Hinckley

New City Ideas Contest-discussion thread

The deadline is exactly shut your face, that's when! :-P

:'-( I was just asking a simple question and you have to go and give a girl a hard time and stuff. :-$ :-/ >:-( *slams the door*

:'-( I was just asking a simple question and you have to go and give a girl a hard time and stuff. :-$ :-/ >:-( *slams the door*

The deadline is midnight US Central Time Zone on the 17th of September, 2007.

Can I advertise in your sig that imperialshadows has a butt for a face? *sweet*

The deadline is midnight US Central Time Zone on the 17th of September, 2007.

Can I advertise in your sig that imperialshadows has a butt for a face? *sweet*

No, you may not. >:-( I could, however, mention that you wish I did :-P

We'd better stop this now or we'll end up with a Hinckley vs imperialshadows thread, and I'm not in the mood for chocolate pudding, or what passes for it around here. I also don't have the head to your standard sigfig. Sometimes I worry that I should have picked a more difficult one for me...

BTW, Sinner, I meant your photo quality is looking incredibly. You are definitely doing something right in the picture-taking arena. Nice! *sweet* *y*

BTW, Sinner, I meant your photo quality is looking incredibly. You are definitely doing something right in the picture-taking arena. Nice! *sweet* *y*

Thanks! I have been trying. I wasn't 100% happy with these though as the white top is blending into the white background... :-/

So, does anyone have a specific camera recommendation, just in case I'm stupid enough to go try to buy a new one today?

Yes, that's right, it's 7am and I was getting all set to try to take pictures of the very heavily modified version of my Chinese restaurant (it isn't great, but I'm not unhappy with it) and all my camera wants to display is horizontal lines that get brighter and brighter until they fill the whole screen in a glowing white field of nothing.

I turned it on for 5 minutes last night and it looked perfectly fine, except for low battery. Now, fresh batteries and lines. Tried plugging it in to the AC adapter, same thing.

It was a PDC640 (piece of damn crap, I'm sure that stood for). I checked the online guide to it and they don't mention this particular problem. I'm still playing with it, but I don't know what to try, it isn't exactly user servicable.

>:-( :'-( >:-( *n* *skull*

So, does anyone have a specific camera recommendation, just in case I'm stupid enough to go try to buy a new one today?

My advice is;

1. Spend around 300-500 USD. Cameras less that 300 USD generally are made far cheaper (for example plastic body rather than metal) and often don't include accessories that you will want to buy anyway. (Cables, batteries, software etc.)

2. Make sure that the camera comes with a battery pack and charger. Preferably a Lithium Ion battery. If not take that into consideration when comparing prices.

3. 3-5 Mega pixels is all the resolution you will need unless you have a really good lens. Be sure that the resolution is in Mega Pixels, not "Effective" or "Interpolated". These fancy words simply mean that the camera expands the picture via processing and thus the resolution is often 1-2 Mega Pixels less.

4. Make sure that the camera has a 3x zoom lens minimum. 2x is not enough (my old one was like that) and digital zoom is worthless. (I leave it off!) Too much zoom can be bad if you don't want it due to lens distortion, and make sure the camera has a macro mode.

5. Don’t worry about what memory comes with the camera; unless it includes 128MB+ (most don't) you will want to buy more memory.

6. If you want to use the camera for movies as well be sure that it has a microphone and a decent speaker.

7. My camera is a Sony DSC-S75 with 11500 images on the clock. Stats are (bought in 2001) are 3.3 Mega Pixel CCD and 3x Optical zoom Carl Zeiss lens (made in Germany). (Bought for around $750 USD at the time.) The lens makes the camera which is why it is still a good camera. I have no plans to replace it.

My advice is;

... excellent, and probably the dose of reality I needed to knock me out of the delusion that I'm going to buy one today.

I won't think twice about dropping that on LEGO, but I get so little use out of a camera anymore that it hardly seems worth it. I only bought it back when I sold on eBay regularly and knew I needed some kind of pictures. It served that purpose well, but never was suited for LEGO.

I think I spent $150 on it, plastic body, no zoom, no lens capacity, no charging, AA batteries and an adapter for "plugged in" use. Despite the name, I don't even think it really took 640x400 pics, or I'm a really bad photographer because I always had to size everything down to get it to not look grainy.

Thanks for the great and detailed advice, I know it'll help when I'm ready to make the purchase. I'll definitely keep an eye open for a deal, but until then, I'm out of the picture game I guess.

Sorry Hinckley, I'm particularly annoyed and disappointed to have finally gotten this thing built into something I could be happy with and not be able to show it. I know digital models are allowed, but entering the original Chinese restaurant wouldn't be fair, it's basically impossible to build as I've discovered (and would cost a ridiculous amount).

