I came across this a while ago at work, as we often scour what the competition is doing

Our response was not as impressive, but for sure it was more 'elegant/catchy'

So, has anyone attempted to replicate Liebherr's feat with his/her 8043?

Some of these construction machines have enough power to tear themselves apart.

I don't think 8043 has the power/weight ratio to do something like that, and it's probably too heavy for the LAs and even the boom itself to hold. I think the only reasonable way to do this in Lego would be to have a pneumatic excavator with an external power supply, kind of like Jennifer Clark's little JCB.

But, seeing this reminded me of a bunch of other construction vehicle stunts:

All of these would be much easier, and quite possibly more impressive, in my opinion. Not that the Liebherr stunt wasn't awesome.

I can't help but notice that second video in the first post is unfinished. Where's the rest?

Speaking of precision, can your 9398, sorry 9396 do this?

Edited by Sariel

Sariel I have seen that video before and sadly it doesn't go any further, maybe because it was on a german tv show.

@Sariel My 9398 can't do that because it has wheels! I think you meant 9396? Would be pretty cool if a monster truck managed to open a beer though

Edited by Nalyd997

An 8043 retro-fitted with L motors will drag its own weight up a fair way (use the edge of a sofa or something where the bucket will grip). It only just manages it though - on the limit for both motor torque + LA clutches when I tried it.

Edited by andythenorth

An 8043 retro-fitted with L motors will drag its own weight up a fair way (use the edge of a sofa or something where the bucket will grip). It only just manages it though - on the limit for both motor torque + LA clutches when I tried it.

+1

This is why hydrostatic power is so widely used in those machines, as it has the highest possible ratio power/weight (or size).

Edited by DrJB

This is why hydrostatic power is so widely used in those machines, as it has the highest possible ratio power/weight (or size).

I figured it was because you could route it pretty much anywhere with little trouble and it was easier to seal against leakage than pneumatics?

Compressing air is quite easy, you can even buy a container of compressed air in your local wallmart. Compressed oil isn't so easily accomplished. Also oils ability to maintain its density when temperature changes is a big plus for accuracy.