Sign in to follow this  
LucasLaughing

[Sone Ep VIII] The suns will come out tomorrow

Tatooine.

Sh*t.

I can't believe I'm back on Tatooine. I've been here a month now, waiting for a mission.

17360044932_1296322549_c.jpg

'Here' is a sprawling warren of repair bays and maintenance shops, a little southeast of Mos Espa. There are stormtroopers at all the entrances and exits, but inside it's a decidedly non-military atmosphere. If I had to guess, I'd say this is an ISB facility.

The folks I work with seem to fall into one of two categories: there are broken, tired looking soldiers, waiting for the Empire to figure out what to do with them, and then there are extremely skilled technicians and mechanics who were born the wrong gender, or species.

17361964795_1bcaaca494_c.jpg

Or both. I'm not sure what planet Nejj is from, but she can repair or rewire anything that uses electricity, and she's absolutely fearless when it comes to heights. If she were human, and male, she'd be running this entire facility; instead, she's sweating away with the rest of us grunts in the shops.

17154493887_ccb9dcb16d_c.jpg

The repair bays themselves hold a wide variety of craft, from landspeeders to military walkers, (a surprising number of them are filled with V-wings being refurbished). My task, for the past three weeks, has been a pod racer.

17335996056_1889ce9c68_c.jpg

Why does the Galactic Empire need a souped-up pod racer? We can guess, but the first thing you learn working for the ISB is not to ask too many questions.

The hours are long and the work is hard, which is good; the last thing I need is time to think.

17174375910_c079f5066b_c.jpg

For a while it looked like we were going to miss our deadline for finishing the pod racer, but a sandstorm blew up at the last minute and the race was pushed back two weeks so that they'd have time to repair the damage and clear the sand out of the viewing area. The Jawa word for sandstorm is "Shug-Nubbuth," which translates literally into "The Tooth Cloud." Supposedly the wind-blown sand can reduce a bantha to bones in less than an hour. We all ended up sleeping here in the barracks for two nights - it was too dangerous to travel. I was worried that, without my nightly medication (the distilled, Corellian type) the nightmares would be back. Luckily, some of the officers here had liquor stashes that rivaled my own, and I have enough combat pay saved up that I could afford the inflated prices they were charging.

17154472007_6a2f099d11_c.jpg

We finished the right engine and assembled the racer last night, just a few hours before deadline. I'm not sure what our next project will be. I'm not sure how long I'll be here. I'll worry about tomorrow if it comes.

That engine is really impressive. I think seeing so many other builds that I made my engine far too small. Oh well, live and learn.

The backdrop of the workshop is nice in that it is interesting but not too interesting to be distracting. I also like the incorporation of the deadline pushback into the story. :wink:

You got some really cool shots. The engine has a great shape, color, and feel. Sooooo many details and they all look great. The title is funny, too, bet your bottom dollar.

Wow, that's pretty sweet!

Great work, I love that engine you've created.

Great one!

Thanks guys!

That engine is really impressive. I think seeing so many other builds that I made my engine far too small. Oh well, live and learn.

The backdrop of the workshop is nice in that it is interesting but not too interesting to be distracting. I also like the incorporation of the deadline pushback into the story. :wink:

Thanks! Pod Racers are weird because there's such a huge range of engine sizes; I initially worried mine was too big, but after looking at wookiepedia and watching the pre-race 'procession' scene from Ep 1, I realized they just run the gamut from huge to tiny. Also, I was grateful for the extension so I figured I'd work it into the story a bit :classic:

You got some really cool shots. The engine has a great shape, color, and feel. Sooooo many details and they all look great. The title is funny, too, bet your bottom dollar.

Thanks Goatman! I spent a long time (probably too long) building and rebuilding the engine, trying to make it look plausible (the Star Wars cutaway book definitely came in handy) so I'm glad you guys dig it. The title was a last minute idea; although my girlfriend remains deeply skeptical, I'm convinced that the answers to many of life's questions can be found in musicals :classic:

Love that yellow! All the details are amazing in this build. Your work bay has a perfect feel, those doors are a great part use, the pod engine is perfect, and your story is incredible. Great work!

Love that yellow! All the details are amazing in this build. Your work bay has a perfect feel, those doors are a great part use, the pod engine is perfect, and your story is incredible. Great work!

Thanks Josh! I had a lot of fun with this build ... I just wish I had enough parts to make a second engine and complete the racer :classic: