Sign in to follow this  
Vindicare

Staying together.

From time to time I've wondered about this. Is leaving sets together okay? Example would be the Modulars. I have all of them & once I put them together, thats how they stayed. 10182 Cafe Corner has been together for 8 years now. I'm not overly concerned about things(clutch power and such), more curious than anything.

I have a few sets assembled for over 30 years. They require dusting from time to time and are fun to look at. Do what works for you.

I thought this thread was going to be about people staying together due to LEGO addiction....

Anyway, I had a Technic set built from 1994 to 2011 which I then pulled to pieces, no issues when I did pull it to pieces :)

I have had some issues with bricks. I recently pulled down 75003, and when I went to rebuild it today quite a number of bricks had sizeable cracks in them. This has also happened infrequently with a few other pieces. In general, however, I would say that it will be okay.

I bought the DeLorean last year and got the big ben as a present in December. Both will be staying together untilI would not want them ranymore. For me complicated sets or ones with many small parts will be put together and will stay so forever. There is nothing worse then needing to rebuild a set and you can't find the parts!

Most of the sets I build I tend to keep together - the only thing being that some sets I will partially disassemble to put in storage to make more shelf space for new sets - but some will be there permanently, like Ghostbuster's Ecto-1 and modular buildings. I've had some creator houses on display for at least 10 years, but I may pack them up because I have a renewed interest in building, but won't unless I have somewhere to put the new things.

I've also had the original four architecture buildings on display (in a shadow box) at my office since 2009.

So... I guess it just depends on you.

For most models/sets leaving them out should be fine. In some cases (particularly with older sets/parts) some of the pieces can and do crack, one example would be the light grey and dark grey 1 x 1 slopes from about 6 years ago. Most of mine that I had on built up sets developed a crack along the top, they are still usable though.

So, in the end it depends on what set it is and your personal preferences.

Some sets I have bought because they are great as the designer designed them and those stay on a shelf for display, other sets I buy for the parts so they normally get built once then parted out. Some parts have cracked but from first usage and not due to time as far as I can tell. Personal preference all the way.

I've had my 7662 MTT and my Sandcrawler built for 5 or 6 years now, I believe, as well as my Space Police Hyperspeed Pursuit, though only the Skull Twin vehicle, since 2009.

Then there's also three Rock Raiders sets - Rapid Rider, Chrome Crusher and Loader Dozer - of which the latter two have been assembled for nearly 9 or 10 years now, I think.

I also have my Alien Avenger set from the UFO theme sitting in a box, and it has stayed assembled for many years, and then there surely are some others too.

But most of my sets undergo a different fate - at one point, I'll need certain parts for a MOC, so I end up checking BrickLink to see if I've got any sets with the needed parts in them, or look around to see if any of my sets have the parts that I require, so I take off a few pieces... and then some more...

And so the picking-it-apart-until-there's-nothing-left process begins!

I thought this thread was going to be about people staying together due to LEGO addiction....

I thought exactly the same thing. :laugh:

Edited by General Magma

My 5510 is on display since 1986. Is doesn't seem to have undergone negative effects from this. The clutch power is normal. But maybe the quality of 1986 parts is higher than today's parts.