Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest #139: Around the World

Hybros turned to his allies whilst they were finishing their purchases. "Now, to the reason why we are really here... In order to complete Guffington's goal, we must be in good graces with the council here. The Void Master thought that we would need at least three of the five as our allies before moving forward... if Guts and the others make it here with the other artifacts. I suggest we split up and each talk to a council member. We will probably need to return here later."

"Hmm...I see. Once the others arrive, I would be willing to speak to Amarcolm. I would speak to Bombast, but as Piglina warned, he will likely wish me to retrain as a Weather Mage, and my refusal to do so may negatively impact his opinion of us. Hopefully, Amarcolm will be a little more amenable to one who has trained in Chaos himself, especially given my...condition."

Miirym raises her head. "<Do you think it wise? To reveal such information to a stranger?>"

Arthur shrugs. "Honestly, I'm not sure myself. But it is a card in my hand that few if any others may play. Right now, I'll take any advantage I can get."

OoC: Sorry guys, not trying to be a dick with requesting the links, there were just some I legitimately couldn't find and I assumed y'all knew where they were since you had them in mind. Thanks for helping me out. :blush:

"I will take the Bone Claws as well as a Coat Hanger. How much would you give me for this Bone, Crystal Ball, and Gold Bar?"

Hoke rummages around his pack for a minute.

"Can you do anything with this? Mayhaps recharge it or re-purpose it? I feel there is some magic yet left within it."

Hoke presents the Used Summoning Amulet to the merchant.

Zeus tabulates some things.

IMG_2632_zpsc7pecoqp.jpg

"I'd be willing to give you 185 for the bone, crystal ball, and gold bar. I could give you 30 for the summoning amulet."

OOC: Sorry. :blush: The Toxic Hood is in Asphalt's inventory (Headwear, converts poison to blessed effect). I think it's from a KotZ quest, or possibly Lind's.

"I see... then how about a Venomari Helmet? I hear those are not too rare, eheh... And I will take one of each of a Scroll of Sloth (slow) and a Scroll of Minimizing, as well as 3 Mushrooms." He handed over 1400 gold and his Gold Bar as payment.

Hybros also swapped his Fighting Boots out for his new Crystal Shoes and immediately chowed down on the Mushrooms.

"What? I was hungry... eheh."

IMG_2632_zpsc7pecoqp.jpg

"I do not deal with the Venomari," he says rather haughtily. "But I will try to find that hood again." He searches through his chest, and his head re-appears. "The hood would be a neat 200 gold."

"How about Prayer Beads and Mercutio's Blessing, if they are not too hard to find? And how about Gems of each element?"

Purpearl takes off the Stingy Gloves and immediately equips her newly purchased Coat Hanger and her Tunic of Elven Acrobat as she ponders over the prices. She also attempts to trade in her Henry's Award and her 3 Bones for 200 and 15 gold respectively. (653+200+15=868) Holding out her Crocodile Handbag, "How much would you value this handbag?"

IMG_2632_zpsc7pecoqp.jpg

"400 and 200, each." He blushes... or whatever the equivalent of that is for him. "I'm sorry, my young apprentice, but I am both a business man and a mage, and I can't let the two get intertwined! And I'm not in the business of buying handbags, either."

Arthur purchases the Mail of the Renegade Commander, hanging it on the Coat Hanger and equipping said coat hanger in place of his Tin Gloves. Arthur reaches into his pack and offers to sell Zeus Ella's Pie. "Perhaps you could make better use of this than I could? How much would you value this concoction?"

IMG_2632_zpsc7pecoqp.jpg

"As I told Purpearl, I'm afraid I don't purchase things that aren't magical in nature..." he stares at the pie. "Hm... that is an interesting pie... and it does have an interesting aura."

"Hmm...I see. Once the others arrive, I would be willing to speak to Amarcolm. I would speak to Bombast, but as Piglina warned, he will likely wish me to retrain as a Weather Mage, and my refusal to do so may negatively impact his opinion of us. Hopefully, Amarcolm will be a little more amenable to one who has trained in Chaos himself, especially given my...condition."

Miirym raises her head. "<Do you think it wise? To reveal such information to a stranger?>"

Arthur shrugs. "Honestly, I'm not sure myself. But it is a card in my hand that few if any others may play. Right now, I'll take any advantage I can get."

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"Forgive me," says an Orc nearby. "I couldn't help but overhear that you're looking for an audience with Amarcolm." He bows deeply. "Whatever would you like to discuss with him, young mage?"

As the others finish up their purchases with Zeus, he leans in closely to them.

IMG_2632_zpsc7pecoqp.jpg

"Hey! Seeing as I've given you all a decent turn, selling my wares at such a marked down rate, I was hoping you might be able to help me out. See, the Merchant's Guild of Etheria has been joined by nearly all the merchants in Etheria, except for one. The Shadow Merchant has refused all my attempts to get her to join the guild. If you could get her to join the guild, I'd owe you all a favor. You'll find her selling her wares of Strange Beach."

OOC: price quote on Icy Halberd?

