TheBrickPal

LEGO Dimensions Discussion

I remember watching in a gameplay video that you need someone with Super Strength(Cole,Cragger,Cyborg,etc) to get past an object.....

*Sigh*

On A different note, I have decided to wait until Black Friday to see if there are any sales. An one else going to do this?

*Sigh*

On A different note, I have decided to wait until Black Friday to see if there are any sales. An one else going to do this?

Maybe not Black Friday, but I do want some of these, so I will indeed wait for some form of sales.

I'm honestly going to get the

*Sigh*

I actually pre ordered everything I want from the first wave except the Starter Pack and was planning to get the actual game then.

Keep in mind that Lego has had some crazy demand issues as of recent (Jurassic World, Scooby Doo, Research Institute). Excluding DC (as their regular Lego sets are widely available), it would be wise to go purchase any, if not all, of the licensed Dimensions Packs on Day 1!

For those checking at home, that's:

Wave 1 (September 27th, 2015):

• Back to the Future Level Pack
  • The Simpsons Level Pack
  • Portal 2 Level Pack
  • Jurassic World Team Pack
  • Scooby-Doo Team Pack
  • Wicked Witch of the West Fun Pack

Wave 2 (November 3rd, 2015):

• Doctor Who Level Pack
  • Bart Simpson Fun Pack
  • Krusty the Clown Fun Pack
  • Unikitty Fun Pack*

Wave 3: (January 19th, 2016)

• Ghostbusters Level Pack
  • DC Villain Team Pack**
  • Doc Brown Fun Pack
  • Cyberman Fun Pack

Wave 4: (March 31st, 2016):

• Stay Puft Fun Pack

Wave 5: (May 31st, 2016):

• Slimer Fun Pack

*This version of Unikitty is unique to this set (new face), at the lowest price point a normal (not sitting) Unikitty has been available. Expect an easier time finding this one compared to the others, but still.

**This is the cheapest set Harley Quinn and the Joker have ever been available in. This set is a steal. Not to mention the fact that you get two of some of the coolest, and well known Comic Book villains that have come to exist.

Note: Be wary of the appeal of Wonder Woman, Benny the Spaceman, Superman, and Bane.

Due to my past experience with "Toys-2-Life," it's always the popular characters that sell first. Being well stocked is not an issue, as this is one of the most hyped up games of the year. They will sell out ASAP.

Edited by Penkid11

But how much would a LEGO collector expect to be paying for the LEGO in a £15 LD Fun Pack? They have about 50 pieces and a Minifigure and I've looked at the Star Wars Microfighters sets and these are about £9 for 100 pieces and a MF. The Scooby-Doo sets roughly work out at about £10 for 100 and a MF. So I'd value the LEGO in a Fun Pack at about £7, would that be a price you would pay for MF Batman and Mini Batmobile?

Do movie licenses normally increase the cost of LEGO or is a themed pack priced the same as a LEGO own theme?

Is the number of pieces info on LEGO pack inclusive of MF's?

Do the type of bricks influence price? Do sets with more intricate pieces normally cost more?

Does the 3-1 'buildability' of the vehicles and gadgets increase how much you are prepared to pay? I mean, if you knew that a SW Microfighter came with instructions for three different configurations, would you expect to pay extra?

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the site!

1. Americans aspire to a magic ratio of 10c per part for non-licenced sets. UK pricing probably means 10p per part is a reasonable deal. Someone British may have better information there. So, someone buying a pack entirely for the Lego is probably paying triple. Ouch.

2. They do. This is the first time (?) TLG is offering both licenced & original products in the same line, and at the same price point. I don't know if the licenced packs have less parts or if the original (non licenced) packs are just relatively "overpriced".

3. Don't believe so.

4. We don't know for sure, but speculate that various part size and therefore total mass influences the price more than part count... who knows

5. I don't know if the price goes up because of the development for a 3-in-1 or if the price is based more on the substance, and therefore the added builds ADD to the value-for-money (or alleviate the lack of it)

Yes, welcome aboard!

If our good Artanis will forgive me, I respectfully disagree at least partially with one answer, and entirely with another:

2. They do. This is the first time (?) TLG is offering both licenced & original products in the same line, and at the same price point. I don't know if the licenced packs have less parts or if the original (non licenced) packs are just relatively "overpriced".

Well... it's not that simple. There's a longstanding belief held by many that licensed sets cost more, and it's true some of the most expensive sets in recent memory have been licensed ones, but those sets were also huge, and serious attempts at breaking down value for dollars (or pounds, Euros, whatever) aren't so conclusive as the comfortably assured conventional wisdom. I can certainly find examples of Star Wars sets, for example, that offer better value than same-priced non-licensed sets available around the same time.

