30377+2432 or 30236 or 21445 or 18649 or 2540 or 48336

2. 2880+4275+4276

So i tried all these possibilities to try and get the rear hatch to open and I was able to get one but it became too flimsy and it would fall off. So back to the drawing board.

Okay so I got all the parts in black expect for the 98286 Hinge Plate 2 x 4 with Pin Hole and 3 Holes (4x). These parts are quite hard to find in Europe.

Does anyone have/had the same problem and/or found a solution for this part/the hatch. I don't care if the hatch can open or not just as long as it looks as it looks fine.

EDIT:

Here's how I hide the lbg pieces, but the hatch doesn't open

https://imgur.com/a/AJVEg

How did you manage to replace the hinge plates?

Edited by Kevii23

those pieces don't come in black, so you either have to live with the grey, cover them so they're invisible but the hatch doesn't open, or MOD that whole area and come up with a solution. Mine are still grey and it's on a high enough shelf that I don't see them! I might revisit it later.

I want to build a black shuttle at some point in the future and am wondering if it's worth it getting the original set and replacing the gray parts which are visible with black, or should I just bricklink it? Either way I'm going to have to do a lot of bricklinking, but if I get the set I'm also getting Kylo Ren. Any advice?

I want to build a black shuttle at some point in the future and am wondering if it's worth it getting the original set and replacing the gray parts which are visible with black, or should I just bricklink it? Either way I'm going to have to do a lot of bricklinking, but if I get the set I'm also getting Kylo Ren. Any advice?

I have been thinking the same thing. It looks much better in black than the Lego version. I can buy Kylo ren off brick link so not as critical to buy the whole set if the price is right for them in black. If someone knows how much they spent on the all black version I could use as a guide that would be good.

Edited by Bbafett

I started off with a cheap used set off of ebay. I think it was 2/3 the new price. I've kept all the interior and unseen parts of the ship in their original colours, if only to make the interior a bit lighter than it would be in all black, but even then, the amount of original set left in the finished shuttle isn't great. I'd say to swap all the visible parts only, you need to bricklink at least 4/5 of the set, so it makes sense to do the whole thing. There's no stickers to worry about, so aside from figures there's nothing to worry about.

I bought the original set and then all the parts for the black version. If I were to do it again I would just bricklink the black parts (cost me around 100€).

I bricklinked it, it came out to 10$ cheaper including the minifgs. At the time I said I should have bought the set and bricklink the missing parts, but thinking about it now I'm glad I went the bricklink route. Unless you have plans to use those extra light & Dark bluish gray parts.

You can now a straight color swap without part substitutions. Lego now has the hinge pieces in black as well as the 2x2 round piece tile with the hole

To be honest I didn't like any of these otherwise very creative ideas, since the techniques always meant putting pieces off that were critical to me for the ship's look (like the 6x4 "cockpit" plates at the bottom on each side).
I came up with a very simple way that is just a bit less stable, doesn't need special parts (like 8 of the huge clip pieces) or visible modifications and it can transform into 3 positions (that are stable, as long as you don't turn the ship upside down ; ).

The only disadvantaves:
- the transformation process takes about 20-30 seconds
- once folded out the wings are a bit low - this could be fixed by putting studs off from the underside of each wingside (wings & structure), as many did.

On 9/6/2015 at 9:58 PM, zerog270 said:

Actually the wings do open like a "V". Check out this screen grab from the second trailer:

ScreenHunter_07 Sep. 06 20.53.jpg

The wings are also like that when he lands on Jakku at the beginning of the movie.

Kylo_Ren2.pngHere is my take on it - and don't ask: I replaced soooo many parts, I have no idea which/what/where :-).

Thanks to this post for ideas - and to Brickowl for the parts.

Changed: all black parts (well, mostly, some grey left on bottom), windows red/shaped (and go through to inside - something I'm keen on, as I did the same to my Sandcrawler 75059), cockpit lid is +2 wider (I hate silly gaps - again, something I fixed on the Sandcrawler), front gear, wing gear, wings fold at body via hinges (very hard to source in black! - 44254/44255) and hinge point is higher, and it's all pretty stable. I added a few other little bits to my liking.

I saw another post about using these "clicking" hinges, but the posting member didn't point out that they stuck out the other side of the wing. So I just built that area up a little bit, around them, but tried to make it looks the same.

I didn't resort to painting, but, I will admit to one sin: I used a chemical to 'glue' the new wing landing gear in position, as they kept rotating, when I put it down with the wings out.

I am quite pleased with the result... but I now have to pay attention to my 10221 Super Star Destroyer, as I moved a nearby lamp, and... uh...

Edited by Sciamo
Picture wasn't inserted.