OOC: Now that I'm not longer on mobile: LINK And for convenience' sake:

heroica-icyhalberd.jpgIcy Halberd (WP:9, triple damage against plants and electric enemies, no damage against fiery and rock enemies; halberd)

IMG_2632_zpsc7pecoqp.jpg

"As I told Purpearl, I'm afraid I don't purchase things that aren't magical in nature..." he stares at the pie. "Hm... that is an interesting pie... and it does have an interesting aura."

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"Forgive me," says an Orc nearby. "I couldn't help but overhear that you're looking for an audience with Amarcolm." He bows deeply. "Whatever would you like to discuss with him, young mage?"

IMG_2632_zpsc7pecoqp.jpg

"Hey! Seeing as I've given you all a decent turn, selling my wares at such a marked down rate, I was hoping you might be able to help me out. See, the Merchant's Guild of Etheria has been joined by nearly all the merchants in Etheria, except for one. The Shadow Merchant has refused all my attempts to get her to join the guild. If you could get her to join the guild, I'd owe you all a favor. You'll find her selling her wares of Strange Beach."

"It would do much to increase one's Ether stores, at the cost of a little physical endurance. But then, that's par for the course as a mage, as I myself experienced when I was an avid spellcaster." Arthur shrugs. "If I happen to pass by Strange Beach, I'll be happy to put in a good word for you."

As the Orc approaches, Arthur offers a hand. "Arthur Ziegfried," he says in introduction, "and my companion Miirym." Miirym dips her head in acknowledgement. "I hear that Amarcolm has a deep history with Chaos. I'd like to discuss with him the events of a particularly Chaotic night, and the...consequences of it, which have led my employer and our party here. But, forgive me, it is a discussion better suited for a more private environment." Arthur gives the Orc an appraising look. "I don't suppose you'd be able to get me and Miirym an audience?" he asks, suspecting that he might in fact be speaking with Amarcolm himself.

"400 and 200, each." He blushes... or whatever the equivalent of that is for him. "I'm sorry, my young apprentice, but I am both a business man and a mage, and I can't let the two get intertwined! And I'm not in the business of buying handbags, either."

Purpearl frowns at the prices. She would imagine magical items would be less pricier.

"If there are no gems in your chest, I will take the Cloak of the Grand Vizier." Handing over 500 gold. (868-500=368)

"Marked down... relatively." Purpearl corrects. "Business is business, no hard feelings. But what favour will it be if we manage to convince her to join the guild? I might head over to the Strange Beach to have a look."

Purpearl waits for Master Zeus' response and turns around if anyone from the party would like to join her

Hybros nods. "Very well then. Arthur will speak to Amarcolm, and I will join you at the Strange Beach, Purpearl. Though I would like to speak to Captain Iceborn later... perhaps he can shed some light on a few things about the Cold Circle for me, so to speak... heh." He smiled weakly and shot a look at Hoke.

"Melquaidas, Strange Beach."

OOC: price quote on Icy Halberd?

"It would do much to increase one's Ether stores, at the cost of a little physical endurance. But then, that's par for the course as a mage, as I myself experienced when I was an avid spellcaster." Arthur shrugs. "If I happen to pass by Strange Beach, I'll be happy to put in a good word for you."

As the Orc approaches, Arthur offers a hand. "Arthur Ziegfried," he says in introduction, "and my companion Miirym." Miirym dips her head in acknowledgement. "I hear that Amarcolm has a deep history with Chaos. I'd like to discuss with him the events of a particularly Chaotic night, and the...consequences of it, which have led my employer and our party here. But, forgive me, it is a discussion better suited for a more private environment." Arthur gives the Orc an appraising look. "I don't suppose you'd be able to get me and Miirym an audience?" he asks, suspecting that he might in fact be speaking with Amarcolm himself.

OoC: Let's say 750. It's got a high WP.

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"Hm, yes, somewhere more private would do well." The orc smiles. "To my office, then, Melquiades!" The Void Master winks into existence next to the two and grabs them both by the wrist before throwing them through space. Arthur and Amarcolm materialize in Amarcolm's office, where Amarcolm and two other men are having a conversation. Arthur recognizes the first as Chauncey, but can't place the second.

c6010dc2-f953-4299-a102-fca60143127b_zpsujzplxvv.png

6a7a6ef1-ef07-402c-8171-3ff8700ab804_zps59ea023d.jpg

"...immense power. They hold many secrets to the past. I am only beginning to discover what they can truly do."

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"You don't have to convince me. But that's a conversation better suited for Iceborn."

"I thought only that you'd be interested."

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"Necromancy is a boring branch of magic. Where is the adventure? Where is the progression? You're only bringing back what has already been."

dd06a5a8-e14d-4477-9790-c851f5cc00bd_zpsa0380a64.jpg

"A great many secrets lie in the past. You know that better than anyone, Amarcolm."

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"I don't know about better than anyone."

"Think if we could raise sorcerers of ancient civilizations! To speak to those who saw the end of Moone! To uncover the secrets of the Mindflayer, to take that power for ourselves."