3. Don't believe so.

Piece counts include minifigures? Oh, they certainly do. One can easily verify by looking at the piece counts on sets consisting largely or even entirely of minifigures.

The Minifigures line (with a capital "M" - the blind-bagged ones, commonly referred to around here as "collectible minifigures" or "CMFs") doesn't use piece counts, but that's because each package contains one of a number of different minifigures with varying piece counts.

Well... it's not that simple. There's a longstanding belief held by many that licensed sets cost more, and it's true some of the most expensive sets in recent memory have been licensed ones, but those sets were also huge, and serious attempts at breaking down value for dollars (or pounds, Euros, whatever) aren't so conclusive as the comfortably assured conventional wisdom. I can certainly find examples of Star Wars sets, for example, that offer better value than same-priced non-licensed sets available around the same time.

Piece counts include minifigures? Oh, they certainly do. One can easily verify by looking at the piece counts on sets consisting largely or even entirely of minifigures.

The Minifigures line (with a capital "M" - the blind-bagged ones, commonly referred to around here as "collectible minifigures" or "CMFs") doesn't use piece counts, but that's because each package contains one of a number of different minifigures with varying piece counts.

Since we don't have piece counts on our boxes I was guessing with a bad memory... so that's a bit disappointing. :look: I may have been thinking of online inventories, maybe they are different from box declarations.

But licenced sets are priced higher for the most part. All you have to do is have a look down the Lego aisle to see how much cheaper City, in-house action themes, space & castle sets are than the equivalent sets from pretty much every licence. I think I heard though that the difference is less in USA than elsewhere. And yes, there are exceptions to this rule.

So let's go further off topic a bit with some data: the following (non- Juniors, Duplo, Technic etc) 34 sets are $39.99 AUD on S@H: http://shop.lego.com/en-AU/catalog/productListing.jsp?_requestid=1708991

The part count for non-licenced sets is 250-300 in most cases. The part count for licenced sets is 180-230 in most cases. I can't see anything there that could account for such a difference on average, like all licenced sets having enormous parts, all non-licenced sets having 100 cheese slopes etc... it seems 6 of one, 1/2 a dozen of the other. The minifig count doesn't seem to be a factor either.

I think it's fairly clear that you get less ABS for your money in licenced sets.

Thanks for the answers, much appreciated.

Its difficult to put an individual value on the expansion packs because of the change in value after an initial purchase, which has the massive added value of unlocking the Brand Adventure World. Leaving out the cost of the Starter Pack and looking at each brand as an individual game,if I assume the Ninjago releases so far announced will be a standard for all brands;

5 Fun Packs x £15 250 pieces

1 Team Pack x £25 100 pieces

1 Level Pack (TBA) x £30 100 pieces

That would be £130 for 450 bricks and 8 minifigures. So I'd estimate £45-£60 for the LEGO and toy tag tech content if purchasing as a standard LEGO set. I can cope with top end valuation of £60 for the LEGO content as being comparable with other LEGO products.

That values the video game content of;

a Branded Adventure World

extra ("minature") story levels

3-1 vehicles/gadgets in game ability

differing abilities of characters

at £70. I have a pretty good yardstick for value of an Open World Tt LEGO game in LEGO City Undercover, and that cost me £50*. So should I expect 50% extra of the scope of LCU for each brand?. That would be a big ask, all those gold bricks, super builds (or LD equivalent?) , pigs to rescue and so on, so I think it's unlikely that these 'hubs' will be that expansive.

So there seems to be at least £20 worth of value that we can't account for in the LEGO Dimensions Expansion Packs. Of course, it's still 6 weeks until launch and LEGO & Tt could yet announce more features and content.

All in all, I don't think LD is too far away from providing real value for money in spite of the mystery £20. Thats looking at physical and virtual content compared to thier nearest available equivalents. Even if there is no more to the game than already seen, or that we can guess from how Tt games usually work, I am fairly comfortable with the price I'm paying for a quality collectable toy and well developed, highly playable, expandable, astonishingly beautiful looking and fun video game.

(*As a Wii U owner I automatically lose out because our games usually cost £10 less then Xbox and PS equivalents, but we pay the same for LD,so to be fair I'd value LCU at £50 not £40.)

Anyone else glad about the "Scale" thing on the toy pad? Minifigure scale Stay Pufff Marshmallow Man...

Edited by LegoPercyJ

Thanks for the answers, much appreciated.

