Set Rating  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Outstanding
    • Above Average
    • Average
    • Below Average
    • Poor

Loving Lewa! Great shaping, lovely choices of armour, wonderful weapons, and a very unique mask. Oh, and apple green! Definitely on my shopping list.

For the axes, they seem a little more axe-like if the gunmetal piece is flipped upside-down. It looks like Lewa could do some real damage hacking downwards, and then slashing up with the blade handle on removing the blade from his enemy.

Edited by SnakeMittens

I like lewa. His mask don't looks like his old mask, but it's very cool!

I think if you put his swords like in nuva form and axes in this form then Lewa will be better in flying mode.

I don't think that's true, of any of the Toa in fact.

Ok. I just think Lewa looks stupid. His mask is so close to Onua Mata's that it's sickening, his weapon looks like something a three year old would think up, then discard because it looks dumb. one thing i will give it is that his armor looks sleek, matching his personallity. but the look of the jungle protector, with the exception of the bulge of the chestplate, looks pretty cool. it's sleek, the mask looks beastly, the weapon is awesome, and the feet remind me of bear paws, giving him the animalistic look.

But if you like the look, I won't judge. I've given my thoughts on why I personally don't like the design, but that's the reason we were given opinions.

Ok. I just think Lewa looks stupid. His mask is so close to Onua Mata's that it's sickening,

Sickening, eh? I mean I guess if toys sicken you... the mask doesn't really look like the original Pakari. Maybe in loose shape. I don't remember the Pakari having a plated look. I do remember it looking awesome, though, so I would think anything resembling it would look good as a result?
his weapon looks like something a three year old would think up, then discard because it looks dumb.
You mean axes? Didn't the original Lewa have, like, an axe as well?
But if you like the look, I won't judge. I've given my thoughts on why I personally don't like the design, but that's the reason we were given opinions.

How nice of you to not judge. :) I guess I'll just have to resolve to my opinion being that your opinion doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Sickening, eh? I mean I guess if toys sicken you... the mask doesn't really look like the original Pakari. Maybe in loose shape. I don't remember the Pakari having a plated look. I do remember it looking awesome, though, so I would think anything resembling it would look good as a result?

Ok, so sickening wasn't quite the right word... but to me, it's an updated look, but i still thought it looks almost identical to onua mata's, heck, i'd go as far as saying it looks more like onua mata's then the new onua's, and it doesn't really look great with the design of lewa's body. I can't really explain why, but it strikes me as kind of a derpy look...

You mean axes? Didn't the original Lewa have, like, an axe as well?

I actually meant the katanas sticking under his hands... they stick out, and look all around tacky...

How nice of you to not judge. :) I guess I'll just have to resolve to my opinion being that your opinion doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I hope that helps you understand my opinion. :)

Ok, so sickening wasn't quite the right word... but to me, it's an updated look, but i still thought it looks almost identical to onua mata's, heck, i'd go as far as saying it looks more like onua mata's then the new onua's, and it doesn't really look great with the design of lewa's body. I can't really explain why, but it strikes me as kind of a derpy look...

It deffinitely doesn't look more like Onua's. Like, aside from having two eyes and a hole at the top, they're in no way similar.
I actually meant the katanas sticking under his hands... they stick out, and look all around tacky...
Well, that's so he has swords when the axe heads are turned into wingfans. Otherwise they're the handle of the axes, and he's just gripping up near the top.

Then again I'll be turning the axes into swords when I get mine anyway.

It deffinitely doesn't look more like Onua's. Like, aside from having two eyes and a hole at the top, they're in no way similar.

I guess that's all up to perspective then...

Then again I'll be turning the axes into swords when I get mine anyway.

That would actually work better... i guess that would clear up the almost all problems i have with lewa.

I suppose that the cheek vents, forehead vent, and mouth hole of the new Mask of Jungle could be compared to the stylized Mata Nui Online Game version of the Pakari, but it doesn't really resemble the physical mask much at all. And I think that its angular chin and playful, smiling expression really do help it resemble the classic Kanohi Miru in some respects. It might not bear the closest resemblance to Lewa's original mask, but I think that it suits Lewa as a character just fine, with its angular jawline and playful grin.

I suppose that the cheek vents, forehead vent, and mouth hole of the new Mask of Jungle could be compared to the stylized Mata Nui Online Game version of the Pakari, but it doesn't really resemble the physical mask much at all.

I've never actually played or seen footage of the mata nui online game, so i was actually referring to the physical Pakari Mata.

And I think that its angular chin and playful, smiling expression really do help it resemble the classic Kanohi Miru in some respects. It might not bear the closest resemblance to Lewa's original mask, but I think that it suits Lewa as a character just fine, with its angular jawline and playful grin.