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"One day, perhaps. But for now, I have another guest. Besides, didn't you boys come here to celebrate? We can continue this drivel over drinks."

IMG_2559_zpsurgqn4mi.jpg

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"Some old apprentices. Never mind them." Amarcolm looks out at the Font. "What were you hoping to speak about today, young dragoon?"

"Marked down... relatively." Purpearl corrects. "Business is business, no hard feelings. But what favour will it be if we manage to convince her to join the guild? I might head over to the Strange Beach to have a look."

Purpearl waits for Master Zeus' response and turns around if anyone from the party would like to join her

IMG_2632_zpsc7pecoqp.jpg

"Aha! Isn't that the beauty of a favor. You never know what you'll need, and then when you know what you need, you can have it!"

Hybros nods. "Very well then. Arthur will speak to Amarcolm, and I will join you at the Strange Beach, Purpearl. Though I would like to speak to Captain Iceborn later... perhaps he can shed some light on a few things about the Cold Circle for me, so to speak... heh." He smiled weakly and shot a look at Hoke.

"Melquaidas, Strange Beach."

Purpearl and Hybros are whisked away to the Strange Beach... which swiftly lives up to its name.

IMG_2634_zps1f0ivqsy.jpg

The beach is actually an enormous pyramid of sand, and apparently open air, though where and how is impossible to tell. At the very tip of the pyramid is a small fountain (bloated out by the sun... whoops). The water trickles down the pyramid until it's too far off to see. Two people talk near the top of the pyramid.

"I'll keep the amulet for now."

Hoke makes the exchange, removes the Pugilist Gloves, and equips the Bone Claws.

OoC: Let's say 750. It's got a high WP.

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"Hm, yes, somewhere more private would do well." The orc smiles. "To my office, then, Melquiades!" The Void Master winks into existence next to the two and grabs them both by the wrist before throwing them through space. Arthur and Amarcolm materialize in Amarcolm's office, where Amarcolm and two other men are having a conversation. Arthur recognizes the first as Chauncey, but can't place the second.

c6010dc2-f953-4299-a102-fca60143127b_zpsujzplxvv.png

"...immense power. They hold many secrets to the past. I am only beginning to discover what they can truly do."

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"You don't have to convince me. But that's a conversation better suited for Iceborn."

"I thought only that you'd be interested."

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"Necromancy is a boring branch of magic. Where is the adventure? Where is the progression? You're only bringing back what has already been."

dd06a5a8-e14d-4477-9790-c851f5cc00bd_zpsa0380a64.jpg

"A great many secrets lie in the past. You know that better than anyone, Amarcolm."

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"I don't know about better than anyone."

"Think if we could raise sorcerers of ancient civilizations! To speak to those who saw the end of Moone! To uncover the secrets of the Mindflayer, to take that power for ourselves."

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"One day, perhaps. But for now, I have another guest. Besides, didn't you boys come here to celebrate? We can continue this drivel over drinks."

IMG_2559_zpsurgqn4mi.jpg

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"Some old apprentices. Never mind them." Amarcolm looks out at the Font. "What were you hoping to speak about today, young dragoon?"

Arthur is disoriented, yet somehow relaxed, as if a part of him was satisfied by the chaos of the island in a way nothing else could. He speaks Diplomatically to the Council member.

"I'll get straight to the point: I was there the night Passion died, the night Wren tried to usurp Zoot. We want to revive him, with four artifacts that came from Etheria itself, and we're hoping for your support in approving such a venture." Arthur breathes, allowing the First Breath to calm him, to renew his focus in a non-combat manner. "On top of that...there is the manner of my own form." Arthur relaxes against the desk, allowing his arm to melt into a pool of inky blackness. Zoot's Rebel allows his weapon form to rise from the pool, and the rest of him to assume a darker form, not unlike the one Passion himself had been forced into in the final hours of that fateful night. Miirym takes a few nervous steps back, but for the most part tries not to show her distress. "As you can see, I have a...unique relationship with my Zoot's Plaything. And yet, real comfort eludes me." Arthur, noticing Miirym slinking slowly away, quickly reforms, though his weapon form remains in his hand. "I feel...things...toward this part of me...I'm not sure what. Fear? Shame? Guilt? It's hard to tell which are toward my form, and which are towards the mistakes I made while a Chaomancer. I need to make peace with those memories, those feelings. I want to accept myself as I am, instead of wasting time and energy wishing I could go back to being a normal human. I want this to be a gift I can use, not a curse weighing me down. I need to take care of my issues, so I can take better care of her."

Miirym opens her mouth as if to speak, but decides to say nothing.

Arthur pulls out his Dauntlet Index, holding it side-by-side with his weapon form. "Two weapons, alike in power. One I use, commonly, with confident strength. The other, a guarded secret, kept hidden from those who would not understand. At times, the life I lead and the nature of my being feel as separate as these two weapons. If only I could somehow unite them as one....I can only imagine how much stronger I would be. You are a master of Chaos, what advice can you give towards correcting my own imbalance?"

