Sign in to follow this  
Dorayaki

Disney minidolls into minifigs

Hi everyone.

It wouldn't be surprising to know that I keep working on things other than the Friends minifigures. As a continuation, I begin to work on other themes that originally use minidolls as their main character representives. Some of the Disney characters are iconic and popular over decades, and as result, many adult fans alongside with kids keep their love for the Disney icons. As long as minidolls are more for, mainly girls, and the younger generation, I believe some AFOLs would like to see some Disney minifigures. So I give it a try.

Currently I haven't made all Disney characters from the current range due to process reasons. I only show some occasionally after completing any of them.

And BTW, this thread doesn't have to be exclusive to my creations. If anyone could come up with a better version, sharings are welcome.

Elsa from Frozen

16597189886_cff8ba9720_z.jpg

16623151395_06cb2e01bd_z.jpg

Anna from Frozen

16622039591_a23dc3de2d_z.jpg

16622499382_b5c4a9ab45_z.jpg

Prince Charming from Cinderella

16623149345_b17ba33935_z.jpg

16622497202_8a451cbe5c_z.jpg

Ariel from The Little Mermaid

16188912174_d26f328df4.jpg

16810153021_3648faa038.jpg

Alana from The Little Mermaid

16603969317_8ba104b7d8.jpg

16623706248_1c4299ee72.jpg

Eric from The Little Mermaid

16623881280_07fe48aa92.jpg

16623706998_ca1c573bae.jpg

Jasmine from Aladdin

17066284262_7320d16379.jpg

16860350697_54ee26786c.jpg

Merida from Brave

16447614733_bfea31d507.jpg

17067750755_81b549b573.jpg

Aurora from Sleeping Beauty

16881539959_0c52e7c2b3.jpg

16860351967_0e10be9104.jpg

Group shoots

16435975708_1e37d95db4_z.jpg

16625141189_eb87dd350d_z.jpg

17066996511_940ec54413_z.jpg

Edited by Dorayaki

You did a great job, but now that I have something to compare it to, I think the minidoll works really well for Elsa. She's much too slender for the regular minifigure head. In general, it seems to me that the minidolls are better for females, and the minifigures are better for males. They've made some male minidolls, which look really weird to me. Your prince charming looks great.

I think the minifig Princesses look awesome! The existence of the minidolls has bugged me from the get-go, just because they're so dissimilar to our classic minifig. They're really stylistically incompatible, and that leads to this weird de facto segregation where there's Regular Lego World, with minifigs which are mostly male, and then Girly Lego World, with minidolls which are almost all female (and whose pets are far more cutesy-poo, and who have miraculously figured out how to mix pink, purple, and aqua paint).

No, Elsa in the movie doesn't look like a minifig. But nobody in any movie looks like a minifig (unless of course the movie is a Lego production where the characters are specifically designed that way). Normally it isn't a problem, because we chalk it up to a sort of visual translation. We don't mind that minifig!Superman has hips far wider than his shoulders and can't make a fist. We see past the trapezoidal shape of the minifig to the intended appearance of the character. Likewise, we shouldn't mind minifig!Princesses with blocky figures and thick necks.

The Little Mermaid Updated

You did a great job, but now that I have something to compare it to, I think the minidoll works really well for Elsa. She's much too slender for the regular minifigure head. In general, it seems to me that the minidolls are better for females, and the minifigures are better for males. They've made some male minidolls, which look really weird to me. Your prince charming looks great.

This is a tricky issue. The only thing I'm not happy about Disney minidolls is their lack of expression. Minifigures were never meant to be realistic or slender, and they only represent an image of characters. Minidolls look more elaborate, it's simply for a different use.

Some FOLs have opinions against waistlines drawn on torsos, so they probably wouldn't even accept giving minidolls to female characters, too. The other problem is, minidolls are made to be target at girls' market but not considered to represent any slender female character from all LEGO themes, which causes some visual conflicts between female minidolls&minifigures.

Male minidolls are fine with me. The thing I don't really like the inaccurate hairpieces for Disney guys.

Great job!

All your custom minifigures look perfect :classic: .

Thanx! :classic:

Should they not have the regular minifigure eyes? Great job other wise! I do prefair mini dolls in "girl" sets though.

It's okay, everyone has different taste. I only try to add colors to their eyes but keep their dot shapes. I think it could be too much to make them Exo-force-like. :tongue:

I think the minifig Princesses look awesome! The existence of the minidolls has bugged me from the get-go, just because they're so dissimilar to our classic minifig. They're really stylistically incompatible, and that leads to this weird de facto segregation where there's Regular Lego World, with minifigs which are mostly male, and then Girly Lego World, with minidolls which are almost all female (and whose pets are far more cutesy-poo, and who have miraculously figured out how to mix pink, purple, and aqua paint).

Thanx for supporting. I think LEGO do keep making both minidolls and minifigures better in their own individual way. It could be better if LEGO try to remove the segregation by any kind of method.

Nice! Elsa and Anna minidolls into minifigs reminds me of their appearance in Once Upon a Time.

Interesting. Some of the characters could be good references for minidolls/minifigures although it's probably not considered to be made by LEGO.

The hair that you used for Merida looks decent. Btw, the Merida that you made reminds me of this one except the dress and hair are perfect.

Edited by legofanatic12

These look cool. I've only seen about half of the movies referenced, but I especially like Jasmine, though I wish there were an accompanying Aladdin as well. What is that headpiece Jasmine has? Prince Charming looks great, too. I'm looking forward to whatever comes of these "Disney CMF-type series" rumors. (Though I hope there will be more of the Disney characters I know.) Have you made any more of these lately?

With a more "solid" colour they would look awsome! Now it looks like they where painted with a marker pen? Still they are great but with proper painting they would be even better! :thumbup:

can anybody show 9 more mini figures 71012?!!!

No. The images are confidential. Eurobricks wants to maintain a good relationship with Lego, and they've asked us not to share this photo. If members want to maintain a good relationship with EB staff, then they won't be sharing this image.