Sign in to follow this  
MusicaRibelle

My 2014 Layout: a world in 35 plates

Hello, and thanks for reading!

This is my current home layout, built over various iterations in the last year.

I started with nothing but the desire of getting back into trains and into Lego.

Given I had limited space, I settled for a 4 ftx6 ft rectangle, or roughy 7 x 5 32-stud baseplates.

Here's the BlueBrick diagram:

16169829012_e6b5db5be2_o.pngLayout in BlueBrick, on Flickr

And here's the first version, with green felt over the raw wood panel:

15548224164_89777ba55e_c.jpgInitial layout

Here's a view from above -- it was not easy to take this picture :)

16168703381_f2d5a72c68_c.jpgLayout full view

Modulars on 'main street' are temporarily with their top floors removed so we can see the whole railroad.

This is a view from the other side:

15984524989_4a8487789a_c.jpgLayout from the back

I am able to run two trains concurrently, and keep a third one on a side line, which has been good for a while.

Now I want to build more, and I am again kind of out of space..

..problem is, in the meantime I also got somewhat addicted to modular buildings.. so it's a constant struggle to use space as best as possible.

I eventually opted for a 'custom' road between two rows of buildings, which saved me some space.

I also wanted to have a feeling of a small but vibrant town, pedestrian and bike friendly. No private cars.

The little smart-like cars mimic the 'car2go' shared cars we have in Seattle.

The tunnel helped creating some more space for buildings:

15550805523_5fe26f0dd4_c.jpgTunnel

The other good thing about the current layout is that it leaves enough space for a decent station:

15548395234_6d49def8fc_c.jpgTrain Station - Stazione

Still a WIP, once I'm more satisfied with the interior I'll add more pictures and a post for that.

I think I will now look for a different 'iteration' and different layout.. suggestions?

I could possibly expand the available space by one baseplate in either (but not both!) direction.

I would like to accommodate 4 or 5 trains, and at this point I don't care anymore to run several of them at the same time. I just want to build and display more trains :)

Lastly, thanks for all of you who participate in the forum and keep it alive. This is my first year "back" in lego and I learned a lot from all of you and your great creations.

Keep on building!

Edited by MusicaRibelle

Hello !

Pretty nice layout. If you fall in love with modular you will need much space. :classic: You can save some space by reducing track space from 8 to 4 studs on some parts of the layout (where there is no point). I do it on my layout. It's good for the look and it works fine.

If you want to run more trains, trust me, you will need much more room. :laugh: If you tell me how much space you got and all the track you have, I can design some layout for you. BlueBrick is nice to create layouts.

Looks nice for a small layout. Wish I had the room. Nice to see some sidings as well for goods transfer and the tunnel is a good space saver and allows as you said for extra scenery. I think the only thing I would say is that I think the track would look better ballasted and maybe all mounted on baseplates, but I know that can be a brick/money/time expensive thing to accomplish. Good start though so keep us up to date with any advances that you make please.

@Exa: this is what my Lego room looks like:

16201194992_6540a22be7_z.jpglegoroom

The room itself is not that small, but there are doors pretty much on each side.

The maximum usable space is something like 200 x 200 cm, but with limited access to all sides, which could be a problem in case of derailments :)

anyhow, I'm open to suggestions and not afraid to tear it all apart -- which is one of the reasons I don't have it all ballasted. It is easy to undo.

This is a very simple layout (2m x 2m) witch gives a lot of inner space. Of course, it's really basic. Do you plan to max your track or keep it as small as possible ?

721367Image2.png

Edited by Exa

Thanks, Exa. I'd be happy with more track, and only about 8 baseplates for buildings.

Well, I'm thinking of building more of a yard, so I could have 4-5 trains 'parked' while 1 or 2 can circulate.

I'm afraid 200x200 maybe too big for the space -- but it's good to know what the 'best' scenario is.

This is a slightly bigger layout than what I have now, I'm not happy with it, but I'm trying to figure out how to build a yard with the space available:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/musicarib/Layout-14/withyard.png

I understand your needs and your point of view. I just want to point that a big yard takes a lot of space. I dont have parcking track for all my trains. I prefer remove some trains from the track than build yard for all of them. :) Just my 2 cents. I only go one advise : listen to everyone but do what you want ! It's your track, your fun. :wink:

Update: I've experimented with building a small yard.

It's not great, given the space available, but it's interesting in that I can now fit three trains on the layout while another one runs on either of the two loops, leaving space for a fifth, in case there is a 2015 train... ;)

16073742697_bfdff61eb7_z.jpgYard

Now I need to finish the fourth train, since I only have the engine and tender..