gmshades

Models purchased that where built wrong

On the other hand, by daughter was able to build Technic sets marked "Ages 12+" when she was 7 with no problem whatsoever. Sometimes it is hard to appreciate that something is a skill when it comes so naturally to you, and easy to forget that not everyone has that skill.

When I'm working with Technic in the living room my daughter (now 6) will come and start taking the part and tinker with making stuff.

We also shouldn't forget that some of us have been "playing" with Lego for 30 or so years. What is common knowledge and experience to us isn't to everyone else.

It is not just technical aptitude, but experience that matters. We all have different levels of the two traits.

v/r

Andy

You would think that anyone would be able to understand the building instructions no matter what. I can't see what's so difficult to understand...

You would think that anyone would be able to understand the building instructions no matter what. I can't see what's so difficult to understand...

That's true with how simple the instructions are now, vs. my first set

8042-1.jpg?0

It's not that hard to mix something up in a build.

And think about who is selling complete sets. Probably not AFOLs. So someone gets a Technic set from his nice wife for Christmas, Builds it without enough attention, mixes something up (like a flipped differential, that most of us have had it wrong at least once in our "careers") probably notices the fault but not enthusiastic enough to rebuild the whole thing, and sells the sets since it's not working, and not that interesting (since his not an AFOL) to keep it (or it is even embarrassing to keep, since it's not working).

So I think if you buy assembled sets, the chance that it's built wrong is significantly higher than the average.

Edited by Lipko

Well, I guess I take it for granted that a person building a set would read the instructions carefully enough to avoid mistakes.

It's also possible they put the set together really quickly for the purpose of taking pictures to sell it and didn't really care about the details.

While the instructions are usually good, once in a while it's a little ambiguous exactly where a part goes. For example on 42030 the black panels that make up the front edge of the rear mudguards, because there is a gap between that part and the rest of the fender and the angle of the model in the instructions it's hard to tell whether it goes flush at the top edge with the parts behind it or shifted up one pin. I've seen it in both positions in people's photos on here.

I once bought an 8880 fully assembled. First thing I did was to take it apart and wash all the parts. When I tried to put it back, I could not do it exactly as received. The seller had modified the seats and engine support and used different parts (that did not exist when 8880 came out) than those that came with the set. It was a good deal, but I had to buy some extra parts off bricklink to complete it.

Not sure about built wrong, but i did buy the A and B model of Technic 8256 off Ebay...when i got them i discovered they were rebuilt using incorrect parts and colours!

I was livid, while it was very cheap for both of them i had to go source the right parts in the right colours which cost me.

I got 8258 when it first came out, spent a fortune so was disappointed when I couldn't get the arm to work. It baffled me for months before I finally realised that I may have built it wrong. I took it apart and re built it, it still didn't work correctly. Since then, I have taken it apart maybe ten 10 and rebuilt it, all to the same avail. I have given up and now live with the fact that I will never have it working. Just proves that no matter how simple instructions are, theres always something that can be cocked up.

Maybe you made a mistake earlier during building the chassis, have you ever tried to rebuild the model completely? There is quite a mess in the gearbox...