Hybros nods to Purpearl and approaches the pair. "Hello. You must be the Shadow Merchant. Are you selling your wares today?"

Arthur is disoriented, yet somehow relaxed, as if a part of him was satisfied by the chaos of the island in a way nothing else could. He speaks Diplomatically to the Council member.

"I'll get straight to the point: I was there the night Passion died, the night Wren tried to usurp Zoot. We want to revive him, with four artifacts that came from Etheria itself, and we're hoping for your support in approving such a venture." Arthur breathes, allowing the First Breath to calm him, to renew his focus in a non-combat manner. "On top of that...there is the manner of my own form." Arthur relaxes against the desk, allowing his arm to melt into a pool of inky blackness. Zoot's Rebel allows his weapon form to rise from the pool, and the rest of him to assume a darker form, not unlike the one Passion himself had been forced into in the final hours of that fateful night. Miirym takes a few nervous steps back, but for the most part tries not to show her distress. "As you can see, I have a...unique relationship with my Zoot's Plaything. And yet, real comfort eludes me." Arthur, noticing Miirym slinking slowly away, quickly reforms, though his weapon form remains in his hand. "I feel...things...toward this part of me...I'm not sure what. Fear? Shame? Guilt? It's hard to tell which are toward my form, and which are towards the mistakes I made while a Chaomancer. I need to make peace with those memories, those feelings. I want to accept myself as I am, instead of wasting time and energy wishing I could go back to being a normal human. I want this to be a gift I can use, not a curse weighing me down. I need to take care of my issues, so I can take better care of her."

Miirym opens her mouth as if to speak, but decides to say nothing.

Arthur pulls out his Dauntlet Index, holding it side-by-side with his weapon form. "Two weapons, alike in power. One I use, commonly, with confident strength. The other, a guarded secret, kept hidden from those who would not understand. At times, the life I lead and the nature of my being feel as separate as these two weapons. If only I could somehow unite them as one....I can only imagine how much stronger I would be. You are a master of Chaos, what advice can you give towards correcting my own imbalance?"

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"Yes, Chauncey has already told me of your designs." Amarcolm goes and sits down behind his desk, rubbing his hands together. "Chauncey and his ilk are always looking for things like balance. But striving for balance presupposes that things are meant to be balanced. You and I know better than that." He smiles crookedly, revealing dangerously filed teeth. "But I'm a sucker for throwing something new into the mix. Tell me, what makes you think that reviving Passion is any better than whatever is coming should we let him rest?"

Amarcolm appraises the dragoon as he reveals his real nature. "Etheria is host to a number of strange creatures - so while I can say confidently that I have never seen something quite like you, I can't say I'm shocked. Your nature is your nature. Ask anyone on Etheria and they will tell you the same." Amarcolm lifts the Daunlet Index and feels its balance. "This was crafted by an ancient beast of order." He places it down. "You're not going to like my answer, but its the solution. Don't worry so much. You are what you are. Look at Olegaia. Look at my own field of study. What should I to say when schools are ripped out of their proper place, when empires fall? People demand answers, want chaos to be kept in the wings, but chaos is the whole world. In what ways are you different than any other mortal? Malcontent with your form? If I could be born not an Orc, fine, I'd take the deal. What do you mean by a normal human? What do we mean by a normal world?"

Hybros nods to Purpearl and approaches the pair. "Hello. You must be the Shadow Merchant. Are you selling your wares today?"

The two break off their conversation and face the new comers.

IMG_2635_zpsyjfpd6bk.jpg

"Well perceived," says the Shadow Merchant in a voice that is impossible to assign a gender, age, or species. "I am afraid I am not selling wares at the moment. Strange Beach is a place of relaxation and release, no place for business. As I was just reminding The Beast."

IMG_2636_zpsebqpezcv.jpg

"Hey! That wasn't business. Just a nice chat."

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"Yes, Chauncey has already told me of your designs." Amarcolm goes and sits down behind his desk, rubbing his hands together. "Chauncey and his ilk are always looking for things like balance. But striving for balance presupposes that things are meant to be balanced. You and I know better than that." He smiles crookedly, revealing dangerously filed teeth. "But I'm a sucker for throwing something new into the mix. Tell me, what makes you think that reviving Passion is any better than whatever is coming should we let him rest?"

Amarcolm appraises the dragoon as he reveals his real nature. "Etheria is host to a number of strange creatures - so while I can say confidently that I have never seen something quite like you, I can't say I'm shocked. Your nature is your nature. Ask anyone on Etheria and they will tell you the same." Amarcolm lifts the Daunlet Index and feels its balance. "This was crafted by an ancient beast of order." He places it down. "You're not going to like my answer, but its the solution. Don't worry so much. You are what you are. Look at Olegaia. Look at my own field of study. What should I to say when schools are ripped out of their proper place, when empires fall? People demand answers, want chaos to be kept in the wings, but chaos is the whole world. In what ways are you different than any other mortal? Malcontent with your form? If I could be born not an Orc, fine, I'd take the deal. What do you mean by a normal human? What do we mean by a normal world?"