Since I can't post it in the entry thread, I will at least give a small summary.

The first story is identical to the original except with a black overhanging roof instead of red. All brickwork throughout the model is in dark red, all wooden accents are standard red. Dark red is a pain to get in quantity (I built this whole thing out of 1x2's and 1x6's, I never did manage to get any 1x4's). I did pick up a lot of 1x1 rounds in dark red, and 1x1 tiles and 1x4 tiles in it as well, so everything that can use them does.

The entire left side of the building is gone, replaced with a fancy side entrance complete with a Chinese arched entryway, old style red fence and swinging gates, bamboo in the corners, a white fountain with fish topper, Chinese lanterns on each of the 4 corner posts and parrots on 3 of the posts inbetween. A crouching cat on the last post, dead center of the back fence between the lanterns and behind the fountain. Two windows (red train windows of all things) and a door on the side facing the fancy entrance, plus 4 hanging flags (Adventurers Orient design) attached by black handle plates that make up part of a solid black line running along both the left and right side of the building. A red delivery bicycle is parked against the wall (wanted to do a 6-wide typically designed black sports car, but didn't have time). The delivery boy is opening the gate to leave as a family is approaching the door. The family consists of a suited father with briefcase, an I'm-not-sure-how-to-describe-it dressed mother (in dark blue) and their daughter (or a midget!) in a paradisa flowered shirt and medium blue short legs. The hostess (Jing Lee with a different head and black Mary Jane hair) is greeting them at the door.

Around the front of the building, the owner, an elderly man with a long beard, is sweeping, a trashcan sitting to his side. He's sort of an homage to the owner of Cafe Corner doing the same thing. A half barrel of flowers sit beside the front door.

The right side is just 3 windows and more flags, it isn't really intended to be a particularly visible portion of the building, but it is consistant with the design.

Directly above the overhanging roof is a tower similar to the original one, except using 60's era windows (1x2x1 red with glass). Instead of the pointy roof, however, it stops before the top slope and goes flat. On that flat surface sits a classic castle era black dragon, with fire. The restaurant is locally known as the Black Dragon, though officially it would have some other name if I'd actually tried printing something to attach to the front.

The front and back of the building are straight walls with red slopes on the other two sides going to the flat black roof, which sits below and behind the tower. On the roof is a jet engine serving as a ventilation unit (pretty effective), a couple of greeblie bits to represent other roof equipment, an orange crate, a chest, 2 covered barrels, all of which the health department kept telling them to move until they bribed the guy.

The back wall is literally solid. I just walled the whole thing up, but in such a way that it can be removed. The black roof and tower are also removable, revealing the entire inside of the restaurant. Don't get excited, it's empty except for a basic wall to seperate the kitchen from the dining area.

Lamp post out front, never got around to a mailbox or fire hydrant but intended to. Fully tiled sidewalk compatible with Cafe Corner (but no side technic pins for attachment). Whole thing sits of 2 16x32 dark bley baseplates.

In all, a total of 6 minifigs: 3 male, 3 female. 5 adults and a child (or midget!), 1 red parrot, 1 pink bird, 1 blue bird, 1 crouching white cat, 1 fish (bley), 1 black dragon with fire wings.

Add a little minifig me with a big frown that he can't enter this. :'-(

This is a hight level contest... So nice entries...

The choice will be hard...

Imperialshadows- at least put a thread the MOC's section and show us the digital renders of your chinese restaurant.

No possibility of borrowing a camera?

Imperialshadows- at least put a thread the MOC's section and show us the digital renders of your chinese restaurant.

No possibility of borrowing a camera?

When I do replace my camera, I'll definitely post the whole thing in MOC's, but I can't imagine plotting the whole thing out for a digital render. I'm so sick of Chinese restaurants now I don't even want to go to a real one :-X

Here is the gallery for the original one that I refuse to enter since it isn't really buildable (I sure couldn't, and I tried before reworking the whole thing). Best estimate I had made it more expensive than Cafe Corner, because of the colour and part selection. Not the greatest planning in the world.

Brickshelf Gallery

chinatown_1.jpg_thumb.jpg

chinatown_2.jpg_thumb.jpg

(anyone know how to make this post small images next to each other instead of down the page?)

As for borrowing a camera, not that I can think of. Best I could manage would be unviewable cell phone pics (not even mine, I despise the things).

I'm just sorry for saying I'd enter, spamming up the thread, and then having to crap out like this. :'-(

Annoyingly, after taking my photos yesterday, I found today a piece that I was trying to find all week. Darn.

