Hinckley

10246 Detective's Office

I built the first level (bags 1 ad 2) yesterday, hopefully will finish it today. Unfortunately the small size has already become apparent- I couldn't fit my hand into Al's barbershop to place the minifigs- couldn't reach the barber chair nor even the studs on the floor to just place Al in there. Was very disappointing. Not designed for adult hands. Frustrating. (and yes I had the steps moved out of the way and even the lights taken off the wall.)

Edited by BirdOPrey5

Oh, dear that sort of stuffs up the play factor doesn't it ?

Maybe it might be an idea to install the minifigs in position during construction ?

I built the first level (bags 1 ad 2) yesterday, hopefully will finish it today. Unfortunately the small size has already become apparent- I couldn't fit my hand into Al's barbershop to place the minifigs- couldn't reach the barber chair nor even the studs on the floor to just place Al in there. Was very disappointing. Not designed for adult hands. Frustrating. (and yes I had the steps moved out of the way and even the lights taken off the wall.)

Yes, but most important, are you enjoying the storyline?

It could be worse.....JB could of included power functions to operate the hiding of the candy ! :laugh:

Edited by lightningtiger

Yes, but most important, are you enjoying the storyline?

Could not care less about the storyline... while building the first level I was wondering how many pieces may have been saved without having the hidden compartments that could have gone to making the room two studs deeper.

Oh, dear that sort of stuffs up the play factor doesn't it ?

Maybe it might be an idea to install the minifigs in position during construction ?

Would strongly suggest those with big hands place the minifigs before the walls get too high. I put the cop woman in the barber chair and Al on the studs right next to the door. When building the pool hall the minifig for the dart player and pool player are actually part of the instructions, but not so for the barber shop half.

Edited by BirdOPrey5

... while building the first level I was wondering how many pieces may have been saved without having the hidden compartments that could have gone to making the room two studs deeper.

I just finished building it and had the exact same though while building the ground floor - too many play features and too little "space."

That said, I was very happy with the overall build and am really pleased with the finished product.

Brickman's office had lots of interesting details and I really liked the creativity and parts use in some of the finishing-touch microbuilds (water tower and newspaper box).

Now that my building is complete and in-place on my modular street, I think its small size and varied architecture is actually a plus because it does a nice job adding every day buildings that help visually "break up" some of the larger sets and make the street feel like a "real city."

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by this set and how it looks on the street so wanted to share the final installed pics in case anyone was interested:

IMG_2657_zps6032c11b.jpg

IMG_2658_zps6a1d62ef.jpg

Edited by PastVPresent

I think the DO looks out of place. It needs another floor.

With that said, I just finished the pool hall portion of the build. If pieces are going to be wasted on non structural components, at least the pool table and ceiling fan are interesting wastes of pieces.

I wish they'd just raise the price to $199 and given me the size building I want while still giving others the play factor and story line that so many 'adults' seem to desire.

With that said, I just finished the pool hall portion of the build. If pieces are going to be wasted on non structural components, at least the pool table and ceiling fan are interesting wastes of pieces.

I wish they'd just raise the price to $199 and given me the size building I want while still giving others the play factor and story line that so many 'adults' seem to desire.

Fair enough Off the Wall, I would love to see pictures of your expanded modulars, especially an expanded DO, if/when you have and are ready to share

Fair enough Off the Wall, I would love to see pictures of your expanded modulars, especially an expanded DO, if/when you have and are ready to share

I still don't have a picture hosting site. But, I'm always happy to take pictures and email them. I keep intending on getting a picture hosting site, but never seem to get around to it.

My first DO is still under construction. I have two more ordered and will probably get at least one more and then start on the expanded version. These generation two modulars just beg for expansion.

Guess those pics clearly show that DO should not be put anywhere near TH.

Even PR works better next to it than the DO, and that's with the higher side of DO next to TH.

Luckily, I won't have that problem anytime soon as I haven't built my TH yet, and most likely will immediately expand the DO upon purchase.

FInished the 2nd level (Bag 3) - taking a break - will finish up Bag 4 tonight.

Things I've noticed/done:

1) The paint roller lights look nice but fall right out of the holes if you tilt the floor the wrong way - may end up replacing them with more traditional lights.

2) Clear window right into the toilet- isn't this for kids?

3) Used extra 1x1 black tiles to finish unfinished column in the detective's office between the front windows,.

4) Used extra green flower and 2 left over 1x1 round red plates to look like flowers on top of the grey bin between the windows in the detective's office (the one with the briefcase and money in it) rather than seeing 2 unused grey studs.

5) With leftover plant stem and 3 various color flowers planted a flower behind the right most window on the ground in the back.