Arthur sighs. "I was afraid that your advice would fall along those lines. You're right, but acceptance is easier said than done." The Dragoon ponders for a moment, considering Amarcolm's argument. "Perhaps the world should be in balance. Perhaps it should not. 'Should' and 'should not' are only exp<b></b>ressions of an individual's opinion, it is up to them to make it happen or not. But inner balance is practical, useful. When the world shifts and changes, the balanced man may ride the wave in either direction, whereas an extremist either wins or gets washed away by the tide. But I'm rambling." Arthur stops again, thinking of how best to shore up his own argument. He begins again, speaking measuredly, Diplomatically. "You say you are a sucker for throwing new things into the mix. In a way, I am the complementary inverse. I detest pieces being needlessly removed from the board, particularly those I find compelling. Passion is one of those pieces, removed far too soon. With him gone, there is less vitality, less interplay in the affairs of the Old Gods and their interactions with the mortal world. I do not know what is coming next. I doubt it can be stopped--at least, not before it has arrived and made itself known. Delayed...maybe. But not halted. So it was with Wren, and so it shall be now. Without Passion, these forces will continue unchecked, their actions set to follow their plans. With him returned, those plans must be amended, and their outcome in turn becomes less certain. Passion's presence will definitely make things more interesting...wouldn't you agree?"

The two break off their conversation and face the new comers.

"Well perceived," says the Shadow Merchant in a voice that is impossible to assign a gender, age, or species. "I am afraid I am not selling wares at the moment. Strange Beach is a place of relaxation and release, no place for business. As I was just reminding The Beast."

"Hey! That wasn't business. Just a nice chat."

"I am sure this place is not called Strange Beach for nothing, aside from relaxation and release. Any particular peculiar events that happen here before that earned this beach the name?" Purpearl casually approaches the two, hoping to gain some rapport and trust before threading into more serious matters. "Don't mind us, we are unfamiliar with this place. Out of curiosity, Shadow Merchant, what do you normally sell?"

Hybros nodded and let Purpearl speak to the Shadow Merchant. He sized up what looked like a Bugbear. "The Beast? You must know as well as I do that size is a poor indication of strength, to have a name like that... heheh."

Arthur sighs. "I was afraid that your advice would fall along those lines. You're right, but acceptance is easier said than done." The Dragoon ponders for a moment, considering Amarcolm's argument. "Perhaps the world should be in balance. Perhaps it should not. 'Should' and 'should not' are only expressions of an individual's opinion, it is up to them to make it happen or not. But inner balance is practical, useful. When the world shifts and changes, the balanced man may ride the wave in either direction, whereas an extremist either wins or gets washed away by the tide. But I'm rambling." Arthur stops again, thinking of how best to shore up his own argument. He begins again, speaking measuredly, Diplomatically. "You say you are a sucker for throwing new things into the mix. In a way, I am the complementary inverse. I detest pieces being needlessly removed from the board, particularly those I find compelling. Passion is one of those pieces, removed far too soon. With him gone, there is less vitality, less interplay in the affairs of the Old Gods and their interactions with the mortal world. I do not know what is coming next. I doubt it can be stopped--at least, not before it has arrived and made itself known. Delayed...maybe. But not halted. So it was with Wren, and so it shall be now. Without Passion, these forces will continue unchecked, their actions set to follow their plans. With him returned, those plans must be amended, and their outcome in turn becomes less certain. Passion's presence will definitely make things more interesting...wouldn't you agree?"

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"Well you speak well," grins Amarcolm. "I don't see how it matters to me either way. But I do have a soft spot for Chauncey, and I am interested in what the Hel will happen with that Passion fellow. Everyone does seem mighty worried without him. Besides, it's all the better when all the sides are even, huh? More cataclysmic that way." Amarcolm scratches his chin. "For now, rest easy that I won't hinder you, but don't expect my help either. Unless you can sweeten the deal, that is."

"But a piece of advice, Chaos. Of the whole Council, I'm going to be your easiest sell. Well, besides the Alt, but if I had to guess it's partially at her bidding that Lord Chauncey has taken on their endeavor. Bombast, Piglina and Iceborn are going to tell you that whatever the Hel your trying to do is dangerous or unnatural, or, heavens forbid it, too chaotic. Sarl tirno. You will have to buy them off. And do not think that this island will not fight itself. We have a history of avoiding outward violence, but conflicts in here are mostly settled by who is the most powerful. And that's the way it should be, right? Whoever is the most powerful is technically right." He chuckles gruffly.

"I am sure this place is not called Strange Beach for nothing, aside from relaxation and release. Any particular peculiar events that happen here before that earned this beach the name?" Purpearl casually approaches the two, hoping to gain some rapport and trust before threading into more serious matters. "Don't mind us, we are unfamiliar with this place. Out of curiosity, Shadow Merchant, what do you normally sell?"

IMG_2635_zpsyjfpd6bk.jpg

"Oh, what all the merchants of Etheria sell. We are an island of mages, and most of our visitors are mages as well, so we all sell magical wares."