Upon closer inspection, i see some differences, but it still more like the Pakari to me...

I bought Lewa mainly because he has in my opinion the coolest mask of the 2015 Toa. I also think his shoulder construction is awesome and how those spikes hide the gearbox fairly well. My only complaint is his colour scheme, too much contrast on the colours.

EDIT: My Review

I just finished constructing Lewa and overall I don't feel like this is a superb set and there are more negative things to say than positives.

In hand, the colours are even worse. It's not so much the bright green (although I would've preferred a darker shade) it's the yellowish-orange and the grey/silver that makes it offputting. If the grey and silver parts were switched with the gunmetal colour (axe blade colours) and the yellowish-orange with gold, I think Lewa would've have been a lot more aesthetically pleasing.

I also have a few issues with the build, it doesn't feel very complete or stable. There's two unused ball joints on the frame/skeleton which really makes the hollowness of the chest area very apparent. Additionally, I feel that the set should have came with two more pieces, those pistons to attach onto his shoulders, which vastly improves Lewa's look. I'm pretty indifferent about the gear action as well, it can be pretty silly depending on how his arm is posed.

Pros:

Gold Mask - probably my favourite part of the set, the mask design is actually kind of reminiscent of Ultron, will be good for Mocs

Axe Blades - if these were in different colours I probably would have listed these as cons, but the gunmetal colour is very nice

Cons:

Build - no effort is made to hide the hollowness of the chest area at all

Stability - a lot more difficult to balance a pose (compared to Kopaka)

Colours - just doesn't fit (probably the biggest con, if Lewa had a great colour scheme, I would be more forgiving)

Chest design - *barf* :sick:

Lewa isn't completely terrible, but falls short in many areas. Personally, I regret purchasing Lewa instead of Gali, Although, I only have Kopaka to compare Lewa against (to be fair) and Kopaka is nearly perfect in my opinion. Ultimately, Lewa's fate remains unchanged... he will be scrapped for parts :devil_laugh: .

Edited by LegendaryArticuno

I suppose it's customary for me now to suggest MODs and give my opinion so here we go.

The fact that he has the largest mask bothers me immensely, mostly thanks to Onua having the smallest mask. It's a trivial detail at face value but it feels really jarring after a while.

I'm with VVBN on this one, the adrenaline mode sucks. His gear function is impeded by the extra weight on the forearms and the concessions made (way too long arms and ugly connectors) aren't worth it. I'd just pull a Gali and put the axes on his feet like jet boots or something. That way you can shorten the arms and lower the gearbox without it looking silly.

Also if you have Jetbug just use his shells for his legs. It honestly works wonders for him.

Lewa's mask looks good in design and would be perfect for one of my Mocs but as Lewa yeah no it doesn't work for me.

I suppose it's customary for me now to suggest MODs and give my opinion so here we go.

The fact that he has the largest mask bothers me immensely, mostly thanks to Onua having the smallest mask. It's a trivial detail at face value but it feels really jarring after a while.

I'm with VVBN on this one, the adrenaline mode sucks. His gear function is impeded by the extra weight on the forearms and the concessions made (way too long arms and ugly connectors) aren't worth it. I'd just pull a Gali and put the axes on his feet like jet boots or something. That way you can shorten the arms and lower the gearbox without it looking silly.

Also if you have Jetbug just use his shells for his legs. It honestly works wonders for him.

Personally, I think Lewa's lankiness is one of his most endearing features, so shortening his arms or putting larger shells on his legs aren't even on my radar as changes I think the model needs.

And I'm not sure what you mean about the adrenalin mode impeding the gear function — I think it works just fine in both modes. Wouldn't his gear function need to support the same weight either way? It's not like you're adding new pieces in adrenalin mode that aren't connected to his gearbox in battle mode. The only change is the load on his wrists, and they have to support less of the weapon weight in adrenalin mode, not more.

Personally, I think Lewa's lankiness is one of his most endearing features, so shortening his arms or putting larger shells on his legs aren't even on my radar as changes I think the model needs.

And I'm not sure what you mean about the adrenalin mode impeding the gear function — I think it works just fine in both modes. Wouldn't his gear function need to support the same weight either way? It's not like you're adding new pieces in adrenalin mode that aren't connected to his gearbox in battle mode. The only change is the load on his wrists, and they have to support less of the weapon weight in adrenalin mode, not more.

I think I could have worded it better so here we go.

On the topic of his adrenaline mode, the only real reason his lower arms are so lanky and Gen 1 length is to accomodate for the axe blades which IMO looks silly. What I meant was the focus on the forearms rather than the weapon makes using the function feel super-awkward because it goes outwards. Imagine using Tahu Nuva's function, only he has extra swords on the sides of his arms. Not to mention posing him in this mode looks awkward.

