Lukasguy

Bricklinking UCS Imperial Star Destroyer

Looks fantastic!

A great project and a stunning result! congratulations on finishing it.

Great work Lukasguy, that looks really impressive!

Hopefully TLG will release a new version otherwise I might have to invest in some spray paint at some point! :laugh:

Thanks everyone. I just love looking at it. I love looking at it before I have to go somewhere :classic:

I'll update you with the final price when I have the small pieces for the sides.

Edited by Lukasguy

Since this is quite a big set with some rare parts I was wondering if someone has experience bricklinking it. Problem is: once I start the process I have to finish it.

Some problems and possible solutions:

- the magnets: can they be replaced by ball joints?

-The small lbg barrels (4424) have never been made,not even in the new verson with a hole in the bottom. Any alternatives?

- the 3 big hard plastic wheels (2573) are impossible to find for a reasonable price. Any alternatives?

- Can the spheres 30208 be replaced by the smooth ones and what base to use in stead of 30342?

- What alternative can be used for the trans blue dish 44375a? The b-version of this part was never produced in this color.

Any other rare parts or issues I have not mentioned?

Here is other topics around here about Bricklinking and MODding this set:

1. Link
  2. Link
  3. Link
  4. Link

Generally what you will find is that this set has great room for improving the design, and those parts that are ultra rare and extremely overpriced can be substituted with less expensive different colored ones and then spray painted to the desired color, or just swapped with different parts entirely.

Hope this helps :classic:

EDIT: Replaced fourth link since your topic was merged with it

Edited by LiLmeFromDaFuture

Link number 3 above has some great designs in it, and the engine mods would save you a lot of money.

I know people have tossed out the idea of using ball joints, and it may well be possible, but I don't recall seeing a thread with it actually done. Also problematic are the large snot plates that are extremely rare and expensive; people tend to forget about them. You also have the one half of the shield generators piece that are quite expensive as well. All in all, even with significant mods, it's still an expensive venture.

For what you would spend on the large amount of big plates, the shield generator pieces, magnets, technic bricks, engine wheels and etc. you'd be better off just buying the complete set used from someone. I considered bricklinking one and went through quite a few options and they all were much pricier than what I ended up doing(finding a complete one on bricklink for $800 USD.

I tried to Bricklink one a few years ago and gave up when I'd obtained around 50% of the parts, and finally realised that it would be cheaper to buy a used one! At the time I was planning to buy only new parts, but in hindsight if I'd chosen a few used it would have been possible for around the same amount. However, since then the cost of the parts you mention have become even more prohibitive, so I doubt that it's a viable project unless you want a challenge!

As you've seen, I've merged this thread with another one which may be of interest. Good luck if you decide to attempt this, but personally I'd keep an eye out on Ebay or Bricklink for a decent used copy :classic:

Here is a summary of all the substitutions I made:

The big wheels: I bought three orange ones from a mars mission set and painted them in lbg

The shield generator domes: Again in a different color, I think shiny gold, and painted them

The dbg barrels on the engines: again different color and painted them

Magnet holders: I used the different kind of holders (with the technic pin) and mounted them to the panel and reinforced them. I have not had any problems with the system but I does come loose sometimes when you nudge against it.

And the larger 6x16 with studs on the egdes were bought in bluish grey and some were painted, not all of them because I thought it looks fine.

I will post some pictures of the painted parts in comparison with the real colors.

You can find the paint I used in this post somewhere.

Good luck

Did you save enough that you think it was worth it in the end, or if you had to do it again would you just buy a used set?

i know this is "some" kind of commercial, if mod´s don´t want it here - just delete it.

As i noticed many members bricklink their UCS i came to the idea to provide "a starterset" as superlot for the UCS Star destroyer.

I listed it yesterday at ........ does not matter.

What do you think, is this a good way to go, or should i skip that superlot thing?

I was able to bricklink this set last year, worth the cost, but a big help was painting the three large wheels. Since then, I have replaced them with official wheels, but for the initial build, painting was fine with me