"As for Strange Beach..." the Shadow Merchant gestures around. "Does it really need to be stranger than this? I suppose if you really want to know something strange about it, it doesn't seem to end anywhere. And there's a certain point where the Void Masters can't hear you anymore. We've lost a few brave souls who climbed down looking for the bottom and never returned."

Hybros nodded and let Purpearl speak to the Shadow Merchant. He sized up what looked like a Bugbear. "The Beast? You must know as well as I do that size is a poor indication of strength, to have a name like that... heheh."

Hybros quickly realizes that the Bugbear is actually enormous for it's race, at least as large as the average Pongcanis.

IMG_2636_zpsebqpezcv.jpg

"Yes," says the mutated Bugbear. "Thank you! That is exactly what I was saying to the Shadow Merchant!" The Bugbear begins to pace as it pontificates. "Our magic for years has and a major effect on the creatures of the world. I myself came to this island as a normal Bugbear, and through a series of freak magical experiments and accidents ended up with my enormous stature and my intelligence. And she'll never tell you this, though it would help my cause enormously, but Piglina arrived at this island a normal pig meant to be turned into bacon for a feast. She and her brother both ran awry of some foul magic, and were spared."

"I am currently seeking approval from the Council to develop a ethical exploration of how magic may improve the lives of my fellow beings of 'lesser intelligence' and perhaps help them all evolve to our own levels of cognition. But I need a certain number of signatures, and I'm having difficulty procuring them. Amarcolm laughed me out of his office and told me he enjoyed meat too much, and Iceborn told me it was unnatural... as if he cares about things like that."

Hoke looks around the center once more as his companions are spirited away.

The City Center has died down a little, but Hoke catches sight of a wingless werebat and a dangerously page Nôrn locked in deep conversation.

IMG_2630_zpsgiqkgpnh.jpg

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"Well you speak well," grins Amarcolm. "I don't see how it matters to me either way. But I do have a soft spot for Chauncey, and I am interested in what the Hel will happen with that Passion fellow. Everyone does seem mighty worried without him. Besides, it's all the better when all the sides are even, huh? More cataclysmic that way." Amarcolm scratches his chin. "For now, rest easy that I won't hinder you, but don't expect my help either. Unless you can sweeten the deal, that is."

"But a piece of advice, Chaos. Of the whole Council, I'm going to be your easiest sell. Well, besides the Alt, but if I had to guess it's partially at her bidding that Lord Chauncey has taken on their endeavor. Bombast, Piglina and Iceborn are going to tell you that whatever the Hel your trying to do is dangerous or unnatural, or, heavens forbid it, too chaotic. Sarl tirno. You will have to buy them off. And do not think that this island will not fight itself. We have a history of avoiding outward violence, but conflicts in here are mostly settled by who is the most powerful. And that's the way it should be, right? Whoever is the most powerful is technically right." He chuckles gruffly.

Arthur opens his mouth to reply, but Miirym beats him to it.

"<The strong survive, do they not? If something on this island seeks to bring Arthur harm, I will personally ensure it learns of its weakness.>"

A little stronger than I'd put it, Arthur thinks to himself, but not exactly an unwelcome sentiment. He focuses on Amarcolm. "You mentioned sweetening the deal. I don't suppose there's anything Miirym and I could do to help you out, any favor that would encourage a more...personal investment in our cause?"

Miirym sits up straighter and unfurls her wings impressively (or at least, as best she can in the confined space). "<Do not forget that I am a Dragon, Mr. Amarcolm. The aid of a Dragon is not to be underestimated.>"

Edited by Flipz

OOC: Please add Hybros' Grogmas gift to his inventory: Phoenix Emblem (Automatically revives the wearer with 1 health once per battle if they get knocked out; accessory.)

Hybros quickly realizes that the Bugbear is actually enormous for it's race, at least as large as the average Pongcanis.

IMG_2636_zpsebqpezcv.jpg

"Yes," says the mutated Bugbear. "Thank you! That is exactly what I was saying to the Shadow Merchant!" The Bugbear begins to pace as it pontificates. "Our magic for years has and a major effect on the creatures of the world. I myself came to this island as a normal Bugbear, and through a series of freak magical experiments and accidents ended up with my enormous stature and my intelligence. And she'll never tell you this, though it would help my cause enormously, but Piglina arrived at this island a normal pig meant to be turned into bacon for a feast. She and her brother both ran awry of some foul magic, and were spared."

"I am currently seeking approval from the Council to develop a ethical exploration of how magic may improve the lives of my fellow beings of 'lesser intelligence' and perhaps help them all evolve to our own levels of cognition. But I need a certain number of signatures, and I'm having difficulty procuring them. Amarcolm laughed me out of his office and told me he enjoyed meat too much, and Iceborn told me it was unnatural... as if he cares about things like that."

"I see... The problem with that is that animals are of intelligence, or so they say. I am sure I have seen people talk to animals, and they would talk back. If you do not mind me asking, what does the Shadow Merchant have to do with this? And what can you tell be about Iceborn? If he is trained in necromancy, I am not sure what he can consider natural... especially on this island, heheh."