Also, I'm all for more sleek and lanky proportions (lower arms are still one module longer than the others on my mods) but I can't help but feel that something is wrong when the supposed agile flying toa has more of a hunchback than either of the original hunchbacks (again Pohatu especially, who has very little going for him as it is).

I suppose a picture would help, but till then I may as well explain the legs. The shells I refer to are the 6 long shells, placing these with the piston add-on at the bottom, combined with the axe blades on his feet, really gives the vibe of hover boots, which IMO looks much cooler.

Bought him today, I think he's my favourite Toa so far (I still have to get Tahu and Onua).

I have made a

with what I think of Lewa Cyberman of Jungle.

Anyways I think Lewa is one of the best master sets (along with Onua being 2nd) of the masters, even if his mask don't look like his original mask and more of a cyberman. 4 of the masters don't even look that good and Gali is the worst one out of them all. I haven't liked his bright light orange color but it started to grow on me, and I now think it fits well, and the chest armor printing (or sticker with LegoMation bad logic :P) I don't like and it's pretty odd looking to me.

The really tall shoulders I hate, because he can't move his head up and just think what would happen when he's flying. Also those technic pieces sticking out really bugs me, but they are needed. The weapons I do like in my opinion because it's like a mix of the Mata and Nuva weapon.

Last Lewa have the best "KNOB" function out of all the masters and it works perfectly.

Edited by ShadowWolfHount

Got Lewa the other week, and I love him (surprise surprise), even without the mods I gave him, which were more a case of "Why not?" than "There's this glaring flaw I need to fix" (I'd file the 2.0 torso and the silver feet and hands under that, but it seems most people are fine with those..).

PROS: Overall, the figure looks like an updated yet very faithful representation of the character's 2001 incarnation. The figure's lanky yet muscular build, the long monkey-like arms and the unique shoulder armour design are brilliant, and so is the mask. As I said before, for all the flak the "Mask of Jungle" gets, I think it looks fantastic and is a proper recreation of the 2001 Miru, which happens to be my favourite G1 masks to this day.

I didn't have any problem with his tall shoulders, I actually wanted to keep them but he ended up looking TOO bulky when combined with the mods I gave to the arms (in order for them to look less bland), so I lowered the gearbox by one module like many are doing to their Lewa sets.

CONS: Yeah, the arms are the worst part of the set for me: the orientation of the lower arms shells (despite it being needed for Lewa's Adrenaline mode, more on this later) looks awkward and they don't have any additional covering (Gali's have this problem too, but I guess their shorter length and the transparent bones make it less bothersome). Also, the "Kaiju fin" (that name is pretty popular so might as well use it myself) on Lewa's back actually moves around- it's not a HUGE problem since it's your average high friction black pin, but I saw no one mentioning it and I was surprised when I found that out while building him.

OTHER STUFF

I...like the yellow shells, but they still feel odd, especially since Lewa is the only one without any transparent elements (aside from his eyes, obviously). So I went with tr. bright green shells like others suggested, and that's the only colour scheme modification I'm willing to carry out on this year's sets (that, and Vardy's dark tan shells on Pohatu, they seriously work wonders on him). I tried keeping the yellow shells while adding Pohatu's tr. neon green bones, but it was just too bright. I wonder how Skull Slicer's (gorgeous) tr. bright green bones would look on him? I guess I'll have to wait a few months to find that out.

Finally, I think the Adrenaline Mode is pretty good, but I agree it's not worth the awkward arm build (and awkward sword handles that don't even match the axe heads in colour) the set ended up getting. I might BL a pair of titanium metallic Ninjago/Speeda Demon giant katanas and try to do something a bit different, but we're going into MOC territory now.

Last Lewa have the best "KNOB" function out of all the masters and it works perfectly.

Gonna have to agree on this. His arms are free to swing without any obstacles (like Tahu's/Gali's shoulder armour or Tahu's blade wings). I did however add a third set of small gears for higher friction, like Ekimu's hammer arm.

I've had Lewa for well over a month and really my only complaint are the weapons(though still badass). The "handle" area makes it really un-proportioned, I would have suggested giving him one axe with a long axle piece connecting the blade to the hand giving him a weapon more akin to his Mata axe. As for them katana's I would say keep them but maybe add a sheath to his back if people don't want them being used with the axe.

As for the gearbox and IFB talons(kaiju fin) restricting the head articulation I really don't mind. The compact look fits him and it almost seems that he would be the kind of character to turn his whole body when focusing on something or someone as opposed to turning his head.