I really like the drop down fire-escape ladder.

Edited by BirdOPrey5

I'm through bags one and two. No issues as of now. Cleaver interior features. Only complaint at this point is that the final product should be a story taller.

I put the extra silver 1x1 cupcake part on the bottom of the barber pole, to make it symmetrical with the top...makes it a little too long maybe... :-) Am I the only one that thinks the columns on the ground floor of the Highlander windows look like rolling pins?

Guess those pics clearly show that DO should not be put anywhere near TH.

Even PR works better next to it than the DO, and that's with the higher side of DO next to TH.

Hmm, I kind of disagree here. I like how the skyline of the modular street has different height and style. A leveled skyline would look boring. I agree that the recent modulars lack of grandeur, but I think it is good that TLC proposes different size and syle of building.

Wakwak

Agreed. I'll be putting the FB, GE, and TH one one part of the town and the PC, PS, PR, and DO on another. They'd look pretty good in their respective groups, but not together.

Agreed. I'll be putting the FB, GE, and TH one one part of the town and the PC, PS, PR, and DO on another. They'd look pretty good in their respective groups, but not together.

Interesting, and in my opinion, the best possible grouping. FB, GE and TH all beg for expansion while at least three of the other four seem to be a logical size when grouped together and given the buildings subject matter, maybe in a case or two a bit small.

I am right there with you. I had to have the wife put the barber in his shop as my hands are way to big for it.

1) The paint roller lights look nice but fall right out of the holes if you tilt the floor the wrong way - may end up replacing them with more traditional lights.

Turns out I just had to push them in further.

FInished it... wishes there was another mini-fig or two. Will add an extra level when the set I ordered comes in.

Overall feeling is what there is, is good, just wish there was more of it.

fvwtah.jpg

153xrti.jpg

I have bookended the DO with the two parts of the PS. The PS is on the left by the detective office side and the red apartment house is on the right by Al's. With these two put together as such, the PC doesn't dwarf the DO as much. I have a PR in storage so I will have to figure out where it will be placed. I don't have any of the older modulars so the size issue won't be a problem for me.

What is a size problem is how the barber shop is so small, I can't fit my hand in to place the figures with out being a bull in a China shop. My 7 year old daughter almost can't fit her hand in there either. After getting the bricks we have in storage I will have to try and expand this set.

What is a size problem is how the barber shop is so small, I can't fit my hand in to place the figures with out being a bull in a China shop. My 7 year old daughter almost can't fit her hand in there either. After getting the bricks we have in storage I will have to try and expand this set.

I didn't finish my DO yet, but I really ask myself why they added all these elements for a greater play factor when you actually can't play with it because it is too tiny even for kids hands? I am also for less play elements and bigger buildings - I can't imagine that there are too many kids playing with modular houses to be honest.

I didn't finish my DO yet, but I really ask myself why they added all these elements for a greater play factor when you actually can't play with it because it is too tiny even for kids hands? I am also for less play elements and bigger buildings - I can't imagine that there are too many kids playing with modular houses to be honest.

TLG want all of us to buy two...like i would like to, but after i received my first DO, it isn't possible to order a second one... two orders were cancelled and now i used my parents adress with a new mailadres to order one, but i think this willbe cancelled as well..... weird....

My opinion regarding DO after the build:

First of all - I really enjoyed the build. In general I like the fact that it is smaller than the other modular buildings, this way the skyline doesn't look boring. If you don't care for the interior it's at least nice from the outside.

What I don't like is the fact that the blue building and the fake brown building are not really well thought out. What I mean is that there is no door in the entrance to the staircase in the blue house. The blue house itself is no "real" house as it contains just a bathroom (with clear window) and a kitchen. You can enter the detectives office only through the blue house, and so on.

Hopefully we'll have a bigger modular next year as I really prefer different sizes. I would also be happy to pay more if I get a well thought out, more realistic modular with a nice interior. Something like GG, that was perfect in my book. A beautiful building with complete ground floor and a 1st and 2nd floor which leaves room for your own interior ideas.

Hmm, I kind of disagree here. I like how the skyline of the modular street has different height and style. A leveled skyline would look boring. I agree that the recent modulars lack of grandeur, but I think it is good that TLC proposes different size and syle of building.

Wakwak

So do I; looking at the picture PastVPresent posted, I love the way it 'breaks' the skyline.

Personal taste, I suppose.

I wouldn't mind a modular of a different height, but it needs to be wide enough, the pet shop/townhouse are OK but any slimmer is too slim. A 3 story and a 2 story 50/50 split or even a 4 story/1 story split would be fine with me, but make it at least 16 studs wide each and make it as deep as possible- I don't need nor was 8 empty studs in back.