OOC: Please add Purpearl's as well. Prismatic Focus (Wearer can cast two spells in one round; suitable to mages, necromancers and weather mages; accessory.)

"Oh, what all the merchants of Etheria sell. We are an island of mages, and most of our visitors are mages as well, so we all sell magical wares."

"As for Strange Beach..." the Shadow Merchant gestures around. "Does it really need to be stranger than this? I suppose if you really want to know something strange about it, it doesn't seem to end anywhere. And there's a certain point where the Void Masters can't hear you anymore. We've lost a few brave souls who climbed down looking for the bottom and never returned."

"Hmm, I just came from the City Centre and met a merchant peddling magical wares. Do merchants in Etheria sell magical items related to their innate element? Dare I guess you must specialise in darkness related magical wares?" Purpearl ponders in deep thought, "Correct me if I am wrong, there must be some collaboration between all the merchants in Etheria...perhaps a Merchant Guild of some sort... to achieve some sort of order or union?"

"Treasures at the bottom?" Purpearl wonders.

Edited by Purpearljellyblob

The City Center has died down a little, but Hoke catches sight of a wingless werebat and a dangerously page Nôrn locked in deep conversation.

Hoke and Torc inconspicuously make their way closer to the pair, trying to listen to a bit of the conversation before interrupting it.

OoC: I'll post updated stats tomorrow! :thumbup:

"<The strong survive, do they not? If something on this island seeks to bring Arthur harm, I will personally ensure it learns of its weakness.>"

A little stronger than I'd put it, Arthur thinks to himself, but not exactly an unwelcome sentiment. He focuses on Amarcolm. "You mentioned sweetening the deal. I don't suppose there's anything Miirym and I could do to help you out, any favor that would encourage a more...personal investment in our cause?"

Miirym sits up straighter and unfurls her wings impressively (or at least, as best she can in the confined space). "<Do not forget that I am a Dragon, Mr. Amarcolm. The aid of a Dragon is not to be underestimated.>"

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

<Don't worry so much! No one on the island is looking to do your companion harm. Not yet, at least. We'll see what sort of trouble he gets into. But even then heroes should be able to protect themselves.>

"I can't say I can think of anything at the moment that would prompt me to assist. As I said, I am fond of Chauncey, especially now that he's killed off my other pupil and given me no one else to pride myself in, but at the end of the day, as a Chaomancer, which side I pick usually doesn't matter. Things always go down the tubes no matter what I do, which is exactly how I like it." His eyes spark. "Tell you what. If you feel prepared, later, to move forward with this, come back and give me one gold coin, and I'll maybe help you. How does that sound?"

"I see... The problem with that is that animals are of intelligence, or so they say. I am sure I have seen people talk to animals, and they would talk back. If you do not mind me asking, what does the Shadow Merchant have to do with this? And what can you tell be about Iceborn? If he is trained in necromancy, I am not sure what he can consider natural... especially on this island, heheh."

IMG_2636_zpsebqpezcv.jpg

"Yes! That is exactly the point I am making! You and I recognize the intelligence in the animals, but everyone else refers to them only as dumb beasts! What if we could figure out a way that we all could communicate?"

"The more support I have on the island, the more likely the Council is to honor my request. If worse comes to worse, of course, I'll simply attempt to join the Council and push forward my own research. I don't know if they'll approve me, but I don't think they'd stand in my way either, if I'm on the council..."

"Captain Iceborn is one of the oldest members of the Council. He hails from Vartland originally, I understand, and was a necromancer and raider serving Helvetia. He's an old fashioned sod, conservative as all Hel. Far as I can tell, the rest of the Council can't stand him, but they can't get rid of him. He's got this weird pet thing for the Cold Circles too. Ugh." Beast scratches his rear end. "But he's not the worst guy, if you just go talk to him. And without him and the Mother the Council would devolve pretty quickly, if you ask me. He's pompous as any of them, but at least he doesn't have the showboating of Pignlina and Bombast."

"Hmm, I just came from the City Centre and met a merchant peddling magical wares. Do merchants in Etheria sell magical items related to their innate element? Dare I guess you must specialise in darkness related magical wares?" Purpearl ponders in deep thought, "Correct me if I am wrong, there must be some collaboration between all the merchants in Etheria...perhaps a Merchant Guild of some sort... to achieve some sort of order or union?"

"Treasures at the bottom?" Purpearl wonders.

IMG_2635_zpsyjfpd6bk.jpg

"You can try. But I won't be responsible in advising you to seek those treasures. No one has ever come back." The Shadows Merchant drifts to the right, and then to the left, sizing up Purpearl. "Aha! Sent by the Electrical Emperor, yes? He's always sending ambassadors for his cause. What is so wrong about the free market? Just because I can undersell him and his friends."