Its difficult to put an individual value on the expansion packs because of the change in value after an initial purchase, which has the massive added value of unlocking the Brand Adventure World. Leaving out the cost of the Starter Pack and looking at each brand as an individual game,if I assume the Ninjago releases so far announced will be a standard for all brands;

5 Fun Packs x £15 250 pieces

1 Team Pack x £25 100 pieces

1 Level Pack (TBA) x £30 100 pieces

That would be £130 for 450 bricks and 8 minifigures. So I'd estimate £45-£60 for the LEGO and toy tag tech content if purchasing as a standard LEGO set. I can cope with top end valuation of £60 for the LEGO content as being comparable with other LEGO products.

That values the video game content of;

a Branded Adventure World

extra ("minature") story levels

3-1 vehicles/gadgets in game ability

differing abilities of characters

at £70. I have a pretty good yardstick for value of an Open World Tt LEGO game in LEGO City Undercover, and that cost me £50*. So should I expect 50% extra of the scope of LCU for each brand?. That would be a big ask, all those gold bricks, super builds (or LD equivalent?) , pigs to rescue and so on, so I think it's unlikely that these 'hubs' will be that expansive.

So there seems to be at least £20 worth of value that we can't account for in the LEGO Dimensions Expansion Packs. Of course, it's still 6 weeks until launch and LEGO & Tt could yet announce more features and content.

All in all, I don't think LD is too far away from providing real value for money in spite of the mystery £20. Thats looking at physical and virtual content compared to thier nearest available equivalents. Even if there is no more to the game than already seen, or that we can guess from how Tt games usually work, I am fairly comfortable with the price I'm paying for a quality collectable toy and well developed, highly playable, expandable, astonishingly beautiful looking and fun video game.

(*As a Wii U owner I automatically lose out because our games usually cost £10 less then Xbox and PS equivalents, but we pay the same for LD,so to be fair I'd value LCU at £50 not £40.)

I too am confident that it will be good value for money and have pre-ordered all the level and team packs as well as some fun packs. It combines my love for lego, video games and some cool licences into one experience! That premise is good enough for me, conventional wisdom dictating one should wait for the reviews. I suspect it will deliver amd otherwise at least I have a front row seat for one of the greatest modern failiures in the toys and entertainment business ;-)

I own all three consoles, will likely buy it on the xbone for the simple fact that my Girls' Disney Infinity is using up a USB port on the ps4.

On a side note, to whomever is interested, it must be stated that the Wii U's Lego City Undercover is an exceptional game. It is a true classic, the best Tt LEGO game and very much underrated. If Dimensions is only half as good it will already be fantastic.

So five packs still to be announced...

Total cost based on Amazon for all packs - including a PS4 Starter pack = £764.63 (UK Price) Ouch!

Nearly a grand when all is said and done form Completionists ... and that's just wave 1!

Love the Ghostbuster pack. Its getting to starting to pick what I want time and Staypuff is pretty close to the top of that list right now!

This is not quite accurate. SERIES 1 will consist of 3 waves releasing in September, November and January. The total price of all 3 WAVES together will lokely be around the figure you have calculated. But at least - on a slight positive note - you get to spread tour thousand dollars over a period of 4 months.

I base this on the lego Dimensions Wiki, presume it is correct?

This is not quite accurate. SERIES 1 will consist of 3 waves releasing in September, November and January.

Actually, there are 5 waves of Series 1.

Wave 1 (September 27th) consists of 5 variants of Starter Packs, 3 Level Packs, 2 Team Packs, and 15 Fun Packs

Wave 2 (November) and 3 (January) each consists of 1 Level Pack, 1 Team Pack, and 3 Fun Packs

Wave 4 (March) consists of 4 Fun Packs

Wave 5 (May) consists of 3 Fun Packs

Edited by Penkid11

Actually, there are 5 waves of Series 1.

Wave 1 (September 27th) consists of 5 variants of Starter Packs, 3 Level Packs, 2 Team Packs, and 15 Fun Packs

Wave 2 (November) and 3 (January) each consists of 1 Level Pack, 1 Team Pack, and 3 Fun Packs

Wave 4 (March) consists of 4 Fun Packs

Wave 5 (May) consists of 3 Fun Packs

You're right, I forgot the fun packs of wave 4 and 5. So that means the completionist investment of roughly 1000 usd/euro for all of the Dimensions sets is spread over 9 months. Probably series 2 will release in september 2016 (providing it is a success). So there's a year to recover from the dent in your bank account :-)

You're right, I forgot the fun packs of wave 4 and 5. So that means the completionist investment of roughly 1000 usd/euro for all of the Dimensions sets is spread over 9 months. Probably series 2 will release in september 2016 (providing it is a success). So there's a year to recover from the dent in your bank account :-)

That seems likely enough! The May release of the 5th wave makes it so that TT can offer a big E3 reveal of what's up next.

