Sign in to follow this  
Ivan Furlanis

Deskton Yard

Hi! After moving in a new flat some weeks ago, I settled a small town on a top of a commode, called Bedford-on-Commode, shown in another topic. That tiny town was just a display place waiting to clear the smallest bedroom where I'll push all LEGO stuff inside. As the future LEGO room is still full of boxes and books and I feel a compelling desire to move my trains, I decided two days ago to build a small freight yard on a desk in my main bedroom. So, here is Deskton Yard!

20245985982_1a6e1191d1_c.jpg

Deskton Yard by Ivan Furlanis, su Flickr

The yard isn't huge, just five stub tracks and a switchback spur, but it is enough to keep all my seven freight cars.

20245983102_7c0faa8a3e_c.jpg

The switchback track is used as a loading area of logs coming from nearby woods. But how can I switch this spur without a runaround track?

19633320223_628d01b12b_c.jpg

Easy: with a cable and capstans!

19631625674_cf9a5c4155_c.jpg

Cable connected :excited:

19631621474_dd25ce8e14_c.jpg

Let's go! The loco is moving to the right, the freight car to the left; the capstans guide the cable along the tracks.

19633309633_1b14a783a9_c.jpg

Now the freight car is ready to be coupled by the loco.

20260109701_f10f4d48dd_c.jpg

Finally, the morning freight train is ready to leave the yard.

That's all, for today.

Nice yard. Interesting to see a cable system. I think they use that for a Swiss different track gauge transfer yard.

Thanks.

Nice job, like the mods on the yellow cargo train

It's still a WIP. I'd like to replace the two grey train front bases with blue, but they are too expensive :hmpf_bad: and I'm looking for a cheaper solution. I'm planning to replace those fake doors with real train doors, too. The concept is to have both freight locos in blue/yellow livery.

Nice yard. Interesting to see a cable system. I think they use that for a Swiss different track gauge transfer yard.

I know this system was used in the past; today, I think, it would be forbidden by safety rules. But I was luck to see cable switching in Romania:

8258705934_202f56611c_c.jpg

CFF Vişeu 764-421 "Elveţia". Paltin by Ivan Furlanis, su Flickr

Here the loco is pulling the freight car on an adjacent track with a cable connected between the two vehicles.

Edited by Ivan Furlanis

That's a very compact yard and inspiring when you consider how large LEGO trains can be. It's not unlike an "Inglenook" shunting puzzle and gives lots of operational interest in a very tight space.

It's interesting to see capstan shunting using locos on adjacent lines. I was not aware of this method of working and thought it was restricted mainly to locations where locos could not operate (e.g. inside a goods station) using a stationary winding engine.

Love the capstan shunting. Very nice.

Another way that wagons used to be shunted in the UK was by horses. You could have a Lego horsey helping out. Nowadays some yards use tractors. Sometimes with added rail wheels, but often not. They just drive between the rails on the sleepers. You could consider one of those for moving your wagons around.

Love the capstan shunting. Very nice.

Another way that wagons used to be shunted in the UK was by horses. You could have a Lego horsey helping out.

20295781516_338b66594e_c.jpg

I tried to use a horse, but it likes more to sniff at flowers rather than pulling freight cars :hmpf_bad:

19701037673_24a917f0fa_c.jpg

By the way, I'm continuing to MOD the 7939 locomotive, this is the last result. Well, the door has been stolen from the 60052 loco: before to buy new doors I want to see how should look the vehicle. I've built a caboose, too. It looks simple, I know, but I've used just pieces I have at home.

Edited by Ivan Furlanis

I know this system was used in the past; today, I think, it would be forbidden by safety rules. But I was luck to see cable switching in Romania:

Oh man, they did a lot of crazy stuff in the past in the US (brakemen walking across the roof of a moving train to set or release hand brakes, using poles to push train cars on the other track, etc.). As for using cables to move cars, I think it is still done that way in the US to position freight cars without a locomotive. Not in major yards, but in small industrial spurs, e.g., a grain elevator.

I tried to use a horse, but it likes more to sniff at flowers rather than pulling freight cars :hmpf_bad:

By the way, I'm continuing to MOD the 7939 locomotive, this is the last result. Well, the door has been stolen from the 60052 loco: before to buy new doors I want to see how should look the vehicle. I've built a caboose, too. It looks simple, I know, but I've used just pieces I have at home.

From what little I know about horses, I doubt those flowers survived much longer (grin). It is neat to see your work on modding, that is a good start by improving upon an existing set.

Great to see something so different. There is an old model railway saying that 'there is a prototype for everything,' meaning no matter how crazy a model seems, it has probably been done in real life at some point.

An interesting feature of the one cable yard I am aware of at an Australian stone quarry is that the cable pulled special trucks called 'Barneys.' These were attached to a line of stone hoppers which were pulled up an incline under the loading chute. The incline meant that one cable could move the trucks forwards or backwards. This could be very easily achieved in Lego.

Photo credit goes to Flickr user navarzo21

15478239331_5c5fab4650.jpg

The cable can be seen attached to the Barney above.

I know the cab-pulled truck method to move freight cars along a spur or a siding, thanks. Maybe I'll improve Deskton Yard with this system in future :grin:. Another interesting switching move is the launch of a freight car behind a loco inside a trailing spur, but this is quite impossible to do with LEGO :hmpf_bad:.

By the way, I've just improved my transfer caboose. Someday it will have the same livery of the locos, but for the moment I keep in "caboose red" with just two stripes in blue and yellow.

20179899970_86d75c61d6_c.jpg

20374081231_d07e6c2949_c.jpg

The flatcar is carrying rails for an upcoming project to be done in the yard.

20179957398_b63dd8b5cf_c.jpg

Now the caboose has some interior details, too.

20374074361_53794759a3_c.jpg

In this pic you can see where rails continue with imagination beyond the desk.