Here is the gallery for the original one that I refuse to enter since it isn't really buildable (I sure couldn't, and I tried before reworking the whole thing). Best estimate I had made it more expensive than Cafe Corner, because of the colour and part selection. Not the greatest planning in the world.

I'd just like to say that I see no reason why this can't be entered. We already have one digital entry after all. But I believe it is Hinckley's call. 8-|

(anyone know how to make this post small images next to each other instead of down the page?)

Yep. Don't hit enter after each image. *sweet*

When I do replace my camera, I'll definitely post the whole thing in MOC's, but I can't imagine plotting the whole thing out for a digital render. I'm so sick of Chinese restaurants now I don't even want to go to a real o

...blah blah blah wah wah wah...

I'm just sorry for saying I'd enter, spamming up the thread, and then having to crap out like this. :'-(

Enter it! >:-( Don't make me tell you twice!

Last day to get your entries in! Build build build! Enter enter enter! Yay!!! X-D Get those entries in or new pictures of your entry with that one part you've been missing :-|

Great entries in this contest! I'm really excited to see how it turns out.

I think I should leave it as one category, what does anyone else think?

I agree Hinckie ;-)

There are no perfect solutions but we don't have enough entries to sub categorize IMO.

Yes all the entries entered so far are really fantastic !!

BTW I forgot to congratulate Gyl for his freakingmy amazing MOC 8-

It doesn't seem to me that there are enough entries to subdivide into categories.

Or since restaurant was the commonest idea, maybe "food related" vs "non-food related". :-D

/kidding.

p.s. Thanks Yoda, I appreciate it... all those years of collecting Belville parts finally put to use.

Perhaps ships and non ships? :-P If not, I think one category would be cool. *sweet*

Last day to get your entries in! Build build build! Enter enter enter! Yay!!! X-D Get those entries in or new pictures of your entry with that one part you've been missing :-|

Sorry.. I won't make it. :'-(

Sad On

Thank you for the feedback Hinckley and Sinner! I'm flattered you guys liked my entry :-$

Imperialshadows, I would enter the restaurant anyway, it's very awesome.

Sorry imperialshadows, your entry is 45 minutes late for the deadline. Contest closed for entries. :-P

Just kidding, of course! :-D I will put the poll up for this tomorrow. Right now I am trying to finish up issue three of a certain comic...

Sorry imperialshadows, your entry is 45 minutes late for the deadline. Contest closed for entries. :-P

Just kidding, of course! :-D I will put the poll up for this tomorrow. Right now I am trying to finish up issue three of a certain comic...

I've got your poll right here, buddy, right HERE! (Thanks :'-) )

Woohoo! Not the contest, issue 3! I *wub* the comic. Heck, I should put it in my sig too!

You know, Sinner's no-enter trick worked so well that I may do something new in my sig. Small banners for the contests. Not those huge ones people make, but just big enough to show what they are and serve as a reminder/link. 3 across, 3 or 4 down, wouldn't be any bigger than now really.

Speaking of which, be sure to read the interview with the interviewer, you were prominently mentioned, of course. >:-)

Imperialshadow, it's great that you entered, and your building is really very nice - I could easily imagine a row of similar houses in some of the backstreets of my own city's chinatown. I need to build a CC style building at some point, and there are great ideas there.

Really, it's been great seeing the variety of stuff people put together - no two alike and really original ideas. Thanks for putting the contest together Hinckie.

Really, it's been great seeing the variety of stuff people put together - no two alike and really original ideas. Thanks for putting the contest together Hinckie.

Its been a great contest and I'm already planning for my revenge >:-) Yeay after all the so detailed entries, I really need to do a lot better (tks Gyl >:-( :-D ) !!

Sequel On !!

*yoda*

LOL. Thanks Yoda. I'll look forward to it.

But I expect to be busy in the next 6 months putting back together all the sets that I plundered to create that diner. The collector in me nearly died making that MOC, but the builder in me had a good time for sure.

I really think that the Brickshelf crisis had a good impact, on me at least. As I was saving directories furiously back in July I saw so many great things that I had never seen before, or forgotten about, which really was an inspiration to try to do a good job with the town themed buildings.

But I expect to be busy in the next 6 months putting back together all the sets that I plundered to create that diner. The collector in me nearly died making that MOC, but the builder in me had a good time for sure.

You actually dismantled/plundered actuall sets to create your MOC ? Wow, I am too much of a collector to do that :-D

I always go to my spare parts which is good because I really want to keep my bar ;-) And when I need parts, I'l have to scavenger BL X-D

So good luk on rebuilding all the sets ;-)

*yoda*