Also, keep in mind that, when it comes to Disney's properties, if Lego Dimensions is a phenomenal success, you know that Disney, heck even Activision and (maybe) Nintendo, would gladly sell over some IPs to get just a bit of those profits!

That seems likely enough! The May release of the 5th wave makes it so that TT can offer a big E3 reveal of what's up next.

Also, keep in mind that, when it comes to Disney's properties, if Lego Dimensions is a phenomenal success, you know that Disney, heck even Activision and (maybe) Nintendo, would gladly sell over some IPs to get just a bit of those profits!

I can definitely see Nintendo letting LEGO use some of their properties, since they're already planning to include Donkey Kong and Bowser in a future version of Skylanders. It's being handled in a pretty cool way, too, since those two figures can "switch" from working as Skylanders figures to working as Amiibo just by rotating the base. Granted, those two are only going to be compatible with the Wii U version of the game, and I'm not sure if WB Games would be as keen on introducing platform-exclusive characters to LEGO Dimensions.

Haha! I'm glad to see they haven't abandoned the "chain of delivery" videos focusing on different franchises, as I'd feared they had. I hope we get a Doctor Who one. A Ghostbusters one would be awesome, but given that Peter Venkman will apparently be voiced not by Bill Murray but by Frank Welker, I'm guessing it won't happen. Ah, well.

Nice to see our first glimpse of Midway material! I really want to play LEGO-y Joust, Defender and Robotron 2084 in this.

Not sure if anyone noticed this... or will care.. but...

6585213.jpg

Here we see Chell with a blue oral gun and the the Sentry Turret with the red lighsaber blades attached to the back.

1252106.jpg

(From FBTB) Here, we see them attached to the front. Where they were, we see an orange part popping out... Probably to switch from blue portal gun to orange portal gun.

8605139.png

(Also, The turret is a vehicle? Weird.)

*Sigh*

I think it's a bad idea to wait till Black Friday for Lego Dimensions, because I am predicting the situation will be like amiibo, where everything gets sold out on the week of launch, and it doesn't get restocked for multiple months, or stores will run out of shelf space from Disney Infinity and Skylanders that they won't have space for Lego Dimensions and the packs.

Yeah, I wouldn't wait till black Friday to get stuff, not sure how it is over there in the US but here in the UK its like a riot!

And it just occurred to me, would you get VIP points with all the dimensions products.

I think it's a bad idea to wait till Black Friday for Lego Dimensions, because I am predicting the situation will be like amiibo, where everything gets sold out on the week of launch, and it doesn't get restocked for multiple months, or stores will run out of shelf space from Disney Infinity and Skylanders that they won't have space for Lego Dimensions and the packs.

Yeah, I wouldn't wait till black Friday to get stuff, not sure how it is over there in the US but here in the UK its like a riot!

And it just occurred to me, would you get VIP points with all the dimensions products.

Good point.

It's madness over here the US,back when the PS3 released,Walmart had a limited supply and had people form a line to get them instead. But then,people started getting rowdy ,a lady lost her wig, people were injured,it was total chaos then.

Also on the same topic, is anyone else going to pre order everything that they want and then get the Starter Pack then on BF or is it just me?

Edited by cakio6203

It's madness over here the US,back when the PS3 released,Walmart had a limited supply and had people form a line to get them instead. But then,people started getting rowdy ,a lady lost her wig, people were injured,it was total chaos then.

Also on the same topic, is anyone else going to pre order everything that they want and then get the Starter Pack then on BF or is it just me?

Yeah thinking the same thing. The starter pack should be abundently available I am guessing so no worries there. It's all the rest that will sell out.

As long as you're buying them from a LEGO Brand Store or LEGO Shop at Home, you should get VIP points on them, just like anything else, unless it's different in the UK. Over here in the US, you get VIP points on anything you buy from them, even if it's stuff like mugs, calendars, books, wrapping paper, etc. (and, yes, videogames). If they give VIP points for those, I certainly can't imagine products containing actual LEGO bricks would be any different.

The only thing determining whether you'll get VIP points is where you make your purchase, not what you buy. You can drop ten thousand bucks on LEGO at Toy 'R' Us (which might be enough to cover three or even four sets :p ;) ), and not get s single VIP point, but buying anything at one of LEGO's own stores will get you points, regardless of exactly what sort of thing it is.

Somebody on Brickset has reported that the Starter Pack is out at a Target in California.