"But to stop the hounding, maybe I should give up my quest for freedom and tether myself to something or other." The Shadow merchant rubs his/her wispy hands together. "Especially if you help me. You see, I've been having an issue getting Etherial Amethysts. The Forge Master has been angry with me ever since I struck out on my own. As if not having a shadow is the worst fate in the world! But if you travelers go there and obtain one for me, I'd be ever so thankful, and I'd even be willing to join the Guild if that's what you want. Like I said, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world."

Hoke and Torc inconspicuously make their way closer to the pair, trying to listen to a bit of the conversation before interrupting it.

IMG_2631_zpsta0vg6ld.jpg

"...absolutely absurd. And when I go to the Council they refuse to do anything about it!"

IMG_2628_zpsgjixg5tj.jpg

"Make no mistake! There is more than one answer that the Council keeps from the rest of Etheria. I've spoken to Amarcolm about it many times and he refuses to do anything."

IMG_2631_zpsta0vg6ld.jpg

"It is always the same. They have no authority! They cannot control the Void Masters-"

IMG_2628_zpsgjixg5tj.jpg

"Or the Memory Keeper! Though Ethereth knows he's really under Hope's thumb. Or claw... or whatever."

Before Hoke can react to them, a few familiar faces tumble forth.

vy_zpsf5cagfkn.png

IMG_2572_zpsb0esaj6g.jpg

"It's very rare to meet another Selkreeth. Where was it that you said you-"

IMG_2378_zpsp4n3vhuj.jpg

"Ah, heroes! Welcome to Etheria! It is a great pleasure to make your acquaintance. I have a little something that I would absolutely love to-"

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"Bombast, don't you have somewhere to be?"

IMG_2378_zpsp4n3vhuj.jpg

"Yes they're right here."

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

"Welcome to Etheria, her-"

IMG_2378_zpsp4n3vhuj.jpg

"Damn it, Amarcolm, this is my group!"

16306387965_97c0811ab4_t.jpg

"Arthur Ziegfried," he says in introduction, "and my companion Miirym." Miirym dips her head in acknowledgement. "I hear that Amarcolm has a deep history with Chaos. I'd like to discuss with him the events of a particularly Chaotic night, and the...consequences of it, which have led my employer and our party here. But, forgive me, it is a discussion better suited for a more private environment."

The other time disappears, and Doc Daneeka, Matthias, Guts and Dyric are deposited in the City Center, where Bombast, Hoke, U'Or and Elba wait for them.

IMG_2623_zpsukzrulr6.jpg

IMG_2378_zpsp4n3vhuj.jpg

"Welcome to Etheria, heroes!"

OoC: Hoke, the Norn and were bat are still there if you'd like to approach them!

So just to clarify, who are we in the room with? Just the four listed?

Edited by The Legonater

IMG_2374_zpszvwwzoyg.jpg

<Don't worry so much! No one on the island is looking to do your companion harm. Not yet, at least. We'll see what sort of trouble he gets into. But even then heroes should be able to protect themselves.>

"I can't say I can think of anything at the moment that would prompt me to assist. As I said, I am fond of Chauncey, especially now that he's killed off my other pupil and given me no one else to pride myself in, but at the end of the day, as a Chaomancer, which side I pick usually doesn't matter. Things always go down the tubes no matter what I do, which is exactly how I like it." His eyes spark. "Tell you what. If you feel prepared, later, to move forward with this, come back and give me one gold coin, and I'll maybe help you. How does that sound?"

"Amarcolm, you have yourself a deal. Thank you for meeting with me; it's rare to meet someone who understands Chaos these days, especially after Wren's defeat. You and Lord Chauncey both have been a welcome breath of fresh air." Arthur bows respectfully to Amarcolm; Miirym also gives a short nod. "Melquiades, to the City Center, please." "<What he said, Melquiades.>"

Matthias tries unsuccessfully to make sense of what's going on... and looks around, taking stock of exactly who is around.

"It sounds like Iceborn will be hard to convince of anything... Is it really that easy to elect a new council member?"

"You can try. But I won't be responsible in advising you to seek those treasures. No one has ever come back." The Shadows Merchant drifts to the right, and then to the left, sizing up Purpearl. "Aha! Sent by the Electrical Emperor, yes? He's always sending ambassadors for his cause. What is so wrong about the free market? Just because I can undersell him and his friends."

"But to stop the hounding, maybe I should give up my quest for freedom and tether myself to something or other." The Shadow merchant rubs his/her wispy hands together. "Especially if you help me. You see, I've been having an issue getting Etherial Amethysts. The Forge Master has been angry with me ever since I struck out on my own. As if not having a shadow is the worst fate in the world! But if you travelers go there and obtain one for me, I'd be ever so thankful, and I'd even be willing to join the Guild if that's what you want. Like I said, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world."

"One etherial amethyst to buy you over to the guild? Sounds like a good plan. But wouldn't it be better if we approach the Forge Master together and propose your intention to join the guild, who knows the master would be more than happy to grant you more than just one etherial amethyst... I vaguely remember the Electrical Emperor possessing more than a couple of those etherial gems, and he is a member of the guild, correct?"