ER0L

MOC: Yacht "Sirius"

I'm straying pretty far from home waters here, but I'm glad I did. This was quite a treat to find. Great lines, nice application of technique and an overall great design. It's a very clean, streamlined sort of boat, but you've worked in a lot of subtle detail. It's no stretch to say she brightened my day. Thank you for sharing her!

One question; what part did you use for the door?

Nice to hear this from a ship expert. Glad you like her that much! - The door consists of some plates, a technic brick and a tile on top. The whole thing is fixed on the inside of the cabin with a halfstud offset to achieve the protrusion. The white seam is a rubberband http://www.bricklink...gItem.asp?P=x71

I dont remember if I have commented on this one yet, but I have certainly been following the build from earlier WIP photos. (I always follow any "curved-hull" construction with the most interest)

It´s a very lovely boat, full of interresting and well-done detials! A first class build!

Thanks a lot Henrik, you've already commented on her on Flickr as a WIP. Glad to hear that from a "curved-hull expert"!

This MOC definitely deserve all its praise. It is so elegant. I would really try my hands at doing a similar one but will certainly fail in doing it as nice as that one.

Would you per any chance show how the boat looks from underneath?

One of the best Lego creations I have ever seen

Glad you like it that much!

This MOC definitely deserve all its praise. It is so elegant. I would really try my hands at doing a similar one but will certainly fail in doing it as nice as that one.

Would you per any chance show how the boat looks from underneath?

Many thanks! Being my first vessel this was learning by doing for me, too - I was glad that there was Joshua's boat to get an impression of proportions and dimensions of this type of yacht. Would be nice to welcome a third commuter yacht in the LEGO Yacht Club. - I'm sorry, it would take some effort to get the underside as presentable as the rest of the vessel (and I'm glad I'm finished with it). But the construction as such is no secret (see above). If there are special questions, please ask.

Thank you. I defiantly had one of those "now I get it" moments. It's the simplest things that have the greatest effect sometimes. I'm glad I was tempted to go off site to find this fabled Flickr WIP topic as I hadn't seen her lighted when I commented before. The effect looks great, BTW and I'd suggest you amend your topic with the inclusion of one of this images as well. I never did find any WIP images though and would be rather interested my self to see some of your process broken down. 

I dont remember if I have commented on this one yet, but I have certainly been following the build from earlier WIP photos. (I always follow any "curved-hull" construction with the most interest)

It´s a very lovely boat, full of interresting and well-done detials! A first class build!

Indeed..?

Thank you! The lighting thing will surely be featured in the future when there is more surrounding - I'm just trying to illuminate anything possible since I think this will enhance the look of a Lego town very much. Btw. there's no "WIP topic", but you may find some WIP pics in my Flickr photostream.

Lovely Yacht! :wub_drool: I really like the curve of the hull and the flag on the back :thumbup:

Thanks a lot, glad you like it!

Many thanks all for commeting and viewing! Glad that so many people like the yacht.

This is definitely one of the best boats I have ever seen made by LEGO bricks. The subtle curves and simple color scheme...this model makes me drool!

This is definitely one of the best boats I have ever seen made by LEGO bricks. The subtle curves and simple color scheme...this model makes me drool!

Many thanks, glad you like it!

Very impressive! I am a fan of classic boats and would like to build this myself. By any chance do you have a LDD copy of the build? Thank you :classic:

Very impressive! I am a fan of classic boats and would like to build this myself. By any chance do you have a LDD copy of the build? Thank you :classic:

Thank you, glad you like it! I'm sorry, but there is no LDD of the build, I don't even work with it.

Since the thread is up again, I may add a new picture of the yacht afloat:

20819998411_7be0332be8_z.jpg

My home town hosted a classic boat festival this past weekend and Sirius would have been a contender for awards. However my son and I may have had problems going aboard like the other boats allowed. :)

20994242148_510356dd31_m.jpg

Still a lovely and masterful build. Nice new photo!

Thanks a lot Henrik, glad you still like her!

She's a beaut, again

Many thanks, again!.

My home town hosted a classic boat festival this past weekend and Sirius would have been a contender for awards. However my son and I may have had problems going aboard like the other boats allowed. :)

I see. :wink: Glad you like her! Great shot, there's a certain similarity without a doubt.

This is an amazing boat! This should be a real set!

Thanks a lot!

Okay, let me just add another pic (probably the last one) - another night shot (time exposure), now with water, too.

21303411585_31b1ff728e_c.jpg

Jeeez what a cool shot with the lights on! Amazing! It really looks like its out at sea.

Thank you!

Such a great job here EROL! :sweet::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: There's so much to love, not least the fact that it's such a fantastic contrast to the Mohican.

I'm really honored too that my build inspired you to create this beauty. Usually it's the other way around, lol! :laugh:

Thanks Joshua! Well, if there's already a significant model (like Mohican as THE Lego commuter yacht) the challenge is to find different solutions for the details which was fun.

Usually it's the other way around, lol! :laugh:

Really? Didn't know you're a car builder, too ... :wink:

Thanks Joshua! Well, if there's already a significant model (like Mohican as THE Lego commuter yacht) the challenge is to find different solutions for the details which was fun.

Really? Didn't know you're a car builder, too ... :wink:

Thank you EROL! :sweet: That is such a compliment coming from you! I really like the differences in our designs too.

I would love to see the Mohican and Sirius side-by-side at a convention someday.

I wasn't really, until I saw your awesome work. Then I decided to try my hand at cars. I actually have a couple of really good models done, but I haven't taken pictures of them yet. Weather's been bad here lately, so there not enough light for photos. :hmpf_bad:

Cheers,

Joshua

Edited by Sci-FiFleetAdmiral

Hi all,

update for the Sirius which has finally found its berth on Fisherman's Wharf in the Red Crab Bay:

37091609766_09a7c4f680_c.jpg

I rarely buy new Lego sets at a regular price, but the Old Fishing Store excited me from the first moment. And I wasn’t proven wrong when building it: It's a fantastic set with lots of great ideas and an amazing parts choice. If you're ever going to build some marine stuff this set provides you with everything you possibly need (3 sea gulls included).

My first thought was what it would look like together with the yacht, and I took the opportunity to finally build a berth for it. The yacht isn't only a major asset of Erol Cruises - you may also go aboard for a fishing trip. Tickets are sold by Anton who probably is also the harbor master of Fisherman's Wharf (hence the watchtower). 

Of course all this is far from being finished (and I won't finish it right now due to other projects), it's just a start to see how a harbour section could be accomplished that goes well with the Route 66 layout. 

Regarding the MOD itself: The wharf situation required some modifications on the building which originally rather seems to be installed on a somewhat rocky beach. Another point was to install all the great fishing gear at the outside since the interior of the build (which is fantastic, too) can't be seen on a layout. That's why I opened the wooden understructure and enlarged the platform. I also shrunk the roof a little (2 studs in length and width), however, this will be something to work on.

Thanks for looking!